Off topic: September 2009 in New York
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:42
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Sep 28, 2008

My wife and I are going to spend a few weeks in NE-USA next September. First we plan to live a week or so in New York City and later rent a car and look at the country side, going perhaps as far as Montreal/Toronto and Niagara Falls.
Can you recommend a small and clean apartment in NYC? I looked at internet sites, but the problem is we do not know anything about the surroundings and it is difficult to decide by only viewing fotos.
Its also rather difficult to find a car renting company that has offices in the whole region so we could drop the car somewhere else than at the starting point.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote
Amy Duncan  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:42
Portuguese to English
+ ...
A couple of ideas Sep 28, 2008

Hi Heinrich,
Manhattan is quite pricey, as you probably know, but you might want to check if you haven't already. Since you're not going until next September, you have plenty of time. As for not seeing a place, the place I'm living in now, in Boston, I found on craigslist and rented sight unseen. It has worked out fine. If you find photos of a place that looks good to you, get in touch with the landlord and get more details. After talking with the person who is renting or subletting, you'll usually have a good idea if it's something you want or not.

You might consider one of the boroughs, such as Queens, Brooklyn, or the Bronx, but even these areas are now getting to be quite expensive.

Best of luck to you and your wife.

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 15:42
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Craigslist, VRBO and Google Maps Sep 29, 2008

Hi Heinrich,

I was in Manhattan two weeks ago and I found an apartment online. Private apartments are much cheaper than hotel rooms. Try craigslist or

You can check the surroundings on Find the address and click Street View.

Please feel free to contact me via my profile if you have any questions.

Tomás Cano Binder, CT  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:42
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Manhattan is huge! Sep 29, 2008

In my first visit to NY last August, I was so naïve that I thought I could walk all over Manhattan, as I would do in downtown Madrid or other European cities. Well, I did try to walk from the South Ferry terminal (I sincerely recommend taking the free ferry to Staten Island and back; well, I love boats and don't have many opportunities to use boats in central Spain) to Central Park. Impossible. I was tired already when I had only done 10% of the way.

So I strongly recommend to take taxis, which are not as expensive as in Europe. Or the subway of course, although you should be prepared to see something quite different from European subways... I am not saying better or worse; just different!

[Edited at 2008-09-29 15:13]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

September 2009 in New York

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs