Mobile menu

I am looking for anyone who can tell me why "sea mustard" has it's own name.
Thread poster: organizer
organizer
South Korea
Local time: 01:51
English to Korean
+ ...
Jul 27, 2003

Since I am not a good English spoken man, why 'sea mustard' has it's name such that way.

I know the 'sea mustard' has another name, i.e, 'sea weed.'

TIA.

Direct link Reply with quote

Kevin Fulton
United States
Local time: 13:21
German to English
There's no explanation Jul 27, 2003

I assume you're asking about "Miyeok-guk". There are a lot of different types of seaweeds, and people sometimes name things according to their appearance, not their proper scientific classification. Another example is a "sea cucumber." It looks (to some people) like a cucumber.

By the way, there's no need to apologize for your English on a forum like this!
Kevin

Sheila Hardie  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:21
Catalan to English
+ ...
Sea mustard Jul 27, 2003

testline wrote:

Since I am not a good English spoken man, why 'sea mustard' has it's name such that way.

I know the 'sea mustard' has another name, i.e, 'sea weed.'

TIA.

I am not sure if you were wondering about the other common names for 'sea mustard'. I hope that was what you wanted:-)

The scientific name is Undaria pennatifida and the common names for this species include:

Common names: Ao-wakame, Ito-wakame, Kizami-kombu, Kizami-wakami, Miyok, Nambu-wakame, Precious sea grass, Sea mustard, Wakame

http://www.surialink.com/HANDBOOK/Genera/browns/Undaria/Undaria.htm

I am not sure why it's called sea mustard - maybe because of the appearance, maybe the taste. I've never eaten it, but have read it is meant to taste like oysters:-)

I hope that helps you a wee bit.

Sheila

[Edited at 2003-07-27 22:38]

organizer
South Korea
Local time: 01:51
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You are right. But rather than "Miyeok-guk" I am searching "Miyeok"... Jul 28, 2003

Thanks Kevin.

I agree that "there are a lot of different types of seaweeds."

My question is that why 'sea mustard' has its name.

After it's appearance with 'mustard'? Or its taste is very similar to 'mustard'?

---

DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:21
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
What an interesting question :-) Jul 31, 2003

testline wrote:

Thanks Kevin.

I agree that "there are a lot of different types of seaweeds."

My question is that why 'sea mustard' has its name.

After it's appearance with 'mustard'? Or its taste is very similar to 'mustard'?

---

Does anybody know whether it is an edible sea weed (assuming it is a sea weed, I don't know even that much, unlike all you clever marine(?) botanists above, who I salute), and if so, where it is eaten. Another possibility (which I don't know either) is that in some way it resembles Mustard, which is famous for having yellow flowers.

Best wishes
Giuli

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I am looking for anyone who can tell me why "sea mustard" has it's own name.

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs