Thread poster: Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 28, 2008

As I wait for a couple of jobs to come in ("in your in-box at 9, Mervyn, honest"), I have what looks like a Kudoz question, since it's "how-to-translate" (but I'm too scared to ask or answer questions on Kudoz), so it's been put on Translation - Off topic since it's applicable from any language you care to mention into Eeengleesh.

The title isn't a typo, by the way. A while ago I had to translate an invitation letter to "Sir Somebody or Other". I have a feeling I can't divulge the n
... See more
As I wait for a couple of jobs to come in ("in your in-box at 9, Mervyn, honest"), I have what looks like a Kudoz question, since it's "how-to-translate" (but I'm too scared to ask or answer questions on Kudoz), so it's been put on Translation - Off topic since it's applicable from any language you care to mention into Eeengleesh.

The title isn't a typo, by the way. A while ago I had to translate an invitation letter to "Sir Somebody or Other". I have a feeling I can't divulge the name - let's just say he is a knighted actor.

In Spanish they took no notice of this, and started in with "Estimado Sr. X".

Do you say Dear Sir X, forget "Dear" and plunge straight in with "Sir X", Dear Sir Sir X, or Dear Sir, with nothing else, or what?
Collapse

LP Schumacher
LP Schumacher  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Forms of address Nov 28, 2008

Mervyn Henderson wrote:
Do you say Dear Sir X, forget "Dear" and plunge straight in with "Sir X", Dear Sir Sir X, or Dear Sir, with nothing else, or what?

This document deals with various forms of address, including certain titles and honorifics (See Page 6):

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/policyandlaw/nationalityinstructions/nisec1prosec/letters?view=Binary

[Edited at 2008-11-28 08:55 GMT]

Dusan Rabrenovic
Dusan Rabrenovic  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Member (2008)
German to Slovenian
+ ...
Very helpful document Nov 28, 2008

That's really something to hold on to; however, I suggest fixing your link (remove all characters after "Binary") or people might think it's private stuff, what with the password and all.

Stephen Gobin
Stephen Gobin
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:28
German to English
+ ...
You've got a choice Nov 28, 2008

You've got a choice with knighted people:

In correspondence, either just "Sir" or "Dear Sir Joe (Bloggs)"
and for his wife just "Madam" or "Dear Lady Joanne (Bloggs)"

and in conversation "Hello, Sir/Sir John", "Hello, My Lady/Lady Joanne". In my experience the Sirs, Ladies and Honourables I know ask for these salutations to be dispensed with)

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks ... Nov 28, 2008

... Liesl, Dusan and Stephen.

And I know what you mean, Stephen. Why, only this morning I was having a bit of a chat with Bob Geldof, and he said "Bejasus and begorrah, ye can leave out the "Sir Bob" bit, you know, Mervyn, at all, at all, at all."

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:28
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Actually, no. Nov 28, 2008

Stephen Gobin wrote:

You've got a choice with knighted people:

In correspondence, either just "Sir" or "Dear Sir Joe (Bloggs)"
and for his wife just "Madam" or "Dear Lady Joanne (Bloggs)"

and in conversation "Hello, Sir/Sir John", "Hello, My Lady/Lady Joanne". In my experience the Sirs, Ladies and Honourables I know ask for these salutations to be dispensed with)

The correct way to address a knight (or baronet) in the "greeting" is "Dear Sir Jasper" (just his forename). The envelope should be addressed to "Sir Jasper Dastardly" (forename and surname) but never "Sir Dastardly".
The correct way to address his wife in the "greeting" is "Dear Lady Dastardly". The envelope should be addressed to "Lady Dastardly".
The forename of the lady is only included (e.g. Lady Diana Spencer) if the she is the daughter of an Earl, Marquess or Duke. On marriage, she retains the forename in her title. e.g. Lady Diana Someone.
It's wrong to say "Lady Diana Dastardly" if she is the wife of a knight or baronet, unless she is also the daughter of an Earl, Marquess or Duke.
Complicated, isn't it? Not a problem I often have to tackle, however.
Best wishes,
Jenny.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Jenny Nov 28, 2008

Certainly is complicated. What a bind to have to remember all that every day.

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Swedish to English
French solution Nov 29, 2008

The French solved the problem by chopping their heads off, or simply calling them Citizen.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dear Sir Sir

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »