Off topic: Bellydance in Cairo - any recommendations?
Thread poster: Pascale Pluton
Pascale Pluton
Pascale Pluton  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:20
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
Mar 24, 2009

Hello everybody,

I hope I am at the right place with my question.
A friend of mine will be in Cairo soon and he would like to know where to find quality bellydance shows. He is rather interested in the real Mac Coy rather than in shows for the tourists and of course the show should not be overpriced in respect to quality.

Ideally he would like to go to a show where he could dance afterwards.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations

P
... See more
Hello everybody,

I hope I am at the right place with my question.
A friend of mine will be in Cairo soon and he would like to know where to find quality bellydance shows. He is rather interested in the real Mac Coy rather than in shows for the tourists and of course the show should not be overpriced in respect to quality.

Ideally he would like to go to a show where he could dance afterwards.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations

Pascale
Collapse

Ana Kroll
Ana Kroll  Identity Verified
German to Polish
+ ...
?? Mar 24, 2009

Hi Pascale,

Hmm, good question, I'm not sure, but I have friends in Cairo. I will contact my friends and ask about it. I hope to have the answer soon...

With best wishes!
Ann

Pascale Pluton
Pascale Pluton  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you for trying Mar 24, 2009

It would be very kind of you indeed Ann.

It is always great to experience a country from within and not only as a tourist.
This friend of mine will be in Cairo from 12 to 14 of april on his way back from Ouganda to Holland.

With my best regards

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Forum Mar 25, 2009

You can ask your question on http://www.bellydanceforums.net/, where pro and amateur dancers meet and greet. I'm sure they will be able to help you!

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:20
English to Arabic
+ ...
I can't say that I know... Mar 25, 2009

"Quality bellydance" has become a rare commodity I think, but if he really wants to see the "real thing" he could try going to Al-Haram Street (i.e. the "pyramid" street which is the endless street leading up to the Pyramids of Giza) one evening and visiting one of the bigger night clubs (or "cabarets" as they're known in Egypt). I couldn't possibly recommend anything there, it's not really the family-friendly type of place I'd ever set foot in!

Alternatively, he could visit one of
... See more
"Quality bellydance" has become a rare commodity I think, but if he really wants to see the "real thing" he could try going to Al-Haram Street (i.e. the "pyramid" street which is the endless street leading up to the Pyramids of Giza) one evening and visiting one of the bigger night clubs (or "cabarets" as they're known in Egypt). I couldn't possibly recommend anything there, it's not really the family-friendly type of place I'd ever set foot in!

Alternatively, he could visit one of the big 5-star hotels* on a Thursday evening (only Thursdays) and just wait for the wedding party to go up or down the big stairs to the wedding hall, fronted by one or more belly dancers. It's a nice spectacle to watch anyway, for a few minutes (but can be incredibly boring and endless if you're one of the invitees having to stand on the sides for an hour!)

(e.g the Nile Hilton)

[Edited at 2009-03-25 05:21 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bellydance in Cairo - any recommendations?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »