https://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/115877-show_me_your_desktop_and_ill_show_you_mine.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >
Off topic: Show me your desktop and I'll show you mine
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 17:58
Spanish
+ ...
Sep 19, 2008

My day is almost over so I was about to close all my working windows, so before doing that, I thought it would be fun to post a screen-shot of my desktop. I have 7 windows running on the foreground, plus a few applications that I just closed, several more applications running on the background and 3 physical dictionaries next to me. But last week, I was working on a PageMaker/technical project so I had like 3 Firefox windows running, plus a whole bunch of Adobe windows, several folders, files, d... See more
My day is almost over so I was about to close all my working windows, so before doing that, I thought it would be fun to post a screen-shot of my desktop. I have 7 windows running on the foreground, plus a few applications that I just closed, several more applications running on the background and 3 physical dictionaries next to me. But last week, I was working on a PageMaker/technical project so I had like 3 Firefox windows running, plus a whole bunch of Adobe windows, several folders, files, dictionaries, glossaries, XBench, Trados, Excel, Windows, and probably many more applications, all of them cluttering my desktop.

I didn't want a complex wallpaper that would clutter my work-space even more, so I went for the minimalistic, almost childish wallpaper. I also use ObjectDock, which lets me have just the icons at the bottom of the screeen and no taskbar, which I find neater.

Anyway, here's my desktop:

Now show me yours.
Collapse

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:58
English to Turkish
+ ...
Toooo untidy now Sep 19, 2008

Before I can accept guests, I have to spend hours cleaning it. Therefore, I'd rather not publish a screenshot here. But once all the files and shortcuts are cleared, this is what you'd see on my desktop:

Helps me keep going as a freelancer -even celebrate being one- without missing office life...
See more
Before I can accept guests, I have to spend hours cleaning it. Therefore, I'd rather not publish a screenshot here. But once all the files and shortcuts are cleared, this is what you'd see on my desktop:

Helps me keep going as a freelancer -even celebrate being one- without missing office life
Collapse

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:58
Portuguese to English
+ ...
How can I put a photo here? Sep 20, 2008

I think I'm the only member of ProZ who doesn't know how to put a photo in a forum post. I looked everywhere on the site, but the only thing I can find are instructions about how to post a photo from the internet. I want to put up photos from my hard disk. Can anyone help?

Amy

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 01:58
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Here Sep 20, 2008

This thread shows clearly, how people feel about their working surrounding. I did not even bother to change the default background since I bought my laptop in 2006. I really never see it, because I keep all apllication on top of each other.
Cheers
Heinrich

[Bearbeitet am 2008-09-20 17:52]

Dan Dascalescu
Dan Dascalescu  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:58
Romanian to English
+ ...
How to insert images Sep 20, 2008

Amy Duncan wrote:

I think I'm the only member of ProZ who doesn't know how to put a photo in a forum post. I looked everywhere on the site, but the only thing I can find are instructions about how to post a photo from the internet. I want to put up photos from my hard disk. Can anyone help?

Amy

Amy, you can upload a photo from your hard disk instantly to http://fotki.com, then include it in the post by following the instructions at http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/faq#bbcode, see "Adding Images".

[Edited at 2008-09-20 02:16]

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:58
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Regards from Central México Sep 20, 2008

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
Don Goyo Sep 20, 2008

My desktop background comes from an image recorded by the VolcanoCam maintained by the Cenapred, the Mexican National Disaster Prevention Center.

This image of a lenticular cloud on the Volcano Popocatepetl was captured in December 2004. To my taste, it
... See more
My desktop background comes from an image recorded by the VolcanoCam maintained by the Cenapred, the Mexican National Disaster Prevention Center.

This image of a lenticular cloud on the Volcano Popocatepetl was captured in December 2004. To my taste, it's so perfect and beautiful that I've never had the desire to change it since.

Bonus: More clouds
Collapse

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:58
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Thanks, Dan! Sep 20, 2008

Dan Dascalescu wrote:

Amy, you can upload a photo from your hard disk instantly to http://fotki.com, then include it in the post by following the instructions at http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/faq#bbcode, see "Adding Images".

[Edited at 2008-09-20 02:16]

Is that the way everybody does it here? Also, how do they get their desktop to appear here? Sorry I'm so clueless about this, but I REALLY want to know!!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Mine Sep 20, 2008

Claudia Alvis wrote:
I didn't want a complex wallpaper that would clutter my work-space even more, so I went for the minimalistic, almost childish wallpaper.

I have a taskbar of three rows deep. My quickstart tray is to the left (default in Windows is to the right). I have a SmartStartMenu (that green thing on the taskbar) that I've been meaning to uninstall, because I almost don't use my Start Menu at all.

I've put a folder pane on the left with my most used program shortcuts, and a folder pane to the right with shortcuts to the folders with each month's work in it. When I maximise a window, the taskbar remains in place but the folder panes are hidden behind the window.

I periodically clean my desktop so that only about 10 icons remain, but I use my desktop as Microsoft had intended the My Documents folder to be used.

Oh, and it's Windows XP SP2, at 1280x1024.

[Edited at 2008-09-20 06:11]

Ma. Unica Real Encinares
Ma. Unica Real Encinares
Philippines
Local time: 06:58
Member (2007)
English to Tagalog
+ ...
Here's mine Sep 20, 2008

Can't sleep with a cluttered desktop

[Edited at 2008-09-20 06:19]

Ma. Unica Real Encinares
Ma. Unica Real Encinares
Philippines
Local time: 06:58
Member (2007)
English to Tagalog
+ ...
Yes Sep 20, 2008

Amy Duncan wrote:

Is that the way everybody does it here? Also, how do they get their desktop to appear here? Sorry I'm so clueless about this, but I REALLY want to know!!

Hi Amy, yes that's the way.

You have to upload a photo of your desktop on a site like Dan has mentioned, (I use www.photobucket.com) then copy the Direct Link address of that photo then paste it to your forum message between BBC codes [ay em gee] and [/ay em gee].

* ay em gee = img without spaces

HTH.

Unica

[Edited at 2008-09-20 06:27]

[Edited at 2008-09-20 06:29]

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
How to capture your desktop snapshot Sep 20, 2008

First of all, great idea for a thread!

@ Amy: if you are still struggling here's how I'd do it:

My OS is Vista, so unless you're using the same, you might have to download one of those freebies. Just try googling 'screeen capture tools' or something of that nature.

But if you have Vista, then you're in luck: go to START ---> ALL PROGRAMS ---> ACCESSORIES ---> SNIPPING TOOL.

Then just drag the cursor around the whole screen and save it to your
... See more
First of all, great idea for a thread!

@ Amy: if you are still struggling here's how I'd do it:

My OS is Vista, so unless you're using the same, you might have to download one of those freebies. Just try googling 'screeen capture tools' or something of that nature.

But if you have Vista, then you're in luck: go to START ---> ALL PROGRAMS ---> ACCESSORIES ---> SNIPPING TOOL.

Then just drag the cursor around the whole screen and save it to your pictures folder (or wherever you want). From there you upload it to a website (e.g. picasa, but there are lots of these sites too, although it might mean registering first...) and then make a note of the URL (i.e. copy and paste), insert it into your reply box and don't forget to put in the code at the start and end, just like the other codes for quoting, bold, italics, etc.

@ Samuel: that's a seriously cluttered desktop!

@ GoodWords: I also have that pic, I think I got it from National Geographic, which is a great place for photos of all types.

So here goes, but I should point out that I change pictures from time to time:

[IMG]http://picasaweb.google.com/traduzco1/MyWebPixtures?authkey=VqeQpdvQ7uM#5247886298813841634[/IMG]

...and, it's not showing! Right click to view image....

[Edited at 2008-09-20 10:20]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
When it all becomes too much Sep 20, 2008

John Paul Weir wrote:
@ Samuel: that's a seriously cluttered desktop!

When it becomes too much, I remove the background image. After that, the next step is to delete stuff that were just temporary. After that, I move some stuff to My Documents. After that... well, that will only happen when I retire.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
here's mine Sep 20, 2008

[Edited at 2008-09-20 12:25]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
john paul's... Sep 20, 2008

since he could not be bothered to re-upload it...

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Show me your desktop and I'll show you mine

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »