Off topic: Joe Dassin - any accent?
Thread poster: danya
danya
danya
Local time: 04:44
English to Russian
+ ...
Nov 15, 2008

I'd like to address the question in the subj. to the native speakers of English and French. Joe Dassin's native language was English, although he's much more renowned for his French songs (what is more, he was practically multilingual).

1) Does his English have a trace of an accent? I, for one, can hear something, but I do not trust my ear.
2) Does his French sound "less French" than, say, Jacque Brel's (no Parisian uvular R's etc.) or, again, is there an accent?
... See more
I'd like to address the question in the subj. to the native speakers of English and French. Joe Dassin's native language was English, although he's much more renowned for his French songs (what is more, he was practically multilingual).

1) Does his English have a trace of an accent? I, for one, can hear something, but I do not trust my ear.
2) Does his French sound "less French" than, say, Jacque Brel's (no Parisian uvular R's etc.) or, again, is there an accent?

By "accent" I mean "foreign accent", not the differences among langauge varieties.

TIA everyone.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-11-15 16:24 GMT]
Collapse

Gayle Wallimann
Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:44
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Joe's accents Nov 15, 2008

I always detected a slight accent in both languages when Joe spoke. I am a native American, but have a native level of French, lived here and spoken French longer than English now...intersted to hear what others have to say.

Elisabetta MULATERO PARLIER
Elisabetta MULATERO PARLIER
English to French
+ ...
No accent in French when singing Nov 15, 2008

I can't remember Joe in interviews but the songs are sometimes played on radio and I don't notice any accent (I'm french MT).

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:44
French to Spanish
+ ...
No accent... Nov 15, 2008

...as far as I remember, and this confirms it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIElXj0ZKlk

Elodie Bonnafous
Elodie Bonnafous
France
Member (2009)
German to French
+ ...
No accent in French Nov 15, 2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTLFfRofVcw

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Joe Dassin - any accent?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »