Hacene  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:10
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
Mar 2, 2009

Hi everybody,

This forum is a bit special as I am involved in planning a trip through Europe for my wife and I (celebrating our 5 wedding anniversary) and for a couple of friends (celebrating their 25th anniversary).

The idea is to travel from the UK, to start in Berlin, then go to Prague, Vienna, Budapest, Sofia and then Istanbul, only spending a couple of days in each city (the old Orient Express road). The journey should start during the last week of July and should last about 3 weeks

My friends have 2 boys one 12 years old and a 14 years old. The youngest one is pretty much like Henry Henfield (and he is only 12!!), the oldest is the perfect nerd (nothing pejorative in it at all). This kid is currently studying a Czech phrase book for this trip, and he already know 20 words or so in 30 odd languages (Japanese, Xhosa, Zulu, etc). To give a bit more of background, my friends are well seasoned travellers (the wife is from South Africa and the husband is from Asian descent via Kenya, and they took their kid visiting over 15 countries over the the last decade).

So I am looking for fellow translators who would have kids about their age so that the kids could start networking and meet people their age (and hopefully establish life long friendships!!).

So, if you are a translator living in
- Berlin,
- Prague,
- Vienna
- Budapest
- Sofia

and if you are available for that period,

Please answer this post so we can see what we can do for these kids.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Hacène

Direct link Reply with quote

United Kingdom
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
more like a monologue Mar 2, 2009

Oh dear,

Many people read this post and not a single reply.

What does it says about our community in the cities we are to visit:

a) translators do not have children
b) translators do not live in these cities
c) there will be no translators in the mentioned cities at the mentioned period
d) there will be no kids in these places at the given time
OR
any combination of the above
lol

Never mind, I tried. Thank you all for taking the time to read this.

Also, if some people are interested in joining us in this trip, please do not hesitate in contacting me.

Kind regards,

Hacène

[Edited at 2009-03-02 13:19 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-03-02 13:20 GMT]

Penelope Ausejo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
Maybe they haven't had time to answer Mar 2, 2009

Maybe they haven't had time to answer, or maybe they didn't read it yet.

My kids are too young (3, 2, 2) and we live in Pamplona (Spain), but I thought your idea was great! Too bad we cannot help you!

Good luck!

United Kingdom
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
just a jest ;-) Mar 2, 2009

Dear Penelope,

Thanks for the reply.

The second post was a bit of a laugh because as you said, there has not been that much time since I posted this thread, but it also require translators speaking English and reading the "off-topic" forum.

Insofar as you are concerned, indeed your kid are young, but we are fortunate enough to live at a time where it is easier to network and travel than it was a few decades ago, and we should take this opportunity to provide the best human experience to children.

If you want to come to the UK, let me know I can see what I can do for you. Also, the younger they meet the world the more rounded they will be.

Also, if you want to join our trip, feel free to drop me a line. I know with three young children the logistic entailed is not an easy one, but for me this journey through Europe is something to do at least once in a life time.

Amicalmente,

Hacène

United Kingdom
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
sœur Anne ne vois-tu rien venir? Mar 5, 2009

Well, 4 days since this post and still no answer. What a pity.

Thank you to all those who read this post.

Hacène

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:10
English to German
+ ...
Hi Hacène Mar 5, 2009

Be patient...

I noticed that you started this thread on a Monday morning - pretty much the worst timing possible to discuss vacation and holidays. The week is still in full swing and people are busy. I am sure that you will receive more replies by the weekend.

Also, did you check if any powwows are taking place in the cities that you are going to visit? This would be a wonderful opportunity to meet other translators - with kids.

Greetings,

Nicole

United Kingdom
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:-) Hi nicole Mar 6, 2009

Dear Nicole,

Thank you for the piece of advise.

I checked the powwows calendar and nothing in that period. Not surprising I must say as it is pretty much the time when every one is escaping away for the holidays.

You are right, I did not think in terms of beginning of the week or weekend. It is just that for me, as I often receive "Friday" missions, there is no more difference between week days and the other days.

Also, I think my suggestion would be good for the kids and their personal development, but I need to plan things so that we can keep them busy during the trip (finding things for them to do that are both educational and entertaining), and we are already in March and my workload leave me little time to do all the things I would like to do.

Yet, this post is not going to close.

The invitation to join us in this trip is also open to anyone who would be interested in such a journey (with or without children) as these cities are full of history and things to see. But once again, this needs a bit of advance warning as there is some prep to do (visa, bookings, etc.).

Best regards,

Hacène

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Powwows Mar 6, 2009

Hi Hacène,

July is still far away; few powwows are announced 4 months in advance. Perhaps you could make a preliminary plan: Prague this period, Budapest that period, etc., and make it known here. I can post a message in the Hungarian forum in Hungarian for you, pointing out that you expect to be in Hungary those days, and if somebody feels like organizing a powwow, you would happily participate. Others will surely help out with other languages. But are your wife, kids, and friends comfortable with a powwow-hopping trip through Europe?

I think it is a very good period for powwows, they can be held in the great outdoors, café terraces. Thanks to Rod Darby, last year we had a lovely powwow with a canoe trip next to Toulouse (http://www.proz.com/powwow_report/1865); AFAIK the idea is not yet patented, so similar fun outings can be easily organized in this period, especially if planned well in advance.

Kind regards,
Attila

[Edited at 2009-03-06 10:17 GMT]

United Kingdom
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am game Mar 6, 2009

Hi Attila,

Thank you for your suggestions.

Basically the journey would be:
Berlin: Arr Thurs 30 July -- Dep Monday 3 Aug (4 nights)
Prague Arr Mon 3rd Aug -- Dep Thurs 6 Aug (3 nights)
Vienna Arr Thurs 6 Aug -- Dep Sun 9 Aug (3 nights)
Budapest Arr Sun 9 Aug -- Dep Wed 12 Aug (3 nights)
Sofia Arr Thurs 13 Aug -- Dep Sat 15 Aug (a long train journey + 2 nights)
Edirne Arr Sat 15 Aug -- Dep Mon 17 Aug (2 nights)
Istanbul Arr Mon 17 Aug

I did not ask about Turkey as in Edirne we will be visiting some friends of my wife and in Istanbul her family will looked after us, hence I cannot commit to anything while in Turkey.

I do not mind attending a few powwows and meeting with colleagues. My friends and my wife as they are not translators (my wife is an architect, my friend is a science teacher and his wife is working for the council in sustainable development). But the point of being a group is that all can do what they want, what interest them most.

Personally, I am easy going, I would like to see a few museum and just walk about in the various cities. Powwows for me would be meeting with the locals and would teach me so much (language, culture, history, etc.). Of course for me there are a few landmarks that need to be visited, but I would hate to have a snapshot holiday as for me people make most of the beauty of a place.

If translators have kids, I am sure none of us would not mind supervising the kids while they are doing their things around town.

This being said, I will still officially be working so depending on the work flow I will need some leeway to deliver the work to my clients. As they say: the show must go on

Let me know what you think.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Hacène

France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Consider rescheduling, seriously Mar 6, 2009

Hi Hacène,

If you plan to leave Budapest a couple of days later, you will have a chance to attend Europe's largest music festival, Sziget, which will take place between 12 and 17 August. An entire island of the Danube is reserved for the festival, and I can safely say that it is the largest-scale cultural event of the year in Hungary. With several dozen stages, you will find a lot of different musical styles. While the great majority of the island dwellers are between 15 and 25, other generations are present, too, and can find programs to their taste.

You would not want to leave Pamplona on the dawn of St. Fermin.

Kind regards,
Attila

United Kingdom
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Indeed, sounds quite interesting Mar 6, 2009

Hi Attila,

Thank you for the tip.
I need definitively to take this into consideration, but we won't be able to stay that long in Budapest, but I don't think it will be too much hassle staying another day or two (even if we shorten our stay in Edirne).

However, I went to the link you provided and it seems that tickets are for the entire festival. Nonetheless, this will require serious consideration.

Cheers,

Hacène

France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Daily tickets can be bought on site Mar 6, 2009

Daily tickets can be bought on site.
Attila

United Kingdom
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
nice one Mar 6, 2009

Dear Attila,

This is great news.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Hacène

United Kingdom
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 18, 2009

Well, I would like to thank all the people who read this thread.

A pity nobody contacted me though.

Well, I hope the children will not be too disappointed and bored.

I still think that would be a great idea to help youngsters networking.

Bye

Penelope Ausejo  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Too bad! Mar 20, 2009

Too bad you are not coming to Pamplona (Spain) and that anyway, my kids are way too young to entertain your friends'. I would have love to meet with you since I believe it is a great opportunity for kids (and adults) to get in touch with other cultures and we would have had fun

You never know.. maybe you can re-post a bit closer to July...

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

European Journey

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs