Off topic: Happy Anniversary, St Petersburg!
Thread poster: Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:18
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

May 31, 2003

Sorry folks for the off-topic, but I didn't dare post in the Russian thread, with my mangled Russian, whatever is left of it..
Anyhow, Happy 300th, St Petersburg, one of the most beautiful places on the Globe! 8^)

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
Happy 300! Jun 1, 2003

Greetings from La Plata, Argentina!
Happy 300, St Petersburg!
The little I have seen in TV shows a beautiful city. May your years be long and prosperous!

Enrique

C Greene
C Greene  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:18
English to French
Yes, Happy Anniversary Jun 1, 2003

Greetings from Normandy !

I really hope I shall have the chance one day of visiting what seems to be a truly magnificient city.

Chris

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
S:t Petersburg was founded on occupied territory!! Jun 1, 2003

Not that we gratulate less due to that.

For global historic edification I simply want to insert a bit of missing info amidst the applause for that very beautiful city.

In 1700 Charles XII of Sweden beat the Russians in the battle of Narva, known to all battle theorists as a brilliant example of tactical creativity. He was far too adventure-loving and wanted to achieve to much, engaging in warfare in the Ukraine and Poland, thereby dissipating strength. He therefore coul
... See more
Not that we gratulate less due to that.

For global historic edification I simply want to insert a bit of missing info amidst the applause for that very beautiful city.

In 1700 Charles XII of Sweden beat the Russians in the battle of Narva, known to all battle theorists as a brilliant example of tactical creativity. He was far too adventure-loving and wanted to achieve to much, engaging in warfare in the Ukraine and Poland, thereby dissipating strength. He therefore could not stop Peter The Great from seizing the fortress of Nyen in 1703 and start building S:t Petersburg downstream on SWEDISH TERRITORY, an unparallelled effrontery even then.
For 18 years this 'breach of international law' continued up to the peace treaty of Nystad in 1721 when Sweden lost Ingermanland (home of S:t Petersburg), Estonia and Latvia to Russia.
This marked the end of Sweden as a great power in Northern Europe. After the loss of Finland in 1808 Sweden gave up all ambitions to use military force to achieve greatness, concentrating instead on industrial and economic feats.

BR

Mats
Collapse

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
occupied territory Jun 2, 2003

75% of the world's surface is "occupied territory" (my rough estimate, but most probably an understatement).
Just a few examples of cities established or renamed on occupied territory: Alexandria, Barcelona, Budapest, Ciudad Mexico, Istanbul, Nieuw Amsterdam / New York, Batavia (Jakarta), Cape Town, etc.

(Sorry Mats, I could not live without this somewhat cynical comment)

BTW, how was the weekend event covered in Swedish media? And did you know that Karl Gustav X
... See more
75% of the world's surface is "occupied territory" (my rough estimate, but most probably an understatement).
Just a few examples of cities established or renamed on occupied territory: Alexandria, Barcelona, Budapest, Ciudad Mexico, Istanbul, Nieuw Amsterdam / New York, Batavia (Jakarta), Cape Town, etc.

(Sorry Mats, I could not live without this somewhat cynical comment)

BTW, how was the weekend event covered in Swedish media? And did you know that Karl Gustav XII has a memorial plaque downtown Budapest - in both Hungarian and Swedish? (He was passing by on his way home from Turkey to Sweden (as he was forced into exile in Turkey for a couple of years after the battle of Poltava in 1709).)

Anyway, I visited StPete when the place was 281 years old - a bit grey on the surface at that time, but the ember of past glory was glowing from beneath.

Csaba
(living in a city whose land was occupied by fearsome Magyars from Slavs, Avars, Moravians, Sarmatas, Huns, Gepidas, Celts, Romans, etc. and subsequently occupied, sacked, held, etc. for various lengths of times by Mongols, Turks, Austrians, Romanians, Germans and Russians)

[Edited at 2003-06-02 06:02]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Happy Anniversary, St Petersburg!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »