Francesco Volpe
Francesco Volpe  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:02
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 10, 2003

Hi all,

I'm asking help to tennis-lovers colleagues.

I'm planning a short trip to London in occasion of the Wimbledon Tennis Championships and I would like to know from colleages living or working in the London area if there is a different way other than queuing to get tickets (first week).

I've checked the Wimbledon web site and this seems the only and least expensive way.

If queuing is the only solution, does anybody know how much time in a
... See more
Hi all,

I'm asking help to tennis-lovers colleagues.

I'm planning a short trip to London in occasion of the Wimbledon Tennis Championships and I would like to know from colleages living or working in the London area if there is a different way other than queuing to get tickets (first week).

I've checked the Wimbledon web site and this seems the only and least expensive way.

If queuing is the only solution, does anybody know how much time in advance should one be there?

Any suggestions and tips are very welcome.

Thank you

[Edited at 2003-06-10 14:12]
Collapse

Dave Greatrix
Dave Greatrix  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:02
Dutch to English
+ ...
Bring a tent Jun 10, 2003

[quote]Francesco Volpe wrote:

Hi all,

"I'm planning a short trip to London in would like to know from colleages living or working in the London area if there is a different way other than queuing to get tickets (first week)."

There are plenty of games on the outside courts, where cheapish tickets should not be a problem at the gate. However for Centre Court and Number One Court, you will have to join the queue at least 24 hours before the match is due to commence, especially if Rusedski, Henman, Agassi, Hewitt, etc. are due to play.

Most of the "big" games can be seen on a massive screen outside the stadium on "Henman Hill"

Tickets can always be bought on the streets for almost any match from guys called "ticket touts", but you'll need plenty of money.

Hope this helps.

Paul Lambert
Paul Lambert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:02
French to English
+ ...
Queue queue queue!!! Jun 10, 2003

Have been down a few times and was lucky enough to get tickets for Centre Court - but only because of family connections! You have a chance of getting a ticket for the big courts if you queue, but tickets for the outside courts are generally more easily available. If it's the Wimbledon atmosphere you're after though, Henman Hill is as good a place as any! Have fun!

Sonia Hill
Sonia Hill
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:02
Italian to English
Queue Jun 11, 2003

I went a couple of years ago and queued up in the rain from 4 a.m. We managed to get tickets for number 1 court fairly cheaply (only just missing the cut-off point for centre court). If it is not raining you will need to queue up from the evening before, especially if Henman is playing. In fact, when we left there was already a very long queue for the next day.
The only other way to get tickets is to apply a very long time in advance and your name will be put into a draw.
It is defin
... See more
I went a couple of years ago and queued up in the rain from 4 a.m. We managed to get tickets for number 1 court fairly cheaply (only just missing the cut-off point for centre court). If it is not raining you will need to queue up from the evening before, especially if Henman is playing. In fact, when we left there was already a very long queue for the next day.
The only other way to get tickets is to apply a very long time in advance and your name will be put into a draw.
It is definitely worth going, even if you have to queue up for hours in the rain
Collapse

Francesco Volpe
Francesco Volpe  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:02
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jun 11, 2003

Dear all,

thank you so much for your suggestions. I'll definitely start queuing up very early in the morning hoping to get a good ticket.

Thanks again

Francesco

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Info about Wimbledon for London based colleagues

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »