Off topic: What it says on the tin ?
Thread poster: Nesrin

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:53
English to Arabic
+ ...
Oct 4, 2008

We'd all like to believe it, but does the food inside packages really look as fresh and healthy as it does on the picture?

A website which shows the stark contrast between pictures on food packages and the real thing: (link found in Reader's Digest)

Direct link Reply with quote

zkt  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:53
English to Arabic
+ ...
To my knowledge Oct 4, 2008

Hello Nesrin,

Thank you for the link!
Indeed, now it would be also legitimate to question the nutrients content, the one we cannot see nor feel.

Should we believe that the food inside the package has all the nutrients as it is stated on the nutrition fact label ??!!!

I have translated two cooking books, through direct clients (i.e. the chefs themselves) and when I asked why the food look so appealing in the photos and not as much when we cook it at home, they both responded that food was half cooked to preserve its colors.
So nice photos are not only the result of photoshop intervention but also of semi cooked food!!

Niraja Nanjundan  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:23
German to English
TV ads Oct 5, 2008

It's the same with ads on TV promoting food, especially preserved ones (packet soups, noodles etc.). They look so good on the ad, but when you actually try them out, it's pretty tasteless stuff!

Tomás Cano Binder, CT  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:53
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The art of deception Oct 5, 2008

Advertising is quite simply the art of deception.

Would you be willing to pay 30.000 euros for a luxury German car if it did not promise you endless happy driving moments in empty roads in beautiful scenery and in the company of a beautiful partner and kids?

You would probably not buy the car of they showed you reality: being stuck every morning downtown, paying incredible taxes in the car and petrol, being unable to park your car anywhere. For that kind of "pleasure" you would probably buy a fourth-hand VW Käfer.

Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Bon appetit Oct 5, 2008

Brilliant link, Nesrin!

It has always been argued that more advertising raises consumption which in turn stimulates output and consequently economic growth. Indeed it has been proven. People are gullible.

I worked in marketing/advertising for many years (but cannot remember when I purchased something just on the strength of seeing an ad).

Heard about something? Read about something (maybe on Proz)? Realised I needed it? Sure...

Seen something tasty on a market stall? Absolutely!

My wife gets fed up when I rant on about bad advertising which seeks to entertain and succeeds fully in not implanting in your brain the product that they are trying to sell.

They might just as well donate the money to charity.

Enjoy your Sunday dinner, all

Mervyn Henderson  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks Nesrin Oct 6, 2008

I enjoy an artery-toughening fry-up now and again, especially when I go to Ireland where it's such an institution, but I must admit the concept of sausage egg & cheese croissant in the comparison videos is a new one on me.

What I can't understand about advertising is how certain ideas get past the presentation stage. How can someone walk into a room and say: "I know - we can have various shots of people standing up triumphantly on their desks at work, or climbing up to the roof of their car, or standing at the top of a mountain with arms at full stretch above their heads holding aloft a small hedgehog (yes, a hedgehog) and bawling a word which seems to be Hoaheyyy!" This is a Spanish one for insurance. I think it is anyway. What kind of person is it that says "Brilliant - let's hedgehog."?

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:53
English to French
+ ...
McDonalds Oct 7, 2008

I once politely commented to a McDonalds cashier that they may want to change the overhead pictures of their sandwiches because they looked truly disgusting. She looked at me, puzzled. "What do you mean?", she asked. I replied to tell her that the colour of the lettuce looked like it was made of plastic, and to my knowledge, there are very few people who like the taste of petroleum.

I know, she may not have been the right person to talk to. But I am afraid the right person to talk to wouldn't have listened at all...

P.S.: I think this one is my favorite: The Milka brand seems truly honest, though.

[Edited at 2008-10-07 08:48]

moken  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Falling Down Oct 11, 2008

Anyone remember that Joel Schumacher film starring Michael Douglas?

This thread imediately brough it back to me and then I saw Viktoria's comment above.

If you don't want to watch the whole scene, skip to the 4th minute:

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What it says on the tin ?

Advanced search

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs