Off topic: Pet Passport / Travel UK - Continental Europe
Thread poster: Wenke Geddert

Wenke Geddert  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:47
English to German
+ ...
Oct 10, 2003

Having started with my Pet Passport documentation for my 12-month-old Maltese toy dog, I wonder whether there are colleagues with experience in the field of "travelling with pets". Although I am familiar with the theory (DEFRA website, formalities, etc. etc.) I have just found out that, although it's no problem to take the dog OUT from the UK to mainland Europe, it's a problem to bring the little darling BACK into the UK. Apparently, as she only weighs 3.5kg, I can take her with me in the cabin (Lufthansa) to fly out, but to bring her back means checking her in to Cargo. Cost ca. €500 (regardless of size or weight of the dog). This, i.e. the procedure as well as cost, totally amazes me... Anyone with experience? What do you do? If you don't want to follow the tread here, please feel free to contact me on my personal email address. Very grateful for your comments. With thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:47
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Hi Wenke Oct 10, 2003

Formalities depend on the country where you're going, they can differ a lot. Some have a sort of quarantine if the pet hasn't all the documents it should have. The Embassy should be able to give you all the details.

Usually the travelling conditions don't depend on the country but on the airline, and the limit between cabin and cargo is around 6-7 kilograms. The Airline should answer to your questions.

My experience is: a big cat (7 kg) from the Dominican Republic to France and then to Chile. It couldn't travel in cabin, I had to pay as if it was an extra luggage, about US$100. It was quite easy to bring it into France, but Chile asked for an incredible quantity of formalities. At the end it was even funny, because they (in the airline desktop, or Health control) looked at all the papers, documents, signatures, and nobody looked at the animal, it could have been a little tiger, nobody would have noticed.

Wenke Geddert  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:47
English to German
+ ...
Bureaucracy Oct 11, 2003

Thanks Claudia for your response. The story you mentioned made me laugh, it just shows you how much bureaucracy is involved in the whole process... I will continue to look into details, by contacting both DEFRA and the respective airlines. I think with a view to the latter, I need to get through to the next management layer, as every time I phoned (ca. 10 times) I was given a different response. Thanks again, and I am still looking forward to hearing from other people who have successfully managed to bring their pets back into the UK.

Lesley Clayton
Local time: 13:47
French to English
+ ...
Try this forum Oct 11, 2003
and scroll down to the Pets Passports thread.

Although most of the people on that forum are toing and froing between France and England, I know there are people who have travelled with their pets from other countries.

Hope it helps

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pet Passport / Travel UK - Continental Europe

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs