Off topic: Christmas crunch?
Thread poster: Tina Colquhoun
Tina Colquhoun
Tina Colquhoun  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:25
Danish to English
+ ...
Dec 16, 2008

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed a tightening of belts on the Christmas front?

I seem to remember physical Christmas cards from clients plonking through the door in previous years, Christmas puddings, even 'real' presents. Now everyone just seems to be sending out round-robins by e-mail.

Or perhaps they are just too busy firing staff...

Bob Cratchit

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
A few cards Dec 16, 2008

I've had a few cards (physical ones) from regular clients, as in previous years, but no presents - I did get a couple of wedding presents earlier in the year, so maybe they don't want to spend any more on me this year

Josée Desbiens
Josée Desbiens
Canada
Local time: 20:25
English to French
Christmas email, but no offer! Dec 16, 2008

I am receiving Christmas wishes by mail from agencies that never gave me work!!! I would rather have nice projects offered to me than being on a stupid wishes list!!!!

[Modifié le 2008-12-16 17:35 GMT]

liz askew
liz askew  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
I am receiving the same Christmas cards as usual Dec 16, 2008

No change here....

Never received presents from ANY employer I have ever worked for!

Sad isn't it??

I shall survive

Liz

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:25
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Things as usual Dec 16, 2008

We are usually the ones who love to share some Spanish Christmas goodies around. But this year we are quite happy as we already have three boxes of fine chocolates from customers and friends. Lovely!

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Funny you should mention this ... Dec 16, 2008

I returned home from the notary this afternoon, rather irritated after what was a rather long-drawn-out affair, as most bureaucratic things tend to be here in Portugal, to find a present on my doorstep - yes, that's right, in my small town the postman just leaves it on your doorstep if you're out!

Anyhow, I eagerly ripped off the wrapping paper to find a lovely crate of quality wine, cheese and crackers from one of the agencies I do a lot of work for in the Netherlands.

... See more
I returned home from the notary this afternoon, rather irritated after what was a rather long-drawn-out affair, as most bureaucratic things tend to be here in Portugal, to find a present on my doorstep - yes, that's right, in my small town the postman just leaves it on your doorstep if you're out!

Anyhow, I eagerly ripped off the wrapping paper to find a lovely crate of quality wine, cheese and crackers from one of the agencies I do a lot of work for in the Netherlands.

This same agency pays excellent rates, never haggles about CAT discounts and the like, and if I submit an invoice at the end of the month, it's paid by the 5th of the following month. Like clockwork.

On top of that, the staff are full of fun in their emails and over the phone, quick to respond to emails and great when it comes to providing reference material, glossaries and general support.

I thought it was a lovely gesture - one I was very used to in practice as a lawyer, but haven't experienced much of since taking up full-time translation - and just wanted to share a good-news story for a change, particularly after all the doom and gloom that's been going around the forums lately.

Now, where's that corkscrew ...?

[Edited at 2008-12-16 21:56 GMT]
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

No presents so far... Dec 17, 2008

...but lots of cards.
Gotta get busy myself! Last year I simply did not have time. This year, again, not really...

Best wishes to all for a fruitful 2009!
Nancy

Silvia Barra (X)
Silvia Barra (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
The same for me Dec 17, 2008

Josée Desbiens wrote:

I am receiving Christmas wishes by mail from agencies that never gave me work!!! I would rather have nice projects offered to me than being on a stupid wishes list!!!!

[Modifié le 2008-12-16 17:35 GMT]

It's the same for me. Many cards, even from agencies that never gave me a cent of work, but no work

Best wishes
Silvia

Marion van Venrooij-Rooijmans
Netherlands
English to Dutch
Do they need more translators? Dec 17, 2008

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

This same agency pays excellent rates, never haggles about CAT discounts and the like, and if I submit an invoice at the end of the month, it's paid by the 5th of the following month. Like clockwork.

On top of that, the staff are full of fun in their emails and over the phone, quick to respond to emails and great when it comes to providing reference material, glossaries and general support.

Could you give them my contact details, just in case they need a EN-NL translator?

I've received some cards, but no presents (yet).

Speranza
Speranza  Identity Verified

Spanish to Russian
+ ...
Some of my clients Dec 17, 2008

are sending cards by email explaining they will donate the money saved on physical postcards to charities. That is what they did in previous years, too.

Justine Sherwood
Justine Sherwood  Identity Verified
Italy
Dutch to English
+ ...
Lucky you Dec 17, 2008

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

I thought it was a lovely gesture - one I was very used to in practice as a lawyer, but haven't experienced much of since taking up full-time translation - and just wanted to share a good-news story for a change, particularly after all the doom and gloom that's been going around the forums lately.

Now, where's that corkscrew ...?

I've also never received a present from a client in my life, save a pack of sparklers a few years ago. Maybe it's not such a good idea to send stuff like that through the post anymore though.

Even if someone did send me something I'd probably never receive it thanks to the Canarian postal service. Have had plenty of e-cards though.

Justine Sherwood
Justine Sherwood  Identity Verified
Italy
Dutch to English
+ ...
do you send cards? Dec 17, 2008

although I was complaining about not receiving anything, does anyone here actually send cards or presents to their clients (eg. agencies). Can't say I have ever done so.

Netherlands
English to Dutch
I do Dec 17, 2008

Justine Fischbach wrote:

although I was complaining about not receiving anything, does anyone here actually send cards or presents to their clients (eg. agencies). Can't say I have ever done so.

Yes, I do. I usually send cards to all clients that have sent me work in that year, even though if it was just one tiny job. Perhaps when they receive the card, they remember my name and that tiny job I did for them and will send me more work if anything in my pair and field comes up. Even if it has no effect, I still think it's nice to add a personal touch to a business relation.

I thought about sending chocolates to one of my best clients in 2007. However, that client is from Belgium and Belgian chocolate is waaaaaay better than Dutch chocolate, so it didn't make much sense and I only sent them a nice card.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Christmas cards Dec 17, 2008

I send out cards every year (along with my business card).

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Xmas hamper Dec 17, 2008

Like Debs, I was pleasantly surprised to find a huge hamper waiting for me on the steps the other day. It had Joselito ham, champers, red plonk, white plonk, rosé plonk, tins of foie, asparagus, turrón, the works. And a big thank-you note from my bestest bestest customer. "Thanks for everything", they gurgled. "It's a mystery to us how we get through life without you."

... How I chuckled as I eagerly informed my long-suffering other half. She rolled over. "Time to wake up, get the
... See more
Like Debs, I was pleasantly surprised to find a huge hamper waiting for me on the steps the other day. It had Joselito ham, champers, red plonk, white plonk, rosé plonk, tins of foie, asparagus, turrón, the works. And a big thank-you note from my bestest bestest customer. "Thanks for everything", they gurgled. "It's a mystery to us how we get through life without you."

... How I chuckled as I eagerly informed my long-suffering other half. She rolled over. "Time to wake up, get the coffee on, and earn some dosh for Xmas presents to other people," she told me, sighing a little ...

So no, no cards or prezzies yet. But that's like any other year, so it doesn't seem to have anything to do with battening down hatches in the post-Madoff era.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Christmas crunch?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »