Mobile menu

Off topic: Language capacity test
Thread poster: Jennifer Callahan

Jennifer Callahan  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 22, 2003

About 10 years ago I had a test for learners to measure their capacity for learning foreign languages. It had questions like "In 2 minutes think of all the things you can do with a cabbage, beside cooking it and eating it".

Does anyone remember this test? Does anyone know where I can find a copy of it?

Direct link Reply with quote

Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:19
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
TMA assessment Sep 23, 2003

Maybe you were thinking of the TMA test?
The TMA assessment, a mental ability test from Pearson Reid London House, helps measure an individual's ability to learn new skills quickly, adjust to new situations, understand complex or subtle relationships and be flexible in thinking.

The TMA test assesses an individual's capacity to learn and understand the requirements of the job. The test consists of two scales:
Quantitative: Items consist of arithmetic reasoning and number-series problems.
Linguistic: Items consist of same-opposite word meanings and definitions.

Local time: 21:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
some info. Sep 23, 2003

Hi Jennifer,

I know the test you have in mind. There is an adaptation of it in the "Orientation" section of the Headway Advanced student's book (ISBN 0 19 433563 1). It apparently appeared in The Sunday Times Magazine at one time, and a note at the end says "Adapted from a quiz by Dr. Paul Meara of Birkbeck College, London."

I found this info:

Language Aptitude Tests Paul Meara, James Milton and Nuria Lorenzo-Dus
This pack is designed for training managers in business or industry, for school teachers and owners, or for anyone else who needs to know whether their staff, students or clients are likely to be good at learning foreign languages.

What the tests do

Language aptitude tests assess whether a person has the intellectual capability to learn a foreign language successfully. People who score well on these tests are likely to do well in learning languages, provided that the time and opportunity are given them and that they have the motivation to

I don't know if this pack of tests contains the exact one you've asked about, but you might be able to contact the publishers to find out.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Language capacity test

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs