Mobile menu

Off topic: How is the weather in Italy and Greece in December?
Thread poster: casey

casey
United States
Local time: 07:31
Japanese to English
Aug 31, 2008

My wife and I are planning on taking sort of a belated honeymoon trip in December. We're interested in visiting Italy and Greece, but is that a bad time of the year?

Direct link Reply with quote

Francesca Battaglia
Italy
Local time: 13:31
English to Italian
+ ...
where in Italy? Aug 31, 2008

Hi Casey, living in Italy I can try to help you a little It really depends on where exactly you were thinking of going. Northern Italy is COLD COLD COOOOLD, plus it's humid and you feel that cold as it it was twice as cold!
Southern Italy is a bit warmer, less humid too. You are definately getting snow, ice and FOG in Milan, probably in Rome as well, and you might be finding some nicer weather in Sicily.
Although, the weather is really changing lately, I believe it's raining more in the south than in northern areas in these past seasons, so it's really hard to say.
Be ready for some cold weather though.
I believe the best way to face the uncertainty is to stratify your clothes, it always works! As long as you are wearing jeans, some warm shoes, a shirt, a warm sweater and gloves, scarf and a hat, you are fine

oh, and don't forget that the sales period starts from January 7th!

[Edited at 2008-08-31 14:51]

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:31
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Lago di Garda Aug 31, 2008

My wife and I will be spending Christmas near Lake Garda, further north than Milan, so I guess we'd better take all our cold weather gear with us!

Liliana Roman-Hamilton  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:31
English to Italian
agree Aug 31, 2008

I totally agree with everything Francesca said, weather is unpredictable, but be prepared to find it on the cold side. If it's not, the better for you! But hey, that doesn't mean that you have to change your plans because of the cold weather, right? Just dress in layers, wear warm clothes, take an umbrella or a raincoat and you're good to go!

My DH (born and raised in sunny California for all his life) and I went to Italy last year in March, and I swear to God on March 21 (first day of Spring) and in ONE day we had: sun, drizzle, wind, rain, hail, thunderstorm and snow.... go figure. We still remember waking up that day to find everything covered in a few inches of snow! Yet, we enjoyed it a lot, so go for it, it's part of the experience.

Also, depending on where you go, you might find that a lot of hotels are closed during the winter season. In the Lake district (Lake Como, Garda and Maggiore), just to make an example, many hotels are closed (my cousins own a little hotel and they close from Oct to Apr, even the larger hotels are closed during the winter season). But if you go to the main art cities (Rome, Florence, Venice, Milan etc) you won't have any problem with hotels being closed, as they are open all year round.

If you plan to go to Venice expect to find the "acqua alta", the hight tide, at some times of the day, but the high tide actually affects only some areas of the city, especially those closer to the waterfront. (FYI high tide is generally between Oct and Apr in Venice). But Venetians are perfectly prepared for this and they usually put pontoons in St. Mark's Square and surrounding areas, so you can walk around. If you find yourself stuck in rainy Venice you can actually buy (if not rent, that I don't know) rubber boots, but they are extremely expensive, so if you don't want to buy them, just do the old fashion way: roll your pants, take off your shoes and socks, and walk in the water! I've seen people do it.

If you're thinking of taking a ferry from Italy to Greece, check the ferry schedules, because in winter time the schedule is less frequent. Consider that the sea might be on the rough side as well, so if you're prone to sea sickness be prepared to take some dramamine. I would actually advise to fly rather than take a ferry, it saves time.

What else? Wait for some other feedback, but if you give us more details about your trip, we might be able to help you a bit more.

Take care
L.

Francesca Battaglia
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
hey Lily Aug 31, 2008

I can smell some travel agent around here ;D

ahah

There's something I've always noticed in the weird Italian weather, sometimes the places where you thought it would be cold are warmer than main city centres. I guess it's still because of humidity levels.

Lago di Garda is about 1 hr from where I am living now but I've been only once, many many yrs ago, to visit the waterpark "Gardaland".
I wouldn't go to Venice, sorry...way too expensive! Just go see it but sleep somewhere else And don't buy bottles of water along the streets, I am still shocked for those 5 euros O_O 4 yrs ago!

But reading Jack post made me think: how's the weather in Japan in winter? Maybe you are more used to very cold winters than us poor bloodless italian ladies!

Where I live now (lots of Japanese tourists and students here, for the Stradivari violins) it's only 1hr and a half from Milan and it's crazy how much dry it is. A few weeks ago Milan was struck by storms and hurricanes, my parents told me that there were trees everywhere in the streets, while here...full sun and starry nights!

Dana Rinaldi
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
Lovely weather Aug 31, 2008

Well Francesca I owe something to the beautiful region that became my home 13 years ago so...........

I love the weather here in Le Marche in December. Usually it is not too cold but just enough to wear a nice trendy slimming coat and boots (well we had snow 2 years ago on the 18th).

It's a lovely region you ought to visit if you have enough time. Places like Urbino (Raffaello Sanzio's hometown) deserve more than just a quick glance. I would visit San Marino too! Food here is absolutely fantastic (wine too) and old towns on hilltops are so romantic.

Have a wonderful stay in Italy

Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 14:31
English to Greek
+ ...
Greece can be just as cold, Aug 31, 2008

although the weather has been known to surprise us, especially in the south. I would certainly NOT take warm sunny days for granted. There may be quite a few of those, but they cannot be mistaken for summer, especially as nights are cold anyway.

Also bear in mind that though big city hotels are well equipped for both summer and winter (A/C, central heating, warm bed covers and rugs on the floor), you will find that smaller, picturesque towns and accommodations are mainly geared for summer stays, and heating especially may not be adequate. So ask questions when booking!

Please feel free to contact me through Proz.com or e-mail if you need more information. (No I am not a travel agent, but years ago I worked as a tour guide and I've had my share of uncomfortable nights).

Lina

[Edited at 2008-08-31 20:50]

casey
United States
Local time: 07:31
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Aug 31, 2008

Thanks for all the comments, everybody! We haven't figured out exactly where we'd be going, but most of the tours are to Athens and southern Italy. Winters in Japan are very cold, but I prefer cold to heat...unless it's cold and rainy. Anyway, the comments have all been very helpful. Cheers!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How is the weather in Italy and Greece in December?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs