Mobile menu

Off topic: Happy New Year by the Chinese Calendar
Thread poster: trackU
Local time: 20:47
English to Russian
Jan 26, 2009

The Chinese New Year that is celebrated for about fifteen days is one moment in the year when the whole nation feels united as they can imagine each other's enjoyment. The Chinese New Year gets determined by the chinese new year calendar and therefore it is sometimes called the Lunar New Year. In 2009, the Chinese Lunar Year Festival would start from 26 th of January.

It is often called the Lunar New Year, especially by people in mainland China and Taiwan

Direct link Reply with quote

Christina Paiva  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:17
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Happy Buffalo Year! Jan 26, 2009

According to the book "Your Chinese Horoscope 2009' The buffalo year favors effort and commitment! Highlights for law and order and safety, education, environment and agriculture. and more..

However it won't be good for the stock market..

The Buffalo year is kind of slow, but efforts will be rewarded!

I'm a Dragon What is your Chinese sign?

[Edited at 2009-01-26 17:12 GMT]

Álida Gándara
Local time: 11:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
I'm a rabbit Jan 27, 2009

Happy New Year.

Angeline PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:17
English to Chinese
+ ...
Spring Festival Jan 31, 2009

Chinese new year always called as Spring Festival.

Letizia Ridolfi
Local time: 18:17
English to Italian
+ ...
I'm a snake-fire Feb 2, 2009

It's not so bad as it may seem: a snake is elegant and smart (true!), it doesn't like to talk to much (false!!!!!) and it is quite diplomatic (mmmhh...yep). Wise and generous, so they say, but also (must confess!) not quite meek...

Why should I? I'm so elegant...

chica nueva
Local time: 05:17
Chinese to English
Happy New Year to you too! (next month) Feb 2, 2009

Hello Track

Thank you! Yes, it will end with 元宵节 Yuanxiaojie on the 15th day, this Saturday (7 February): Lantern Festival. Yuanxiao are sweet dumplings. It is a little like Valentines Day in the West.

Here is a little piece of a translation about the Song Dynasty poet Zhu Shu Zhen:
"The period of Zhu Shu Zhen's life was perhaps a little later than Li Qing Zhao's. ... She had had a true love. They had once on the night of the Lantern Festival gone to see the lanterns together, and were intoxicated in the gaiety of "Fire trees silver flowers all you can see is red, show up the sky drumming and piping stir up spring wind". ..."

I do not know what nationality you are. Anyhow, now I read about Persian New Year, at the spring equinox in March (from Wiki). It's called Nowroz in Afghanistan. It lasts for 2 weeks too. There are special horse-sports competitions, like polo. I heard about these horse-sports when I was in China. They are famous.

So many countries have a spring festival: Japan cherry-blossom and so on. And Eastre was an ancient Saxon spring festival, with eggs, rabbits, chickens...

Kia ora.
(this is Maori language from my country.)

[Edited at 2009-02-02 22:35 GMT]

chica nueva
Local time: 05:17
Chinese to English
The Chinese calendar ... Feb 3, 2009

is 'lunisolar'.

'Chinese months follow the phases of the moon. As a result, they do not accurately follow the seasons of the solar year. ... Chinese New Year is usually the new moon closest to lìchūn ( = start of spring)':

Li Chun is the first of 24 Solar Terms in the year. Qing Ming (the 5th Term) is well-known.

The Solar Terms are present in Korean and Japanese calendars also:

[Edited at 2009-02-03 07:49 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Happy New Year by the Chinese Calendar

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs