Mobile menu

Off topic: Accomodation in London for 1 month
Thread poster: M. Cristina Caimotto

M. Cristina Caimotto  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:12
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 27, 2003

I am looking for a double room in London for the month of August. We need self-catering accomodation, don't mind house sharing and don't care too much about zones (4 and 5 will do as well) I am going to look for a job and, as I don't know where I'll work, I can't care about zones now. We are staying the whole month of August for sure, and maybe longer (depending on whether we find a job or not).
The best I have found up to now is £140 per week, zone 3, what do you think about it? (it's not a direct contact, unfortunately)
please let me know any information you believe to be useful ...and contact me if you happen to have a place to rent!

Direct link Reply with quote

Paola Grassi
Local time: 09:12
English to Italian
+ ...
how to find a room in London Jun 30, 2003

Dear Maria Cristina,

you ask if the price (140£) is too high or not, but that depends on the quality of accomodation and if the price is per person or per room.
I can tell you about my experience.
In 1995 I decided to move to London for a short period and accomodation in Hotel or bed and breakfast have always been too expensive if one/two people want to spend a month or so in the "swinging" london.
The best and only cheap way to find a room and a price you are confortable and happy with is to go there and search for those small pieces of paper in newsagents and flower shop windows where people directly advertise any kind of thing they are searching for/offering.
magazines or specialized newspapers are not the best way to find an accomodation, because the usual answer you get when you call those numbers is: GONE.
So this is what I did and I would do if I were you.
I'd go to london, rent any kind of accomodation at the arrival (for 1 week) and then search for another cheaper or better one.
Take into account that the quality of accomodation directly offered from owners is sometimes very low.
When I went there in 1995, I stayed for the first week in a double room (brent cross - zone 3 - northern line) for 250 £ per week (total amount for two people sharing) and then I found a nice accomodation in Golders green (zone 3 - northern line) for 80 £ per week (40 £ each person).
But it was 1995!
Should you need more information or advice, feel free to write to my personal email address.

Good luck!
Paola Grassi

[Edited at 2003-07-01 08:27]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Accomodation in London for 1 month

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs