Mar 1, 2009

Have you seen it?

Direct link Reply with quote

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:45
Partial member
+ ...
I missed it! Mar 1, 2009

I saw the last 2 minutes and unfortunately my local PBS station is not gonna air it anytime soon. From what I got to see, it looked amazing.
I hope they repeat it or someone uploads it on youtube. Here's the PBS website:

I reminded me of a report I watched on TV last year about the last speaker of an Amazonian language. He was the very last one and was living with another tribe because his people had died or left, and the young ones never learned the language. One young linguist had gone over to where he lived so she could, at least, document something about the language, because the government doesn't care. Anyway, the report got me bawling at the end, it was really sad.

Thanks for the reminder Amy, I'll keep checking.

And wouldn't we want to preserve a language whose word for "sun" means "the eye of the sky"?

MGL  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:45
Russian to English
I remember hearing about this some time ago Mar 2, 2009

I just looked, and if you happen to be in an area served by Netflix, they have it listed (although as of yet "unknown" as to when it will become available). I am adding it to our queue, hopefully we will get it eventually!

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:45
English to French
+ ...
Sorry I missed it Mar 2, 2009

I wish I could see it, too. This is a cause I am very passionate about.

Here is a link to a site that deals with endangered languages:

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Documentary film about lost languages

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs