Thread poster: Francesca Battaglia

Francesca Battaglia
Italy
Local time: 00:13
Member (2007)
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 30, 2008

So, I bumped against the biggest pile of clothes waiting to be ironed and they fell on the crumbs of the last meal..and possibly also of the previous two...so i looked up and realized that this house is just HORRIBLY MESSY. But I say it's not my fault since I'm sitting at the computer all day and, most of all, THIS HOUSE DOESN'T WANT TO BE INDIPENDENT and start its own cleaning!
hmm
So now I'd like to know, are you tidy or messy? Is your house tidy or your desk is the reflection of a very PERSONAL way of "keeping tidy"..

Direct link Reply with quote

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:13
Dutch to English
+ ...
Extremely tidy ... Aug 30, 2008

... but not all down to me.

I have a cleaning lady (read: lifesaver) who comes in every day. I work best if things around me are organised, so it's money well spent.

Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 15:13
English to Russian
+ ...
You are not alone Aug 30, 2008

In fact, I made a conscious decision to assign the lowest priority to housecleaning.

In fact, if it weren't for this decision, I wouldn't even be able to speak to you today. Thanks to my decision not to worry about cleaning the house, I was able to learn English, Spanish and Portuguese in my twenty years in the USA. Thanks to this decision, I became an interpreter. Thanks to this decision, I read lots of interesting books, as well as articles in magazines and on the internet. Thanks to this decision, I was able to meet many interesting people in many parts of the globe and to stay in touch with them.

My house is extremely messy, and I refuse to be ashamed of it.

Kathryn Litherland  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:13
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
compared to whom? Aug 30, 2008

I think I'm a slob compared to most "regular folk," but it seems I'm the neatest person of my family! It's really a drag...I do work on the weekends because I'd rather do that then spend my weekends asking...telling...threatening...everyone to pick up, or else just picking up after them. (When I'm busy working, I can kind of ignore the chaos).

When it's just me (if I recall--it's been a while!), I have a tendency to leave stuff laying around a bit, but I do go through every few days and tidy up and can, on the whole, maintain a household that's not an embarrassment.

Denise Idel
Israel
Local time: 01:13
Hebrew to Romanian
+ ...
Francesca, Aug 30, 2008

we are twin sisters!!

Liliana Roman-Hamilton  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:13
English to Italian
relatively tidy Aug 31, 2008

We live in a small apartment and I try to keep it as clean as I can, but with a furry dog who's got zillions of stuffed toys that he loooooves to spread all over the house (my fault actually, as I am the one who buys them), it's not an easy task.

I'm at the office Mon thru Fri 9-5.30pm so during the week there's not much time to clean the house, this is why during the week-end I clean as much as I can. Even so, the house always looks a bit untidy, as there's always something in the wrong place (mostly books that I have no place to put, my hubby's hats, small electronics, the dog's toys...). I think it's because the apartment is so small, and the more time passes, the more we pack stuff in the house... So I think I'm in a vicious circle here....

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
You don't even know Aug 31, 2008

You don't even know what a MESS really is until you have seen my place. I say that a clean desk is a sign of a mind in chaos.

So my mind is organized, and that is all that counts. To hell with the rest, I can live with the MESS.

Andrea Ali  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 20:13
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Francesca... Aug 31, 2008

My house is extremely clean and tidy on Tuesdays and Fridays (when the cleaning lady comes)... until my kids come back from school...

Regarding clothes waiting to be ironed, do buy a nice and huge basket and throw them into it! It works wonders

Henry, you brought light to my life: I do not even remember the color of my desk

Cheers,
Andrea

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Order into chaos. Aug 31, 2008

I was messy. It was a complete chaos. A member of my family left me a business-plan for translation and all its notes, all the courses of a programme of commercial engineer, language courses French, German, English, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, Chinese, Russian as well as I.T.courses and administrative follow-up of training courses.
Add to that some 300 gig of files, which are here and there on the hard disk. So, I decided to take some time to put "order into chaos". It will take another month to finish it. From a book about operations management I learned that it is better to order the work-place in order to work better and produce better results. Besides, rework takes time.

[Edited at 2008-08-31 07:26]

Dana Rinaldi
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
Another sister Aug 31, 2008

Francesca,

You must have loads of sisters and brothers out there and I'm one of them.
My pile of ironing is getting higher every day but I have solved this one and have an ironing lady who comes in on Tuesdays......... she's my life saver. I need a cleaning lady too.

The house is a real chaos, toys everywhere (a bit my fault as I allow my children to "express themselves" in every room), books, magazines, mugs.... The only tidy places are my walk-in wardrobe and my study room (office) probably because I rarely work in there as I prefer my kitchen table.
I must add though that I am obsessed with hygiene and the house is clean, it's just very very untidy.

I read somewhere (and Henry mentions it too) that outer tidiness means inner confusion and this is what I tell visitors when they turn up (uninvited) at the front door. Besides it is pure joy when my mother-in-law comes in (she's my neighbour) and from behind my computer I can see her glancing around ..... Believe me, I can read her mind: "oh my poor son... " and this honestly makes my day.

Francesca, you're not alone

Dana

Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Tidy Aug 31, 2008

I've read somewhere that tidiness and disorder take exactly the same amount of energy to be achieved. Far from me being obsessed with cleanings, but if I take a book from the shelf I will put it back there. What's the point in leaving it around for months when eventually I have to put it on the shelf anyway?

Nice topic Fran

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Tidy, messy, it is all relative. Aug 31, 2008

On an absolute level, I am definitely not the tidiest person in the world. But, on the other side, there is always somebody messier than I am, even in my own house, so who sets the standards?

The problem is that when I begin feeling guilty and start tidying up my mess, then I cannot find anything anymore!

Francesca Battaglia
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
genetically only child but... Aug 31, 2008

so glad I found so many twin sisters ans brothers out there! hahaahahha

I have a friend who just bought "roomba", a sort of indipendent hoover that starts the cleaning of the floor when you are not there. She spent some good money on it but not she's the happiest girl
Plus, she has two long hair cats and apparently roomba does wonders with hairs too!
I long thought about the chance in an investment in FINALLY USEFUL TECHNOLOGY but then I looked a little bit around and I came to the conclusion that there's so many things left on the floor (besides crumbles, of course) that Roomba would just keep bumping against Bubo's toys, pillows, unidentified objects...POOPS...hmm

Oh Gianni, you just described our biggest issue here: putting things back to their places. Mainly because very few things have their own place..My boyfriend, he's hopless (and I hate him so much for this): whenever he eats something, he puts anything that is not going into his mouth (see packages, bottles, bottlecaps, napkins, etc...) ON THE SINK grrr when the bin is UNDER THE SINK, say you just need to make a spare movement of the hand AND THROW IT IN THERE! but nope...when the kitchen will be drowning in an ocean of garbage, FRANCESCA WILL DO IT..I tried to just leave it there but, nothing changed...

sob sob

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Superficially tidy ... but please don't look behind the scenes. Aug 31, 2008

I like order and harmony (I'm a Libran) so as a rule my house looks superficially orderly - but PLEASE don't look behind the scenes.
And where does all that dust come from?
Yes, piles of ironing (but hidden in a large basket) and piles of unopened junk mail. When the pile finally collapses, I throw it away.
Oh, how I'd love to have a maid! And a gardener. In fact, a complete staff. Any offers? I'd pay handsomely.
Jenny.

Francesca Battaglia
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
gardener Aug 31, 2008

ahah, Jenny, hwo much do you pay? Cos I might help with the garden Gardening..the only activity that seems to put order into may soul!..until I get back inside..

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

are you tidy or messy?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs