Off topic: What do you miss the most right now?
Thread poster: Borana Moisiu
Borana Moisiu
Borana Moisiu
Albania
Local time: 22:58
English to Albanian
+ ...
Oct 14, 2003

Is there anything at all that you miss right now? Do you feel like you are overloaded with work and other things and that you miss doing or having something else (that you might not do or have it right now)?

I think it is time for us to share these feelings. I already feel like at home here at ProZ.com, and I enjoy these kind of talks with friends.

Starting with me, what I miss the most is the beach and its aroma. I was born and raised in a city near to the beach and I
... See more
Is there anything at all that you miss right now? Do you feel like you are overloaded with work and other things and that you miss doing or having something else (that you might not do or have it right now)?

I think it is time for us to share these feelings. I already feel like at home here at ProZ.com, and I enjoy these kind of talks with friends.

Starting with me, what I miss the most is the beach and its aroma. I was born and raised in a city near to the beach and I used to go there a lot, or just feel its aroma from home. Now, working so much, and furthermore, living in a different place, it has been impossible for me to go there and have fun. And I really miss the sea's aroma that feels your lungs, soul and mind.
What about you?
Collapse

Kevin Schlottmann
Kevin Schlottmann  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:58
German to English
Similar thoughts Oct 14, 2003

I started re-reading Edward Abbey's classic "Desert Solitaire" last night, and in the first chapter, the protagonist sits outside by a fire and feels the natural world all around him.

Living in New York, I don't get very much of that. I think now that fall is here, I need to take some time and travel north for a few days, go camping maybe.

It is interesting how things like this are often associated with nature (beach, outdoors, etc.)

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
What I miss right now: Oct 14, 2003

Climbing mountains with the spring of heather under my feet. Porridge for breakfast, bacon butties for lunch. Irn Bru to drink. Fresh mussels for supper. Listening to Radio Scotland in the evening. Other people with accents like mine. Reading the Scotsman in the mornings with a cup of real tea. Water so soft you have to rinse your hair twice to get the shampoo out. Horizontal rain. The smell of a peat fire.... Oh, the list goes on!

And do you know what? I'm going home to Scotland fo
... See more
Climbing mountains with the spring of heather under my feet. Porridge for breakfast, bacon butties for lunch. Irn Bru to drink. Fresh mussels for supper. Listening to Radio Scotland in the evening. Other people with accents like mine. Reading the Scotsman in the mornings with a cup of real tea. Water so soft you have to rinse your hair twice to get the shampoo out. Horizontal rain. The smell of a peat fire.... Oh, the list goes on!

And do you know what? I'm going home to Scotland for a week's holiday tomorrow. Yippeee!
Collapse

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:58
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
What do I miss out the most? Oct 14, 2003

Being silly and having a really good laugh about silly things.

Monika

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
a new forum? Oct 14, 2003

the shrink's corner ?

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 15:58
Spanish
+ ...
The shrink's corner Oct 14, 2003

lien wrote:

the shrink\'s corner ?

That\'s actually a very good idea.

What do I miss the most?
Definitely the beach.

Andrea Ali
Andrea Ali  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 17:58
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Indeed! Oct 14, 2003

Caliaa wrote:

lien wrote:

the shrink's corner ?

That's actually a very good idea.

What do I miss the most?
Definitely the beach.

Both of them, but first, how about a month on the beach???

Alexandra Tussing
Alexandra Tussing  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
As they say... Oct 15, 2003

Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most

Marina Capalbo
Marina Capalbo  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
my friends Oct 15, 2003

I've very little time to spend with my friends - they meet every Saturday and Sunday, they organise parties, outings, or weekday lunchbreaks, and I miss 90/95% of these precious moments. Friendship and love are far more important than vile money, but paying my home-loan and buying furniture for my new house is a priority. What a moral dilemma!!!

Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:58
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Sleep Oct 15, 2003

I've been working until 2am every day lately, so I could do with some sleep...

xxx xxx
xxx xxx
The summer! Oct 15, 2003

It is getting much too cold. Brrrrrrr.

Diane

Yuliyana Radoulova
Yuliyana Radoulova
Italian to Bulgarian
+ ...
a glass of red wine with friends Oct 15, 2003

and people talking my language!!!

Not to mention the sea of course....:(

Stephanie Mitchel
Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:58
French to English
The Sea and Cake Oct 16, 2003

1. The sea! I grew up near the coast in Massachusetts and now I live in central Texas and I can't smell the sea. I swim in springs and lakes here when I can, but it's not even close. I see many of you share this longing.

2. Cake! Or, rather, coffee, wine, beer or anything else I can't linger over with friends now that I'm on a strict diet. Horrible.

3. Work! I've just finished a 1.5-year long project for a darling client and now I'm facing the prospect of 'doing the hus
... See more
1. The sea! I grew up near the coast in Massachusetts and now I live in central Texas and I can't smell the sea. I swim in springs and lakes here when I can, but it's not even close. I see many of you share this longing.

2. Cake! Or, rather, coffee, wine, beer or anything else I can't linger over with friends now that I'm on a strict diet. Horrible.

3. Work! I've just finished a 1.5-year long project for a darling client and now I'm facing the prospect of 'doing the hustle' once again.

Let's all breathe deeply and have salt-water dreams.
Collapse

Gayle Wallimann
Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Roots Oct 16, 2003

I miss my US family the most. My brothers, dear sweet Mom, talking late, staying in on a really snowy day lingering over cups of coffee and looking at old pictures or talking about the good old days with my close ones in my own language. I've lived in France for almost 30 years and have only seen my brothers four times during that period.
Have a wonderful trip home, Alison!

[Edited at 2003-10-16 07:43]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do you miss the most right now?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »