Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: Are you obsessed with..stationery?
Thread poster: Francesca Battaglia

Francesca Battaglia
Italy
Local time: 04:59
Member (2007)
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 13, 2008

Ah, I was going through the posts of the "IT" obsessions and I realized that we are all children of the words and, for this reason, our parents probably found us under some stationery piece instead that of the most usual cabbage..

As for me, I can spend hours in a stationery shop or in the stationery aisle of the supermarket. I am a book sniffer, better than a hunting dog! I love the smell of new books and of new paper blocks or block notes...agendas....
Not to mention those plastic folders! Coloured and shiny..

I also have a lot of pen pals from around the world and I like to buy special gadgets to stick on the envelopes or in the sheets. My secret dream is to spend a whole night in a Japanese mall, free to drool over those crazy, cartoonish, weird, colourful, WEIRD (#2), stationery items.

This might sound childish but I think it's just my addiction to writing and to paper..

What about you?

Direct link Reply with quote

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:59
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
It's what's written on it that interests me Sep 13, 2008

I can't say I'm at all interested in what it's written on, although I share your love of the smell of old books.

My problem is getting my head out of things with writing on. My favourite reading matter is fiction, preferably thrillers (but not horror) and SF, but if there isn't any around I'll read phone directories, cooking instructions and ingredients of jars, and, of course, dictionaries.

It drives my husband mad when I bring the post in and insist on reading the envelope before opening it!

[Edited at 2008-09-13 19:34]

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Me too Sep 13, 2008

I love new stationery too - and books, of course. Maybe it's a girl thing? I've been over to the RHS gardens at Wisley today, where they have a wonderful shop and my mother and I spent ages drooling over the gorgeous notebooks, whilst my poor father looked on bemused..... I had to buy one, of course - a beautiful spiral-bound hardback notebook with pink and purple clematis on the cover! As children, my sister and I would sit for ages with pens and paper, whereas my sons were much more into active games.

Amy Duncan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:59
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Love stationery stores Sep 14, 2008

Yes, I love to walk up and down the aisles and look at all the different kinds of notebooks, envelopes, paper, and especially pens, which I have to stop and try out. No end of fascinating things in a stationery store! My second favorite is the hardware store.

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:59
English to German
+ ...
Oooh, are you talking about hand-made paper? Sep 14, 2008

Beveled and textured?

Yum. No further comment.

Amy, you shouldn't have mentioned hardware stores. Must... go... shopping... now!

bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
I am amazed by paper Sep 14, 2008

Probably the most important invention of humanity. Chinese invented it, Europeans industrialized it and made it accessible to everybody.
When doing genealogy searches, I have had in my hands papers over 400-year old, telling stories about my ancestors... Fascinating. Paper resists nearly everything... except fire. Now, we digitalize almost everything and store that on optical, magnetic or tape drives. What will be left in another 400 years?
Well... just paper, I guess.

Amy Duncan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:59
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Imagine that! Sep 14, 2008

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Amy, you shouldn't have mentioned hardware stores. Must... go... shopping... now!

And here I thought I was the only hardware freak.

Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 05:59
Partial member
English to Greek
+ ...
Oh, yes! Sep 14, 2008

I usually shop from a large stationery store and, of course I always end up with things I do not need! Need? Wrong expression. I no longer need to buy anything from a stationery shop! Actually, if I continue to shop pens and pencils and notebooks (but I only really use one pen, one pencil and post-it notes...), then I will have to open a stationery shop myself... just to empty the place and start buying new things!

ICL  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Off topic (hardware stores): @ Amy Sep 14, 2008

Amy Duncan wrote:

Amy, you are definitely not the only (female) hardware freak around here!

But I'll tell you how I got addicted to hardware stores: I've always loved to draw and paint (acrylic), so this made me interested in decoration, which in turn made me interested in everything related to it: including wall painting, electricity, plumbing, gardening things, DIY furniture, etc.

Viva the hardware stores!

Francesca Battaglia
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ikea queen here Sep 14, 2008

ICL wrote:

Amy Duncan wrote:

Amy, you are definitely not the only (female) hardware freak around here!

But I'll tell you how I got addicted to hardware stores: I've always loved to draw and paint (acrylic), so this made me interested in decoration, which in turn made me interested in everything related to it: including wall painting, electricity, plumbing, gardening things, DIY furniture, etc.

Viva the hardware stores!

What I always say is: "In a past life, I surely was a builder..give me something to assemble or to decor and I'll be the happiest girl!"
there's only one thing that actually blocks me, I a am afraid of electric screw drivers and studd like that, I really won't feel safe handling them.

Too bad I don't have enough time to do all the works I want (in the house) but occasionally i love to visit the Ikea store and, hey, that's paradise!

Wendy Cummings  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
new term calling Sep 14, 2008

I find this time of year particularly hard...

When I was at school, and even into University years, for every new year I would get a new pencil case (the old one had usually been graffitied to death and covered in stickers etc), and new pens and pencils.

Now, whenever the smell of autumn is in the air, it reminds me of those "back to school" days - and the brand new stationery.

My obsession extends to all office-related accessories - staplers, rubbers, highlighters, pen holders, organisers, paperclips... If I have to go into WH Smiths i need to put the blinkers on and head straight for the item I need and straight to the till and out, otherwise it becomes very dangerous! Don't even let me near Paperchase...

xxxjacana54  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
my obsession is with the smell of ink Sep 14, 2008

I have exactly the same feelings as Elena and Wendy, but to make it worse I have a very specific addiction to the smell of ink (as in newly printed materials).

My father and his family used to have a printing firm and when we were children, on Sundays, we would go with him on his tour of the silent factory. He would take advantage of the fact that there was nobody around to take a careful look at all the machines (offset was fairly new then) and poke around in general. With my sisters we played hide-and-seek among the huge spools of paper, the mountains of printed cardboard for packaging and the dinosaurs that produced books, labels and flyers. He would come home at least once a week with cut-outs or pages from books and magazines, and I would store them for years. Not to mention the memory of those newly bound books which arrived from Gallimard for my mother: if we promised to be extra careful we were sometimes allowed to separate the pages using a special knife.

Yes, my hangup is definitely with the smell of fresh ink!

Lucía

[Edited at 2008-09-14 15:49]

biankonera  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 05:59
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
Most definitely Sep 14, 2008

I adore bookstores and stationery stores - I can spend there hours and that has been so since elementary school. In fact I almost never took anything from official office supplies bought for everyone by my previous employer because I need to choose all those things like notbooks, pens, pencils etc myself. I can buy a new notebook just because I like the feel and look of paper and it doesnt matter if I need it or not.:D

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
pens... but not just any pen! Sep 14, 2008

I adore fountain pens. My handwriting is *so* much nicer with a fountain pen than with a ballpoint.

Yet I still have about two boxes of pens picked up from various trade fairs over the years and I couldn't bear to throw them out!

Danuta Michelsen  Identity Verified
German to Polish
+ ...
oh! I used to be! Sep 14, 2008

Thanks to this posting I realized that I used to be obsesed with stationery (stationery meaning envelopes and paper letters are written on). I had collected stationery for many years. There are still many ring binders filled with my stationery in my parents' house.

Thanks to proz.com I've made another discovery: the International Transtators' day is exactly on my birthday, isn't this fate?

Danusia

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are you obsessed with..stationery?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs