Thread poster: Francesca Battaglia
Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:41
French to English
+ ...
With Jenny Aug 31, 2008

Yes, my boys say that our house is the tidiest of all their friends' - although I don't believe it for one moment. I'm sure it's just a ruse to avoid clearing up their rooms! In saying that, I do feel much happier if the house is superficially tidy so everywhere apart from the boys' rooms probably does look tidy on the surface, although it's nowhere near up to my mother's standards! I haven't cleaned the windows for ages and there are three baskets full of ironing - one for each of us! I stopped... See more
Yes, my boys say that our house is the tidiest of all their friends' - although I don't believe it for one moment. I'm sure it's just a ruse to avoid clearing up their rooms! In saying that, I do feel much happier if the house is superficially tidy so everywhere apart from the boys' rooms probably does look tidy on the surface, although it's nowhere near up to my mother's standards! I haven't cleaned the windows for ages and there are three baskets full of ironing - one for each of us! I stopped doing the boys' ironing when they hit that age where they were wearing several outfitis a day and thowing them into the wash basket barely worn.... My younger son's current nickname for me is Monica (the fussy one from from Friends....), as he says I like everything to be perfect.... I wish! With two teenage boys and two furry dogs (one of whom also distributes toys around the house with gay abandon), there's no chance of that!

As for gardening, I'm with Francesca on that one. I love my garden and it and my allotment are my favourite places to unwind. They're definitely much more ordered than the house!

[Edited at 2008-08-31 12:46]
Collapse

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 05:11
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
This really happened to me... Aug 31, 2008

... once I really had to search for the mouse on my table while working!!

Earlier, I was under the impression that having a larger desk would solve the problem and I got a special 7 feet by 3 feet table made with a book shelf above it fixed to the wall. Now it appears that I chose a size too small - the older, smaller desk appears to have been less cluttered even in its worst state. Unfortunately I can't have a larger desk than this because the room itself is 10 by 14.

... See more
... once I really had to search for the mouse on my table while working!!

Earlier, I was under the impression that having a larger desk would solve the problem and I got a special 7 feet by 3 feet table made with a book shelf above it fixed to the wall. Now it appears that I chose a size too small - the older, smaller desk appears to have been less cluttered even in its worst state. Unfortunately I can't have a larger desk than this because the room itself is 10 by 14.

It's not the desk alone that is cluttered. Once my wife asked me picking up a crumb from our bed, "Is this yesterday's?"

After examining the food article closely, I calmly corrected her, "No that's a piece of jackfruit chips that I and the child had been eating four days ago. We ate fryums on the bed yesterday while reading a book together."

As a physics student I know the entropy of the world (and consequently that of my room, etc.,) is constantly increasing, and there is precious little that we humans can do about it.

So I have solid, unassailable scientific backing for the messiness of my room.
Collapse

Ivana Friis Søndergaard
Ivana Friis Søndergaard
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:41
Member (2008)
English to Danish
+ ...
Used to be tidy Aug 31, 2008

- but 2 kids and a husband ruined that

I have just moved to the UK and I threw away most of my belongings to avoid taking them with me. A great relief! I am hoping to keep up the good work now...

I must say I never do any ironing. My mother in law thinks I am insane

Francesca Battaglia
Francesca Battaglia
Italy
Local time: 01:41
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
spacious surfaces are dangerous Aug 31, 2008

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:

ahah, that makes me laugh so much! This is the typical mistake women do with bags, actually. You buy bigger bags, bigger and then bigger again..and in the end you have the Mary Poppins bag and you won't be finding that mascara for years..
Sometimes I am even afraid to clean up my bag, scared of finding some dead (or alive?) animal!
I figure out that the trick is to simply keep very few things - too bad that this is simply IMPOSSIBLE!

The more room, the more things can be put in/on/by/under/around/.......you name it....

Juliana Brown
Juliana Brown  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 19:41
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
My "system" Aug 31, 2008

My system is very simple. Maria (bless her) comes on Tuesday and cleans properly. In between I do laundry for the kids, keep the kitchen more or less acceptable (messy but clean), and everything else is in piles. My husband goes mad running around asking for papers, bills, etc. "where is the phone bill?" why can't I find anything?" and I sit quietly at the computer until he runs out of breath and then reach behind me, eyes still on the screen, and pluck out the bill in question.
Someone e
... See more
My system is very simple. Maria (bless her) comes on Tuesday and cleans properly. In between I do laundry for the kids, keep the kitchen more or less acceptable (messy but clean), and everything else is in piles. My husband goes mad running around asking for papers, bills, etc. "where is the phone bill?" why can't I find anything?" and I sit quietly at the computer until he runs out of breath and then reach behind me, eyes still on the screen, and pluck out the bill in question.
Someone else may see piles, but I see brilliantly organised groupings of paper. I know where everything is to the last receipt, but if I die tomorrow (bli ayin hara...tfu tfu tfu...I'm superstitious), no one will ever find anything!
BTW, I work on the dining room table usually, with coffee cups, childrens' artwork, extra keyboard and sundry hairclips, etc. It is messy, and until someone builds me an office from which I can also keep an eye on what's happening at home, here I'll stay.
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

mother-in-law, creativity, ironing, small apartments, etc. Aug 31, 2008

Haha, I see the clutter battle rages on around the world...

I read this thread, got inspired and attacked one daughter's bedroom in an attempt to switch her clothes from summer to fall, see what fits and what doesn't, etc., for school, but our problem is that summer has only just arrived after a cold and rainy season, so I can't really stuff her drawers with long-sleved sweaters just yet... so as I so often say to my hu
... See more
Haha, I see the clutter battle rages on around the world...

I read this thread, got inspired and attacked one daughter's bedroom in an attempt to switch her clothes from summer to fall, see what fits and what doesn't, etc., for school, but our problem is that summer has only just arrived after a cold and rainy season, so I can't really stuff her drawers with long-sleved sweaters just yet... so as I so often say to my husband (about various and sundry items), "What shall I do, just stand here holding this thing until someone needs it?"

Everything that comes in the house - mail, customer invoices, towels from the pool area, tools, etc. - it all ends up on *my* things - my desk, the kitchen counter, my bed - for Mummy to sort out. My husband is forever saying "Where's the (insert whatever here) - I handed it right to you!" Which he most certainly did, regardless of the item, he just needs to walk away from it... He once handed me a $1000 cheque to deposit - while I sat in my bubble bath!

As for everyone here, of course we're a messy bunch - we're creative types after all

And as for ironing - my mother-in-law once told me she takes clothes out of the dryer as soon as they're done. "I do as little ironing as possible," she told me. I love her I only iron when I go out to interpret or meet clients now.

When we moved to our current house, both sets of parents saw this as an opportunity to clear out some of their unwanted stuff, by parking it at our place. My turn now. My kids are years (decades) away from doing me the same favour, so I'm holding one humdinger of a yard sale next weekend!

Now, back to the clothes. Two other kids to sort out, the youngest being a girl, so I have to save the oldest's stuff for her, hm, gotta make room for that. My son's stuff, though, out the door it goes, to a nephew. And there's always eBay, although I haven't attempted that yet.

Nancy

[Edited at 2008-08-31 16:12]
Collapse

Francesca Battaglia
Francesca Battaglia
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ebay Aug 31, 2008

NOTE: if you ever feel you need a silver plated fame, it's on sale on the Italian ebay for just 10Eur

anyone?.............ANYONE?..........................

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:41
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
This would make such a nice poll! Aug 31, 2008

Please consider suggesting it separately for the Quick Polls.

I am a neat freak, so is my husband. Things have their place, even if it piles up at times (such as junk mail that needs to be shredded, which is work).

The cat seems to suffer from this obsessive-compulsive disorder, too: Whenever we put her approx. 2 million toys away, namely in a special little box, it takes her less than five minutes to spread them out strategically all over the house again, which is wher
... See more

I am a neat freak, so is my husband. Things have their place, even if it piles up at times (such as junk mail that needs to be shredded, which is work).

The cat seems to suffer from this obsessive-compulsive disorder, too: Whenever we put her approx. 2 million toys away, namely in a special little box, it takes her less than five minutes to spread them out strategically all over the house again, which is where they belong and where we can step on them, probably to eventually break our necks.

Collapse

Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
English to Russian
+ ...
Dana Rinaldi, you made my day! Aug 31, 2008

Dana Rinaldi wrote:
Besides it is pure joy when my mother-in-law comes in (she's my neighbour) and from behind my computer I can see her glancing around ..... Believe me, I can read her mind: "oh my poor son... " and this honestly makes my day.

My absolute admiration for this sort of attitude!

I wish I were that strong... But I'm not. My ex-mother-in-law glancing around and her unspoken words that I still could read (aren't all mother-in-laws the same?) were really hitting my nerves. So, 13 years ago I divorced! Now me and my mess are very happy together.

The only part of my house that is tidy is my computer's hard drive - everything is in neat folders there, so I can find whatever I want quickly. Oh, I wish the dishes could be washed with a click of a mouse...

Liliana Roman-Hamilton
Liliana Roman-Hamilton  Identity Verified
English to Italian
same here Aug 31, 2008

Nicole Schnell wrote:

The cat seems to suffer from this obsessive-compulsive disorder, too: Whenever we put her approx. 2 million toys away, namely in a special little box, it takes her less than five minutes to spread them out strategically all over the house again, which is where they belong and where we can step on them, probably to eventually break our necks.

Same here Nicole!
Last year I bought a big basket to put my dog's toys in. In the beginning the toys would all fit in there, snuggly. Now the basket is packed with toys, one on top of the other, like a pyramid. And one of my doggie's favorite games is to stick his head in the pile, take the toy that is at the very bottom of the basket and when his head comes out the pile of toys crumbles everywhere on the floor! A guy once came by, saw the toys scattered in the living room and said to my husband: "Oh, I didn't know you had a kid!". My husband sheepishly said "no, it's the darn DOG".
Sheeeeesh...

Francesca Battaglia
Francesca Battaglia
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
poll Aug 31, 2008

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Thanks Nicole, I surely will! Glad this topic interested so many people!

Juliana Brown
Juliana Brown  Identity Verified
Israel
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nancy, HELP! Aug 31, 2008

Being in the same neck of the woods as you, I would like to extend my sincere comradeship. I got as far as emptying all the drawers of tank tops, shorts etc. since school starts in 2 days, and then the temperature when back up to 27, so here I am with piles of fall clothes for 4 year old and a five year old with no home, and summer clothes which WERE put away and are now out and about...AAAARGGH!!
BTW, anyone with little girls, let me know if you need clothes for up to 3 year olds! It's c
... See more
Being in the same neck of the woods as you, I would like to extend my sincere comradeship. I got as far as emptying all the drawers of tank tops, shorts etc. since school starts in 2 days, and then the temperature when back up to 27, so here I am with piles of fall clothes for 4 year old and a five year old with no home, and summer clothes which WERE put away and are now out and about...AAAARGGH!!
BTW, anyone with little girls, let me know if you need clothes for up to 3 year olds! It's coming out the windows already!
Collapse

Andrea Jarmuschewski
Andrea Jarmuschewski  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
French to German
+ ...
Finally a kindred spirit :-) Aug 31, 2008

Ivana Friis Wilson wrote:

I must say I never do any ironing. My mother in law thinks I am insane

I'm alway in awe when I here of all those people ironing away! I mostly buy stuff that doesn't need ironing (in my eyes), and I have become a very neat folder of laundry instead. If hubby wants his shirts ironed, he knows where the iron is...

And messy? Yes, my home tends to be rather messy. SOON (I hope) I'll have a cleaning lady come in at least once the week. When I don't translate, I like to be with my family, read, have fun... soooo many interesting things to do. I must say though that I always love it when I just finished cleaning and tidying and everything's neat!

Andrea

Angeliki Papadopoulou
Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 02:41
English to Greek
+ ...
I am decidedly untidy Aug 31, 2008

However there is method in my untidiness and I usually know where things, papers, bills etc can be found; which is why I also have a wonderful lady helping me keep my flat tidy, do the ironing and cut a huge green salad every day. I love her to bits!

Marsha Way
Marsha Way  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
Brilliant topic, Francesca! Sep 1, 2008

As always! I was so happy to read that I am not alone in my clutter. Inside, I am a really organized person, like many of you expressed. We know exactly where things are! But on the outside, I am a mess! The funny thing is that if it weren't for my husband, it would be worse! He hates messes, although he has learned to become more tolerant!
I only iron my kids' tae kwon doe uniforms. My husband irons his own work uniforms! So that word is barely in my vocabulary!
Clients used to com
... See more
As always! I was so happy to read that I am not alone in my clutter. Inside, I am a really organized person, like many of you expressed. We know exactly where things are! But on the outside, I am a mess! The funny thing is that if it weren't for my husband, it would be worse! He hates messes, although he has learned to become more tolerant!
I only iron my kids' tae kwon doe uniforms. My husband irons his own work uniforms! So that word is barely in my vocabulary!
Clients used to come into my dining room/kitchen, since certified translation is a big part of our work, so it always had to be presentable. Now I have an office/school about 2 blocks from the house. So now I have 2 places to clean... Obviously, the house is the one that suffers!
This topic has made me see that there are very different standards involved here, and I am not so far out of the norm!
Thanks, everyone!!!!!!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

are you tidy or messy?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »