Mobile menu

Off topic: Is there anybody from (Northern) Scotland?
Thread poster: smarinella
smarinella  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:24
Member (2004)
German to Italian
+ ...
Jun 29, 2003

Dear Colleagues,
since I became a ProZ, I met people from all over the world.
Now I have a question for any colleague living in (Northern) Scotland.
The youngest of my 3 adoptive children (15) is going to Aberdeen in July, to attend an English course.
His elder brother, who now recovers from a motorcycle accident and is himself a sensible but naive boy, a bit younger than his age (17), wants now to go himself to Scotland "in order to work and to improve his English".
Here's the question: does anybody up there know a SERIOUS INSTITUTION (church or ecological or boy-scout or similar) where he can live, help a little bit and socialize with young people? He doesn't need to make money, of course, only spend some weeks in a "protected" environment amidst nice young people in the lonely, imposing nature of Northern Scotland.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or concrete help!
Best greetings from the Thyrrenic sea
smarinella

Direct link Reply with quote

Pernille Chapman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:24
Member (2004)
English to Danish
+ ...
Just a few suggestions Jun 30, 2003

Dear smarinella,
I can understand your concerns, but I also think it's a good idea to let your son travel a bit, especially since he's come up with this idea on his own initiative.
The following are well-known and reputable organisations working on a voluntary basis - I haven't been in contact with them personally, but have a look at their websites and see what you think.

www.findhorn.org
Alternative lifestyle, non-religious

www.iona.org.uk
Ecumenical Christian community; welcomes people of all faiths

You could also try "good old" YMCA - they have an Aberdeen branch:

http://www.aymca.freeserve.co.uk/

I'm sure there are plenty of similar organisations that can be found on the Internet.

Good luck!

Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 06:24
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Check out this link Jun 30, 2003

Check out this link.....

http://www.btcv.org.uk/cgi-bin/database_searches/website_groups.pl?region=Scotland

Perhaps one of these groups needs a volunteer for a couple of weeks.....

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there anybody from (Northern) Scotland?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs