Linguistic help wanted on a " Tysonic " matter (*sensitive*)
Thread poster: CHENOUMI (X)
CHENOUMI (X)
CHENOUMI (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Sep 29, 2003

-----------
You have been sent a message via your ProZ.com page.
-----------

Hey there. You are a very good translator and were extremely helpful. I wanted to know if you could do me a big favor and translate:

I've moved away, but I still want to be with you. I think about you all the time and I really miss you. I'm willing to put everything behind us and start over new. I stil love you and you are the only one I want to be with. I miss every part of you esp
... See more
-----------
-----------

Hey there. You are a very good translator and were extremely helpful. I wanted to know if you could do me a big favor and translate:

I've moved away, but I still want to be with you. I think about you all the time and I really miss you. I'm willing to put everything behind us and start over new. I stil love you and you are the only one I want to be with. I miss every part of you especially **Tyson**. Call me when you get this message. Love
-------------------------------

I first thought of a person, since the name is capitalized, but I wonder why the sentence would be phrased that way. Is it a slang for what I'm thinking of?

I've already searched for contextual references and examples of usage for "Tyson" with "that" connotation - including the slang web sites that Rita provided us with - to no avail.

Unless there is no occurrence of usage in US or British English at all, I'm strongly inclined to believe that "Tyson" is not a person here, but... "it", the real part, personified.

Awaiting your take on it,
Sandra
Collapse

Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
you're probably right Sep 29, 2003

CHENOUMI wrote:

-----------
-----------

I've moved away, but I still want to be with you. I think about you all the time and I really miss you. I'm willing to put everything behind us and start over new. I stil love you and you are the only one I want to be with. I miss every part of you especially **Tyson**. Call me when you get this message. Love
-------------------------------

I first thought of a person, since the name is capitalized, but I wonder why the sentence would be phrased that way. Is it a slang for what I'm thinking of?

I've already searched for contextual references and examples of usage for "Tyson" with "that" connotation - including the slang web sites that Rita provided us with - to no avail.

Unless there is no occurrence of usage in US or British English at all, I'm strongly inclined to believe that "Tyson" is not a person here, but... "it", the real part, personified.

Awaiting your take on it,
Sandra

I am guessing this is a reference to boxer Mike Tyson. He is known for being the feisty, trouble making kind...

Either that, or it's the name of someone's dog/cat/parrot...but I doubt it

Has anyone else noticed this site is being used increasingly to mediate in multilingual matters of the heart?

Cheers,

Susana Galilea
Accredited Translator, EUTI
[email protected]
www.accentonspanish.com

P.S. On the other hand, if you're doing this as a favor for someone you don't even know, I can't see why you would want to waste any time trying to figure out his/her meaning. Couldn't you just ask the person (discretely)?

[Edited at 2003-10-31 22:19]

CHENOUMI (X)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hola Susana, :) Sep 29, 2003

Susana Galilea wrote:

P.S. On the other hand, if you're doing this as a favor for someone you don't even know, I can't see why you would want to waste any time trying to figure out his/her meaning. Couldn't you just ask the person (discretely)?

I was not interested in doing the favor at all, you know me. Then, "Tyson" became a translation challenge for me. Third, I didn't want to look stupid to her, by asking the question...
I finally braced myself last week to inquire more about it, but with my Compuserve ordeal, (still unresolved), I'm yet to receive a clarification.

P.S. The linguistic clues that I got from the sentence: "I miss every part of you especially Tyson.[/b]", coupled with my basic hunch - woman intuition - tell me that it is highly unlikely that another woman, in this particular context of romantic plea, would be sorely missing her partner's "dog, cat or parrot"..., more so than himself...

Regards,

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:50
Danish to English
+ ...
Tyson Sep 30, 2003

I would leave that name as is. In that sentence it appears to be a sexual reference. Some People give strange names to sex or sex organs, here obviously with a bite to it.

T_Herrmann (X)
T_Herrmann (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:50
German to English
+ ...
Think he's got a little boxing "Mike"? ;-) Sep 30, 2003

BLANGSTED wrote:

I would leave that name as is. In that sentence it appears to be a sexual reference. Some People give strange names to sex or sex organs, here obviously with a bite to it.

Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
you'd be amazed... Sep 30, 2003

CHENOUMI wrote:
P.S. The linguistic clues that I got from the sentence: "I miss every part of you especially Tyson.[/b]", coupled with my basic hunch - woman intuition - tell me that it is highly unlikely that another woman, in this particular context of romantic plea, would be sorely missing her partner's "dog, cat or parrot"..., more so than himself...

Hola Sandra,

Actually, that was a joke...although you'd be amazed how many people end up missing their ex's pet(s) more than their ex

Not in this case, obviously...

Are we being frivolouZ yet?

Cheers,

S.G.

[Edited at 2003-10-31 22:19]

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Please use KudoZ area Sep 30, 2003

Sandra,
this question should be asked in the KudoZ area which is specially designed for the purpose. I'm sure you will get a lot of repsonses from English Mono community.

Thanks,
Magda

CHENOUMI (X)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The ProZ experience Sep 30, 2003

Susana Galilea wrote:

Hola Sandra,

Actually, that was a joke...although you'd be amazed how many people end up missing their ex's pet(s) more than their ex

Are we being frivolouZ yet?

Cheers,

Susana, Susana...
I would never thought 1 year ago, that I could be that frivolouZ, but that's part of the ProZ experience... Receiving strange requests, responding to odd queries even if it takes us to a special boxing ring.

What a way to celebrate St Jerome's day! With a Tysonic twist.

Happy St Jerome's Day!

CHENOUMI (X)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So I was right then... Sep 30, 2003

BLANGSTED wrote:

Thanks for your input, Blangsted. Come to think of it, you're probably right too. I still don't get any confirmation from native speakers as to whether the name is a slang word or simply an affectionate nickname given to Sir Tyson.

Lorenzo Lilli
Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
matters of the heart Sep 30, 2003

Susana Galilea wrote:

Has anyone else noticed this site is being used increasingly to mediate in multilingual matters of the heart?

[Edited at 2003-09-29 23:45]

Yep, definitely!

Borana Moisiu
Borana Moisiu
Albania
English to Albanian
+ ...
Agree with Blangsted Sep 30, 2003

I would leave it as it is. I think it is a proper name that only those two individuals know between them. Good luck,
Borana

BLANGSTED wrote:

LinguaText (X)
LinguaText (X)
English to Chinese
+ ...
simple-minded and sexual reference Sep 30, 2003

in some sense, but you like his courage and skill, which I can tell. Good wishes to little "Mike" and yourself and let's celebrate the holiday. will be moving, but keep in touch.
CHENOUMI wrote:

BLANGSTED wrote:

Thanks for your input, Blangsted. Come to think of it, you're probably right too. I still don't get any confirmation from native speakers as to whether the name is a slang word or simply an affectionate nickname given to Sir Tyson.

CHENOUMI (X)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No more doubt. Oct 4, 2003

It was a name for something of his !!!

From the Tyson-deprived lady, herself!

So it was, a matter
By women
For women
Well done ladies!

[Edited at 2003-10-04 20:43]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Linguistic help wanted on a " Tysonic " matter (*sensitive*)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »