Off topic: Question to freelancers living in Germany - Health Insurance
Thread poster: Vittorina Klingbeil

Vittorina Klingbeil  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:28
Italian to English
+ ...
Jan 21, 2009

Hello all,

I have been living in Germany for some months and am scratching my head at health insurance regulations and options. I do not qualify to enter my husband's health insurance system since I earn more than the allowable limit for spousal earnings. I have already looked at DAK, whose rates are too high, and DKV, whose rates are manageable but they require me to sign a 2 year contract, which I am loath to do. I have also looked at expat schemes, such as Expacare and A La Carte.

My questions to any colleagues who have experience in this sort of thing and/or have been living here a longer time: has anyone joined one of the expat schemes and what are your experiences; any advice to offer on whether it is better to join one of the German schemes rather than the expat ones; if so, which one?

Many thanks for any advice,

Direct link Reply with quote

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:28
Member (2003)
German to English
Expat schemes Jan 21, 2009

We are in the process of switching to "expat schemes" for private insurance here after years with DAK and Techniker. If you are interested in a referral to Swiss broker who specializes in such things, contact me by private mail.

Paul Skidmore  Identity Verified
German to English
Public health insurance also an option Jan 22, 2009

Hi Vittorina

I do not know how long you plan to live in Germany. If you plan to be here more than a few months, have you considered the "public" (gesetzliche) health insurance schemes. Some 80% or so of the population in Germany are insured through these schemes and they offer coverage (and premiums) which are unrelated to any previous illnesses, disabilities or health conditions.

xxxEric Hahn  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
Bund der Auswärtserwerbstätigen (BDAE e.V.) Jan 22, 2009

Members of this association for expats can get an affordable world wide health insurance.
Only abroad for people with German nationality, but also in Germany for foreigners.

I am a freelancer living in France as an expat !

[Edited at 2009-01-22 21:06 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question to freelancers living in Germany - Health Insurance

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs