Mobile menu

Off topic: Aphorism or joke?
Thread poster: Francesco Barbuto

Francesco Barbuto  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:11
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 19, 2003

A man best quality is the courage to have fear, the fear to have courage his worst.

Cross Reference: Aforisma o Burla?

Cheers,

FFB

[Edited at 2003-09-19 10:57]

[Edited at 2003-09-19 11:07]

Direct link Reply with quote

DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:11
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
Oh dear, both in my case Sep 19, 2003

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
an aphorism Sep 19, 2003

... and a great one! should be taken seriously, never a joke to me

English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Glad... Sep 20, 2003

Xola wrote:

United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
Joke & aphorism Sep 20, 2003

Francesco Barbuto wrote:

Xola wrote:

Ah yes, but something can be a joke (in the sense of being clever and making one smile or laugh) and contain wisdom at the same time - it's true that the expression "something is a joke" is sometimes used to mean 'something is worthless', but in general something being funny doesn't stop there being a serious message too - which is how I feel about this one. I laugh and take it seriously, at the same time (or alternately)

Best wishes
Giuli

~Eng Russ Geo~

[Edited at 2003-09-20 15:32]

Germany
English to Turkish
"Something is a joke" Sep 20, 2003

Ah yes, but something can be a joke (in the sense of being clever and making one smile or laugh) and contain wisdom at the same time - it's true that the expression "something is a joke" is sometimes used to mean 'something is worthless', but in general something being funny doesn't stop there being a serious message too - which is how I feel about this one. I laugh and take it seriously, at the same time (or alternately)

Best wishes
Giuli

~Eng Russ Geo~

was the sense I took it in -but quite on purpose, of course- when I said "never a joke to me". Oh well, otherwise jokes are among the most serious things in human experience, who doesn't know that?!

Lesley Clayton
France
French to English
+ ...
Many a true word is spoken in jest Sep 20, 2003

An English saying.

English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much to you all! Sep 20, 2003

You just picked up the right message, just the I one I was scrambling to convey.

So ni ce to be in such a good fellowship.
(Is it fellowship the right word? Not, a joke, really!

FFB

United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
Xola, I am all apologies :-))) Sep 20, 2003

[quote]Dr. Giuli Kvrivishvili wrote:

Xola wrote:

Best wishes
Giuli

~Eng Russ Geo~

was the sense I took it in -but quite on purpose, of course- when I said "never a joke to me". Oh well, otherwise jokes are among the most serious things in human experience, who doesn't know that?!

I foolishly took you completely seriously - and your smilicon was winking at me all the time - my only excuse is that I was looking at it in my serious alternate moment (or perhaps my eyes were playing a joke on me...)

Germany
English to Turkish
Heeeyyy, ohh pleeeaseeee !!! Sep 20, 2003

quote]
I foolishly took you completely seriously - and your smilicon was winking at me all the time - my only excuse is that I was looking at it in my serious alternate moment

[Edited at 2003-09-20 21:51][/quote]

There's nothing to apologize for! It's just a joke, no it's serious, I mean hence it's serious, but... no harm, or whatsoever done that needs apology. Really. Please, don't make me blush! It's all about... having some fun... 's all!... And you were in no way being foolish or anything.

United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
:-))) Sep 21, 2003

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Aphorism or joke?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs