Mobile menu

Off topic: What do you call "guessing/riddle cards" in English?
Thread poster: Maciek Drobka

Maciek Drobka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 09:01
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Mar 9, 2009

Hi all,

I am about to buy some books and CDs in English for my soon-to-turn-four son.

I am also looking to buy him a guessing/riddle card game in English similar to a game he loves to play in Polish with his mom.

The Polish game is basically a 72-card set, with each card having a short rhyming riddle on one side (they are 4-line riddles in the game we have at home), and a matching picture on the other side. The object is for the child to guess what is being described after hearing the rhyming description. The picture serves as a confirmation of whether he's guessed correctly.

The objects to guess are everyday objects such as socks, a fire engine, a ball, etc.

I've tried looking up 'guessing cards', 'riddle cards' and 'guessing game' on amazon.co.uk, but got no satisfactory results.

I get guessing books in search results, but I'd very much prefer card format to book format as cards are more compact and convenient to use.

Could you help me with the best search terms to use in this situation?

Thank you,
Maciek

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxPeter Manda
Local time: 04:01
German to English
+ ...
guessing Mar 9, 2009

try "match" and its derivations.

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
trivia / quiz Mar 9, 2009

I would try to search using the keywords "trivia" or "quiz"; to refine the results, you may add "kids" and/or "cards". This gave some results on amazon.
Attila

Loredana Barozzino
English to Italian
+ ...
flash cards Mar 9, 2009

Flash cards are a bit different (two cards one with a picture and the other with a word, sentence to match).

You can download samples of flash cards in English here

http://www.britishcouncil.org/kids-flashcards.htm

Hope it helps

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:01
English to Arabic
+ ...
Check this out Mar 9, 2009

Hi Maciek,

I don't know if that's what you're looking for (no idea what "pocket charts" are), but you may find this interesting

100 Riddle Poems for Pocket Charts
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0439256143/garinmichaudroge/

They may at least give you ideas to make your own such riddle cards.

iseult  Identity Verified
United States
English to Polish
+ ...
Maćku, Mar 9, 2009

Try "I spy" series, I think this is what you are looking for.

http://www.scholastic.com/ispy/play/wizardslab/index.asp

It doesn't have cards (or maybe it does, too), but books are with riddles and a child has to find an object in the picture. I don't know if amazon UK sells it, but here (US) they are rather cheap.
And the most important kids love it.

Best,

izolda

Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I second "flash cards" Mar 9, 2009

Here in the US, we would simply call those "flash cards".
There are many types of flash cards; for vocabulary, math, other subjects.
A question, math problem, or picture would be on one side, and the other side would bear the corresponding answer, solution, word or phrase.

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:01
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Question-and-answer cards... Mar 9, 2009

...is what they are called in Trivial Pursuit. Not sure if it exactly fits your case though.
Parker Trivial pursuit - Compare all prices and products with ...
Features: gameboard, 200 question-and-answer cards, 4 tokens, 24 scoring wedges, 2 dice.A kids edition of Trivial Pursuit! Children can answer questions ...
www.twenga.co.uk/dir-Toys-Games,Board-games,Board-games-Questions,Trivial-pursuit-1898

Nicolas Coyer  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 03:01
Spanish to French
+ ...
Brain Quest Mar 9, 2009

I think the Brain Quest cards might also be similar to what you are describing.
I bought some for my 7-yr old. I don't know if they have a deck for younger ones.
Check out this site:
http://www.brainquest.com/

Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:01
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I agree with flashcards Mar 9, 2009

I think "flash cards" is the best alternative.

I am an English Teacher and can say that you can use flash cards abour pratically anything - past tenses of irregular verbs, vocabulary, number recognition, arithmetic (I also graduated in Mathematics)- as well as leisure pursuits like football teams and their emblems, buildings and their locations -so see no reason why one can not be done for riddles.

Just one thing, they seem to be difficult to buy - so why not make yourself a set? All you would need is one or more A4 sheets of cardboard (any colour although white would be best), a pen for writing on the cards (have the two sides in contrasting colours e.g. use black for the riddles and red for the answers) and scissors. You may also wish to plastify them for durability.

Maciek Drobka  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all for your input! Mar 10, 2009

After a quick search on amazon, I think 'flash cards' look the most promising. I will explore all the options you provided, and I hope I find something my son will like.

Maciek

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do you call "guessing/riddle cards" in English?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs