Off topic: Ever hear of a Rompezvous?
Thread poster: Rachel Vanarsdall

Rachel Vanarsdall  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:29
Member (2004)
French to English
Jul 8, 2003

I've been asked to explain the origin/nationality of "Rompezvous"

"Hello, we have a lodge on our property with a large stone fireplace inside. Etched in the stone are the words:

The Rompezvous

We have searched and searched looking for the meaning/nationality of this word, but have not been able to figure it out."

I believe the lodge in question is in the US, by the way.

Seems like a safe bet that this is just a combination of "Romp" and "rendez-vous" but I thought I'd ask the prozeans just in case...

Anyone heard of a family named "Rompezvou"? Or have any obscure information or colorful theories about this word?

Direct link Reply with quote

Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:29
French to Spanish
+ ...
Aucune idée, mais... Jul 8, 2003

C'est un endroit tranquile, au coin du feu... et "être rompu", c'est être très fatigué, non ? Alors, peut-être, Rompezvous, c'est: "restez là, vous qui êtes fatigué, et reposez-vous".
Mais ce n'est qu'une idée...
Bonne chance.

two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 01:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
Frangnol? Jul 8, 2003

Could it have been used humourously? From Spanish "romper" = to break ? Just an idea, could somebody have hit their head on placing the logs in the fireplace?

H

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
I think you've got it Jul 8, 2003

Seems like a safe bet that this is just a combination of "Romp" and "rendez-vous" but I thought I'd ask the prozeans just in case...

First it really sounds French and could be all French (verb "rompre"= break in imperative mood).
"Rendez-vous" means "go" (to a place), but it's also a date of any kind (you can take a "rendez-vous" with your doctor), so it makes you meet others. In airports the meeting point is "le point rendez-vous".

"Rompez-vous" would be "break yourself" or with a play on words, the opposite of a "rendez-vous" (as to break with somebody means the opposite).
This is what I imagined first, that it had been the place where an important rupture had taken place.

But what you said about "romp" made me check that word that I didn't know in English. I think that's the answer, it's the place for romping. A bilingual play on words.
Of course, it's just a theory. But it sounds romantic

two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Romantic indeed!! Jul 8, 2003

According to the theory : romp (English meaning + vous from rendezvous) the site was meant for trysts !! who knows?
.-)
H

Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:29
Czech to German
+ ...
An opportunity to do some historical research... Jul 9, 2003

Maybe it is a bit far off but could it be possible that the former owners (you mention the year 1929) of this lodge divorced and met again at this place? This is what I first thought when reading your post - romantic indeed!

Rachel Vanarsdall  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:29
Member (2004)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the ideas Jul 9, 2003

Thanks to all for your interesting suggestions! I especially like the one about the reunited couple. I confess I immediately thought of the English word "romp" when I got this question, completely forgetting the French "rompre." I do think it's significant that the fireplace is called "The" Rompezvous and not "Le" Rompezvous so I'm going with my original idea. I hope you won't mind if I pass your other ideas along as well.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ever hear of a Rompezvous?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs