Mobile menu

Off topic: France bans "e-mail" from vocabulary
Thread poster: Christine Healy-Rendel
Christine Healy-Rendel  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Jul 18, 2003

I heard this on CNN and Fox News today:

Goodbye "e-mail", the French government says, and hello "courriel" -- the term that linguistically sensitive France is now using to refer to electronic mail in official documents.

Please see,2933,92314,00.html

[Edited at 2003-07-18 20:24]

[Edited at 2003-07-18 20:24]

[Edited at 2003-07-18 20:30]

Direct link Reply with quote

Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:42
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
this is old news Jul 18, 2003

"courriel" has been used for several years now in France.
Occassionally I also came across with "mél", short for "message éléctronic", and closer in pronunciation to "e-mail".

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ... seen in the forums: Jul 18, 2003

Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:42
French to Spanish
+ ...
Also recently... Jul 18, 2003

Merci !

German to English
+ ...
Old news indeed Jul 19, 2003

"The Culture Ministry has announced a ban on the use of "e-mail" in all government ministries, documents, publications or Web sites, the latest step to stem an incursion of English words into the French lexicon. "

Old news indeed: As far as I can remember, the Académie Française has been pulling stunts like this. On the one hand, it seems a bit farcical to try to regulate the words people use, but on the other hand, I often wish the German authorities would encourage speakers of their language not to use English words when they have perfectly good German equivalents.

Particularly when the German meaning of the English word bears no resemblance to the English one, e.g. "Handy".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

France bans "e-mail" from vocabulary

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs