Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >
Off topic: Happy International Translation Day!!
Thread poster: José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)
José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)
José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 30, 2003

[Edited at 2003-09-30 21:16]

Subhamay Ray (X)
Subhamay Ray (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:52
English to Bengali
+ ...
Bravo! Sep 30, 2003

This is soul-stirring! Many thanks, José!

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 06:22
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
Awesome, dear Jose Sep 30, 2003

Thank you very much!

Subhamay Ray wrote:

This is soul-stirring! Many thanks, José!

Ludmila Kare
Ludmila Kare
Local time: 14:22
English to Russian
+ ...
Nice done! Sep 30, 2003

Thank you, José! It is really nice done!
I start feeling great- it is my day,too!

Jérôme Haushalter
Jérôme Haushalter
France
Local time: 12:22
English to French
+ ...
It's nice to have so many supporters!! :D Sep 30, 2003

I didn't choose my name, but I like the match!

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
I wonder... Sep 30, 2003

Why is Saint Jerome so worried?

Because he cannot find "the" word he is looking for?

Because 1,650 years more are necessary for proz to be born?

Because he knows that Frost will some day say that "It is Poetry that is lost in translation"? (in that case, what is lost in the Bible translation?...)

Because Vulgata.doc has a virus?...
See more
Why is Saint Jerome so worried?

Because he cannot find "the" word he is looking for?

Because 1,650 years more are necessary for proz to be born?

Because he knows that Frost will some day say that "It is Poetry that is lost in translation"? (in that case, what is lost in the Bible translation?...)

Because Vulgata.doc has a virus?

Cheer up, Saint Jerome, all your descendants have come to say Hi! Besides, the world still needs us! (relief face...)

Happy day, dear colleagues of the world!

Au

[Edited at 2003-09-30 08:00]
Collapse

Camilla Larsen
Camilla Larsen
Norway
Send a greeting Sep 30, 2003

Why not send your colleagues a nice greeting on our day? I've just found the perfect card)

http://www.123greetings.com/business/in_office_relationships/office2.html

Ouadoud
Ouadoud  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:22
English to Arabic
+ ...
Something should be reviewed Sep 30, 2003

Dear José,

With all the sincere respect I owe you, your beliefs and the Saint you introduced, I wanted to remind you that this is an International Multiconfessional community. One of our major concerns is translations: e.g explaining the same text in a different language..

There are jewish, muslim, buddhist, animist atheist and so on translators.. who probably would not appreciate the correlation of a Translation Day with a religious figure (Translation of the Bible)
... See more
Dear José,

With all the sincere respect I owe you, your beliefs and the Saint you introduced, I wanted to remind you that this is an International Multiconfessional community. One of our major concerns is translations: e.g explaining the same text in a different language..

There are jewish, muslim, buddhist, animist atheist and so on translators.. who probably would not appreciate the correlation of a Translation Day with a religious figure (Translation of the Bible) proper to a certain community in the world.

I wouldn't have sent this opinion if I didn't see the logo in the first page of Proz.com.

So unless this is going to be a Christian Club (as some European leaders suggested for the EEC) the idea should be reviewed.

Best friendly regards and best wishes to all the translators in the world.
Abdelouadoud El Omrani

[Edited at 2003-09-30 11:02]
Collapse

Pamela Peralta
Pamela Peralta  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 06:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
Let's Party!!! Sep 30, 2003

At least in my heart I'll be celebrating this day. It's 5:56 am, while we're waiting for the school van to come pick up Pammy (my duaghter)I log in ProZ and see Saint Jerome, Pammy says "isn't that the same guy I saw in a folder you have?" I told her that today was my day, translator's day, and she hugged me
It's a nice way to start the day.

Happy translator's day to all of you, my colleagues...
See more
At least in my heart I'll be celebrating this day. It's 5:56 am, while we're waiting for the school van to come pick up Pammy (my duaghter)I log in ProZ and see Saint Jerome, Pammy says "isn't that the same guy I saw in a folder you have?" I told her that today was my day, translator's day, and she hugged me
It's a nice way to start the day.

Happy translator's day to all of you, my colleagues

Pamela
Collapse

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:52
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Reference to Christianity is just incidental Sep 30, 2003

Eusebius Hieronymus Sophronius, better known as Jerome is considered to be a master translator. His being a Christian is only an historical accident. I, Narasimhan Raghavan, a devout Hindu, join all the colleagues in saluting this great man.
A small tangential remark may kindly permitted at this moment. In one of his books, Isaac Asimov mentions his visit to a museum in Spain along with his friends. Here he came across a bible translated from Hebrew by the Spanish jews. Out of curiosity, h
... See more
Eusebius Hieronymus Sophronius, better known as Jerome is considered to be a master translator. His being a Christian is only an historical accident. I, Narasimhan Raghavan, a devout Hindu, join all the colleagues in saluting this great man.
A small tangential remark may kindly permitted at this moment. In one of his books, Isaac Asimov mentions his visit to a museum in Spain along with his friends. Here he came across a bible translated from Hebrew by the Spanish jews. Out of curiosity, he leafed through it and came across the prophecy, which claimed that an almah will give birth to the Messiah. Almah in Hebrew (or Aramic, I forget) means a young girl. It seemed to him that this word almah was erroneously translated as virgin. The Spanish Jews dared not put in the correct word in their translation and they just left almah as it is. In the words of Asimov, he started explaining this excitedly to his friends and his voice reached the window pane shattering level.
I would like to get the inputs from the esteemed Proz colleagues in this matter.
Collapse

anima31 (X)
anima31 (X)
English to Croatian
+ ...
happy happy day to all ! Sep 30, 2003

Thank you very much for the story

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
As for me Sep 30, 2003

I'll stick with Kumarajiva.

"Kumarajiva's achievement in Buddhist scriptures translation is tremendous. He was the first one who systematically translated from Sanskrit into Chinese, the Mahayana Buddhist scriptures."

"Before Kumarajiva, there have had several hundred sutras translated into Chinese. However, the profound doctrine of Buddhism was not yet transmitted, as the Chinese translators did not fully and truly understand what the Buddha taught. The situation chang
... See more

"Kumarajiva's achievement in Buddhist scriptures translation is tremendous. He was the first one who systematically translated from Sanskrit into Chinese, the Mahayana Buddhist scriptures."

"Before Kumarajiva, there have had several hundred sutras translated into Chinese. However, the profound doctrine of Buddhism was not yet transmitted, as the Chinese translators did not fully and truly understand what the Buddha taught. The situation changed when Kumarajiva started his translation works in China."

"His translation was distinctive, possessing a flowing smoothness that reflects his prioritization on the conveyance of the meaning as opposed to precise literal rendering. Because of this, his renderings of seminal Mahayana texts have often remained more popular than later, more exact translations"

From another point of view.
Collapse

Betty Revelioti
Betty Revelioti
Greece
Local time: 13:22
Member (2003)
English to Greek
+ ...
Happy Translation Day Sep 30, 2003

Dear colleagues of the world, Happy Internationa Translation Day...!!!

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
'multi-faith', not without faith Sep 30, 2003

lien wrote:

Thank you!

There is a difference between 'multi-faith' and 'anti' faith or concealing faith.

I regard Pentecost as another translators' day - when Jesus's disciples were inspired by the Holy Spirit to speak languages that were foreign to them, so that all their listeners could hear the message in their mother tongues.

One of my favourite, more modern 'saints' is William Carey, a shoemaker by trade, who translated the Bible into Indian languages.

Please let us respect each other's beliefs, and not necessarily conceal our own - because that is real freedom and tolerance.

It is also the real essence of translation - bridging the gulfs between cultures and sharing different ways of understanding truth, not simply juggling with words.

I'd love to hear when translators of other faiths have specially inspiring days like this.

Dyran Altenburg (X)
Dyran Altenburg (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
Imposition is not respect Sep 30, 2003

CRAndersen wrote:
It is also the real essence of translation - bridging the gulfs between cultures and sharing different ways of understanding truth, not simply juggling with words.

Exactly.

So why impose a saint figure as representing us all when it's certainly not that way?

FWIW, I have submitted a support request asking ProZ to reconsider and use a different image on the front page.

[Edited at 2003-09-30 13:48]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Happy International Translation Day!!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »