Off topic: Ever hear of a Rompezvous?
Thread poster: Rachel Vanarsdall

Rachel Vanarsdall  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:46
Member (2004)
French to English
Jul 8, 2003

I've been asked to explain the origin/nationality of "Rompezvous"

"Hello, we have a lodge on our property with a large stone fireplace inside. Etched in the stone are the words:

The Rompezvous

We have searched and searched looking for the meaning/nationality of this word, but have not been able to figure it out."

I believe the lodge in question is in the US, by the way.

Seems like a safe bet that this is just a combination of "Romp" and "rendez-vous" but I thought I'd ask the prozeans just in case...

Anyone heard of a family named "Rompezvou"? Or have any obscure information or colorful theories about this word?

Direct link Reply with quote

Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:46
French to Spanish
+ ...
Aucune idée, mais... Jul 8, 2003

C'est un endroit tranquile, au coin du feu... et "être rompu", c'est être très fatigué, non ? Alors, peut-être, Rompezvous, c'est: "restez là, vous qui êtes fatigué, et reposez-vous".
Mais ce n'est qu'une idée...
Bonne chance.

two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 04:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Frangnol? Jul 8, 2003

Could it have been used humourously? From Spanish "romper" = to break ? Just an idea, could somebody have hit their head on placing the logs in the fireplace?

H

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
I think you've got it Jul 8, 2003

Seems like a safe bet that this is just a combination of "Romp" and "rendez-vous" but I thought I'd ask the prozeans just in case...

First it really sounds French and could be all French (verb "rompre"= break in imperative mood).
"Rendez-vous" means "go" (to a place), but it's also a date of any kind (you can take a "rendez-vous" with your doctor), so it makes you meet others. In airports the meeting point is "le point rendez-vous".

"Rompez-vous" would be "break yourself" or with a play on words, the opposite of a "rendez-vous" (as to break with somebody means the opposite).
This is what I imagined first, that it had been the place where an important rupture had taken place.

But what you said about "romp" made me check that word that I didn't know in English. I think that's the answer, it's the place for romping. A bilingual play on words.
Of course, it's just a theory. But it sounds romantic

two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Romantic indeed!! Jul 8, 2003

According to the theory : romp (English meaning + vous from rendezvous) the site was meant for trysts !! who knows?
.-)
H

Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:46
Czech to German
+ ...
An opportunity to do some historical research... Jul 9, 2003

Maybe it is a bit far off but could it be possible that the former owners (you mention the year 1929) of this lodge divorced and met again at this place? This is what I first thought when reading your post - romantic indeed!

Rachel Vanarsdall  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:46
Member (2004)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the ideas Jul 9, 2003

Thanks to all for your interesting suggestions! I especially like the one about the reunited couple. I confess I immediately thought of the English word "romp" when I got this question, completely forgetting the French "rompre." I do think it's significant that the fireplace is called "The" Rompezvous and not "Le" Rompezvous so I'm going with my original idea. I hope you won't mind if I pass your other ideas along as well.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ever hear of a Rompezvous?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs