Thread poster: Jack Doughty

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:49
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Aug 31, 2003

I'm not sure if this is a fault or not, maybe it's deliberately excluded for some reason, but the "Ask The Experts" forum is not in the Forums list on the Overview page, and the only way I can get there is by entering its page URL - http://www.proz.com/forum/55 - which I have bookmarked.
This is the same situation which originally existed for most people when the "Off Topic" forum was first opened.

Direct link Reply with quote

DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
At the moment it seems to be..... Aug 31, 2003

Jack Doughty wrote:

I'm not sure if this is a fault or not, maybe it's deliberately excluded for some reason, but the "Ask The Experts" forum is not in the Forums list on the Overview page, and the only way I can get there is by entering its page URL - http://www.proz.com/forum/55 - which I have bookmarked.
This is the same situation which originally existed for most people when the "Off Topic"
forum was first opened.

....put together with CATtools, CATfight and other such technical gadgets - so the "signposted" route is by clicking "TOOLS" on the main site menu, and then "experts" from the options that appear.
From all this I infer that "ask the experts" is meant to be "ask the CATtool and technical gizmo experts" rather than experts on all kinds of things, as one could be forgiven for assuming.....I must admit I think it's a confusing title because of that(for anyone who meets it in the forums, rather than happening to find it in "[CAT]tools"), and that it would be better to rename it (as above) if it really is meant to be focussed on questions to CATtool experts - otherwise I might post a question there to ask you about Professor Branestaum [corrected to:Branestawm], as an expert in that field:-) (amongst many other fields, of course).
Best wishes (to the undoubted Bard of Barnstable[corrected to:Barnstaple], Bidemouth[correction: is there a Bidemouth, maybe but I was thinking of Bideford -if that is right] and Budleigh?[:I really should have checked my map for these, the West Country should not be trifled with ~])
Giuli

[Edited at 2003-08-31 14:03]

United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Guili Aug 31, 2003

Yes, it does seem confusing.
And since you allocate me the status of Expert, I have to inform you that it is Professor Branestawm, not Branestaum; and that the town in North Devon is Barnstaple, not Barnstable (the latter is in the USA and Barnstaple is twinned with it).

United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
written in haste, I fear Aug 31, 2003

Jack Doughty wrote:

Yes, it does seem confusing.
And since you allocate me the status of Expert, I have to inform you that it is Professor Branestawm, not Branestaum; and that the town in North Devon is Barnstaple, not Barnstable (the latter is in the USA and Barnstaple is twinned with it).

I'm doubly indebted to you for your wise advice (I shall be in trouble if I visit Barnstaple, although I suspect the professor, like Bill Shakespeare, would be broadminded about the other slip...I'm told he's a nice genius, and very tolerant of variety...).

- I repent for my cavalier treatment of the names of prof.& town...

[Edited at 2003-08-31 13:28]

United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You probably meant Bideford Aug 31, 2003

Bideford is a little way along the coast from Barnstaple. I have never heard of Bidemouth (which is no guarantee that it doesn't exist, of course) nor of Budleigh (likewise), but Chudleigh and Bickleigh both exist so maybe you made a composite name of those two.

United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
Poetry and geography (mythical & real) Sep 1, 2003

Jack Doughty wrote:

Bideford is a little way along the coast from Barnstaple. I have never heard of Bidemouth (which is no guarantee that it doesn't exist, of course)

You are very kind (but I haven't heard of Bidemouth either:-).....perhaps in some secret Exmoor valley...) There is a Budmouth mentioned in Thomas Hardy, but that's no use - it's across the border, in Dorset...).

nor of Budleigh (likewise),

Ah, now Budleigh exists in East Devon
Budleigh Salterton Diary
... Welcome to the Budleigh Diary, the community magazine and website for. Budleigh Salterton, Bicton, East Budleigh, ...
www.budleighdiary.co.uk

but Chudleigh and Bickleigh both exist so maybe you made a composite name of those two.

Bickleigh would be a good 'B' to go with bard, thank you.

This reminds me of the story I was told in mid Wales, about how (long ago) the Ordnance Survey (the excellent official UK map makers) sent English speaking surveyors to record local details and place names for their maps of mid Wales, and they often recorded a certain very popular Welsh name for houses standing alone in the hills - probably because the occupants were away and the surveyors wrote down the name on the gate. At one time, it is said, the maps showed many lonely houses as bearing this magnificent sounding Welsh name...which in English means,"beware of the dog".
I hope it's a true story.....

Devon is very beautiful....

[Edited at 2003-09-01 09:10]

United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interstellar translation Sep 1, 2003

This started as an on-topic theme but it's getting more and more off-topic as it goes along...

Your tale reminds me of a science fiction story I once read, about a ruined civilisation on a distant planet, where only one example of the writing was ever found, in an open place between where buildings had been.
After years of work by cryptographers and thousands of computer hours, they finally came up with the translation. It read:
"KEEP OFF THE GRASS".

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 12:49
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
May I continue? Sep 1, 2003

(You're right, it's really off topic, should we move?)

In my first Finnish course, the teacher gave us a calendar with Finnish names and asked us to choose a name. For me the biggest problem was that I didn't know whether they were feminine or masculine, and I chose a long one, wondering. Then she asked us what we had chosen. When I said mine she started laughing, I said "my name is Shrove Tuesday (Mardi Gras)".

United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Einbahnstraße Sep 1, 2003

Claudia, your tale reminds me of a colleague of mine when I was in the RAF in Germany, who told a story about a friend of his, who, when they were driving round Berlin together, wondered why so many streets had the same name - Einbahnstraße. (It means "One Way Street").

And if you wish to extend the boundaries of your empire by moving this topic there, it's OK by me - but you ought to give it a new title, I think.

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 12:49
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Moving to the Off-Topic forum Sep 1, 2003

where this will remain as evidence that Jack once worried about the "Ask the experts" forum, and how an on topic topic can become completely off topic.

What do you suggest for title?

United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One suggestion Sep 1, 2003

How about "Expertly Deviated from On-Topic to Off"?

But maybe you or Giuli can come up with a better idea.

NatalieD
French
+ ...
cul-de-sac Sep 1, 2003

Jack Doughty wrote:

Claudia, your tale reminds me of a colleague of mine when I was in the RAF in Germany, who told a story about a friend of his, who, when they were driving round Berlin together, wondered why so many streets had the same name - Einbahnstraße. (It means "One Way Street").

I had a friend who wondered the same thing about "cul-de-sac" and he was even more confused because he thought he knew what "cul" meant...

Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:49
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
one-way streets and cul-de-sacs Sep 2, 2003

Well, since we're on the subject....
My brother came to visit me here in Italy and came back from a shop, delighted with his new vase (I live fairly close to Deruta, famed for its pottery).
He was doubly pleased because the artist's name was on the bottom: Dipinto A Mano.
What a disappointment for him to learn that "dipinto a mano" means "hand-painted".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Expertly Deviated from On-Topic to Off

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs