Thread poster: Elena Robles Sanjuan
Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:12
English to Turkish
+ ...
Can we go back to the topic please? Oct 1, 2008

This topic has been started for discussing a book titled The Secret, not as a discussion on medical practices, recipes, alternative methods, etc., and even though they might inevitably pop up in this discussion, they are not the focus here.

Jean-Pierre, I am not sure which website you are referring to here:
In my view, this type of posting ought to be banned from the website, because following these recipes could have terrible consequences and may vary a lot from one person to another.

If you mean this website and this forum, this is not a medical website and we are not offering medical advice here. The posting you refer to is within our forum rules. However, I'd like to ask once again that we stay on topic, please, according to our forum rules. Those who wish to discuss alternative, mainstream, mumbo-jumbo, scientific, homeopathy and any other denomination I forgot to count -with my apologies:D- may start a new topic.

Thanks everyone!

[Edited at 2008-10-01 09:59]

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Alternative medicines Oct 1, 2008

Giuseppina Gatta wrote:

I prefer to give my money to something which might not work (and it is not actually true, I have been taking homeopathic and ayurvedic medications for months and they do work), but at least surely does not hurt me, than chemical, artificial products which are there only to produce income for pharmaceutical companies, cost a lot, and have a lot of side effects and interactions.

Do you not think that the manufacturers of homeopathic products (I refuse to call them medicines) and ayurvedic remedies are also just after your money? Of course pharmaceutical companies want to make money - so do we all. Including those producing and flogging alternative medicines! Or are they giving them away?

[Edited at 2008-10-01 09:13]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Some secret Oct 1, 2008

I did read this book up to about halfway through, but I found it constantly repetitive with the Power and the Glory and the ubiquitous references to her sinister cronies Dr Such and such and Professor What's his face, well-known (?) self-helpers presumably coining it in along with Ms. Byrne. It must be an enlightening experience dropping in on that crowd. Can't say I blame them, if people lap it up.

Considering that the general gist is as follows ...

++++++++++++++++... See more
I did read this book up to about halfway through, but I found it constantly repetitive with the Power and the Glory and the ubiquitous references to her sinister cronies Dr Such and such and Professor What's his face, well-known (?) self-helpers presumably coining it in along with Ms. Byrne. It must be an enlightening experience dropping in on that crowd. Can't say I blame them, if people lap it up.

++++++++++++++++
The earth turns on its orbit for You. The oceans ebb and flow for You. The birds sing for You. The sun rises and it sets for You. The stars come out for You. Every beautiful thing you see, every wondrous thing you experience, is all there for You. Take a look around. None of it can exist, without You. [wot, no tides, no sunrises, no sunsets, no birds singing if I'm not around?] No matter who you thought you were, now you know the Truth of Who You Really Are. You are the master of the Universe. You are the heir to the kingdom. You are the perfection of Life. And now you know The Secret.
++++++++++++++++

... in another age I could have had these wondrous thoughts myself with some cheaper mind-expanding substances.

Apparently it outsells Harry Potter. Rhonda just can't keep a secret.
Collapse

Elena Robles Sanjuan
Elena Robles Sanjuan  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
I can´t believe it... Oct 1, 2008

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

I´m not a Harry Potter fan, but at least J.K. Rowling has something to offer.
As well as the egocentric idea that you described, I also deduced the following, which to me, is a contradiction:

Nothing exists without ME, nothing happens without ME, yet I carry the burden of all the misfortunes that happen to me on my shoulders. I can be the center of the Universe, fine, but that doesn´t absolve me from being responsible for absolutely everything wrong that happens to me.
On the other hand, I have managed to become the center of the Universe just by thinking. I no longer need to be stronger, more clever, more skilled and better qualified that the next person when I´m looking for a job. But, wait a minute, if I am the center of the Universe, how come I´m not the only one?. Whatever happened to competition then?. I don´t want my neighbour to have the same job, the same car, the same house...

This is the way we are, whether we like it or not. And believing that it can be otherwise is pure fantasy.

Jean-Pierre Bergez Saretzki (X)
Jean-Pierre Bergez Saretzki (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:12
English to Spanish
Documentary called The Secret Oct 1, 2008

I have a documentary called The Secret. I am not too sure that it deals with the same subject as the book or if it is from the same author. However, the gist is that thought can change things in the physical world.

The pseudo-science is based on something called the Law of Attraction. As planets pull one another like magnets, so do thoughts. Why? It is simple, each thought has frequency and if you repeat a thought times enough it will end up changing the physical world because sendi
... See more
I have a documentary called The Secret. I am not too sure that it deals with the same subject as the book or if it is from the same author. However, the gist is that thought can change things in the physical world.

The pseudo-science is based on something called the Law of Attraction. As planets pull one another like magnets, so do thoughts. Why? It is simple, each thought has frequency and if you repeat a thought times enough it will end up changing the physical world because sending into the Universe the same frequency over and over has an influence, and sooner or later things will change.

And that’s it!

Well, except that such amount of rubbish requires the old and trusted technique of:

1. Making it look like science
2. Ramming the concept by sheer repetition and drilling
3. Changing the angle slightly so that it looks as if you were introducing new concepts
4. Giving examples that are attractive and shocking
5. Having some unknown philosophers and scientists endorsing the idea
6. Instilling fear. If you do not believe me, you are dammed.
7. Etc.

Perhaps we should consider giving up translating altogether and joining the ranks of mumbo-jumbo to make a killing.
Collapse

Elena Robles Sanjuan
Elena Robles Sanjuan  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Same thing Oct 1, 2008

Jean-Pierre Bergez Saretzki wrote:

Apparently, the author -who´s a film producer- started off with the documentary and then decided to expand the business by putting it all in writing.

Jean-Pierre Bergez Saretzki wrote:

5. Having some unknown philosophers and scientists endorsing the idea

I wonder how she got away with saying that people like Shakespeare or Newton knew the secret. As they are dead, it´s not possible for them to claim libel, but then, can anyone just use dead people´s names to support their theories?. Is there no control over this practice?

Andrea Jarmuschewski
Andrea Jarmuschewski  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
French to German
+ ...
The Secret is simplistic and overly commercial... Oct 1, 2008

Nothing new either.

I have to say though that I can see in my experience and in that of friends and family how attitude (being optimistic rather than pessimistic, making the best of things, seeing and appreciating the silver lining when bad things happen etc.) can influence life.

That was called "positive thinking" before which can't do any harm in my book! But I can see where The Secret's overly simplistic approach might be dangerous for people suffering from depress
... See more
Nothing new either.

I have to say though that I can see in my experience and in that of friends and family how attitude (being optimistic rather than pessimistic, making the best of things, seeing and appreciating the silver lining when bad things happen etc.) can influence life.

That was called "positive thinking" before which can't do any harm in my book! But I can see where The Secret's overly simplistic approach might be dangerous for people suffering from depression, for instance.
Collapse

Roy Williams
Roy Williams  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
Tree in the woods Oct 2, 2008

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

++++++++++++++++
The earth turns on its orbit for You. The oceans ebb and flow for You. The birds sing for You. The sun rises and it sets for You. The stars come out for You. Every beautiful thing you see, every wondrous thing you experience, is all there for You. Take a look around. None of it can exist, without You. [wot, no tides, no sunrises, no sunsets, no birds singing if I'm not around?] No matter who you thought you were, now you know the Truth of Who You Really Are. You are the master of the Universe. You are the heir to the kingdom. You are the perfection of Life. And now you know The Secret.
++++++++++++++++

... in another age I could have had these wondrous thoughts myself with some cheaper mind-expanding substances.

And if a tree fell in the woods and I wasn't there to hear it, it wouldn't make a sound.

I suppose next they'll be introducing some multilevel marketing scheme involving the sercret

[Edited at 2008-10-02 08:52]

[Edited at 2008-10-02 10:54]

Yolanda Bello Olvera
Yolanda Bello Olvera  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
The Secret Revealed Oct 20, 2008

This book might give you the answer you are looking for.
I read it after reading The Secret and buying the DVD.

The Secret Revealed
(Exposing the truth about the law of attraction)
by James L. Garlow and Rick Maschall
Faith words, 2007
Hachette Book Group USA

After reading this book you may be ready to throw to the nearest bin anything "The Secret"-related.

Regards,

Y

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The Secret

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »