https://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/116585-the_ideal_system_for_getting_work.html

Off topic: The ideal system for getting work
Thread poster: Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:30
Swedish to English
+ ...
Sep 27, 2008

Sorry if the subject line is a bit misleading, but that's what I'm working on.

Not being content with just working, I've signed up for a course in web design (already did a short one many years ago, but this one is more in depth).

Right now I'm studying "System design with a user focus" and, together with a group of fellow students, I'm trying to develop a system that can connect freelancers and outsourcers. One
... See more
Sorry if the subject line is a bit misleading, but that's what I'm working on.

Not being content with just working, I've signed up for a course in web design (already did a short one many years ago, but this one is more in depth).

Right now I'm studying "System design with a user focus" and, together with a group of fellow students, I'm trying to develop a system that can connect freelancers and outsourcers. One of the objectives of the system is that it should recognise that freelancers are vendors, i.e. outsourcers propose projects and freelancers (vendors) quote.

As the "user focus" bit implies, we need user input. We're currently putting together a short interactive form asking about freelancers current experience. We should have this form ready by late Sunday/early Monday and would need it completed soonest.

In a few weeks time, we'll hopefully have produced a prototype which we'll need assessed (another interactive form to complete). This is not actually going to be a working prototype - just PowerPoint slides or similar.

To complete these surveys I'm looking for a few freelancers with various experience - some from the stoneage (i.e. pre-internet), some with more recent experience and a few newbies.

If you think you can help, please email through my profile.

Thanks,
Madeleine

Note to moderators vetting this topic: this is purely an academic exercise, I have no intention of actually producing the system or, in any way, competing with proz.

[Edited at 2008-09-27 20:31]
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 07:30
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
put it on doodle or similar and let us know Sep 27, 2008

and I raise my hand anyhow;)

Celine Gras
Celine Gras  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:30
English to French
+ ...
I'll be happy to help Sep 28, 2008

Hi Madeleine,

It's a great think that you are taking this course. I'm always happy to learn new stuff and I'm happy too when someone else does.

You can count on me, if I can help I'd like to.

CĂ©line

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:30
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update on the project Oct 1, 2008

Thank you to everyone who's completed the survey.

The initial conclusion I can arrive at from these answers is that translators with more experience are more likely to answer surveys...

I'm still looking for more respondents, the more the merrier - regardless of experience. But what I'm particularly looking for is new translators, or those with less experience than 1 year.

We also need agencies to take part - this is supposed to be a system which takes into
... See more
Thank you to everyone who's completed the survey.

The initial conclusion I can arrive at from these answers is that translators with more experience are more likely to answer surveys...

I'm still looking for more respondents, the more the merrier - regardless of experience. But what I'm particularly looking for is new translators, or those with less experience than 1 year.

We also need agencies to take part - this is supposed to be a system which takes into account the needs of all parties. For this reason, I've created a separate survey for agencies/companies. And if anybody knows of an end client who might be interested in helping out, I would very much appreciate if you direct them to this thread. Any company. from sole trader to multi-national, is welcome.

To avoid loads of agencies pretending to be freelancers, and vice versa (OK I'm a very suspicious person), I will send you the link to the page where I've uploaded the surveys on receipt of your message/email.

Please visit my profile and send me a short message if you feel that you're able to help with this project.

Thanks,
Madeleine
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The ideal system for getting work

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »