Mobile menu

Off topic: Joe Dassin - any accent?
Thread poster: danya

Local time: 19:51
English to Russian
+ ...
Nov 15, 2008

I'd like to address the question in the subj. to the native speakers of English and French. Joe Dassin's native language was English, although he's much more renowned for his French songs (what is more, he was practically multilingual).

1) Does his English have a trace of an accent? I, for one, can hear something, but I do not trust my ear.
2) Does his French sound "less French" than, say, Jacque Brel's (no Parisian uvular R's etc.) or, again, is there an accent?

By "accent" I mean "foreign accent", not the differences among langauge varieties.

TIA everyone.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-11-15 16:24 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:51
Member (2001)
French to English
+ ...
Joe's accents Nov 15, 2008

I always detected a slight accent in both languages when Joe spoke. I am a native American, but have a native level of French, lived here and spoken French longer than English now...intersted to hear what others have to say.

Elisabetta M.  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:51
English to French
+ ...
No accent in French when singing Nov 15, 2008

I can't remember Joe in interviews but the songs are sometimes played on radio and I don't notice any accent (I'm french MT).

Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:51
French to Spanish
+ ...
No accent... Nov 15, 2008 far as I remember, and this confirms it:

Elodie Bonnafous  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:51
German to French
+ ...
No accent in French Nov 15, 2008

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Joe Dassin - any accent?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info » PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs