Off topic: Any ProZians in the Cape Verde Islands?
Thread poster: Terry Gilman
Terry Gilman
Terry Gilman  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:49
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Oct 26, 2003

I noticed that there are no translators in the directory with Cape Verde as a key word, so perhaps that means there are no Prozians there. But perhaps that's not 100% correct. In November I will be mainly on Sao Nicolau and Sao Antao, and would be interested in hearing from anyone there or who has been there and has any tips about places to go This will be my 2nd visit, certainly not the last. I should say in advance that my Portuguese is feeble (Spanish based), and that's not the local language... See more
I noticed that there are no translators in the directory with Cape Verde as a key word, so perhaps that means there are no Prozians there. But perhaps that's not 100% correct. In November I will be mainly on Sao Nicolau and Sao Antao, and would be interested in hearing from anyone there or who has been there and has any tips about places to go This will be my 2nd visit, certainly not the last. I should say in advance that my Portuguese is feeble (Spanish based), and that's not the local language anyway.
MTIA
Terry
Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:49
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Cesaria Evora Oct 27, 2003

Unfortunatedly, Cesaria Evora won't be around there. I adore her music. I image you, Terry, around the beaches, or the town, listening her marvelous songs...

For those who don't know her, just take a look at http://www.cesaria-evora.com/

Regards,
Clarisa

[Edited at 2003-10-27 02:36]

Camaxilo
Camaxilo  Identity Verified
English to Portuguese
+ ...
CverdeanProzians out of CV. Nov 1, 2003

Terry Gilman wrote:

I noticed that there are no translators in the directory with Cape Verde as a key word, so perhaps that means there are no Prozians there. But perhaps that's not 100% correct. In November I will be mainly on Sao Nicolau and Sao Antao, and would be interested in hearing from anyone there or who has been there and has any tips about places to go This will be my 2nd visit, certainly not the last. I should say in advance that my Portuguese is feeble (Spanish based), and that's not the local language anyway.
MTIA
Terry

[Edited at 2003-11-01 12:21]

Camaxilo
Camaxilo  Identity Verified
English to Portuguese
+ ...
CapeVerdean Prozians out of CV. Nov 1, 2003

Hi Terry,

You won't have much of a trouble in CV as long as you are fluent in one major language.You will find that people are willing to go out of their way to help you out and welcome you to the islands.The government of CV spends well over 30 % of their budget on Education. The population speak CV Creole, which is a mixture of languages with its major basis on Portuguese. In it we have a salad of Spanish, French, English, German, Arabic, african dialects etc.You will find that m
... See more
Hi Terry,

You won't have much of a trouble in CV as long as you are fluent in one major language.You will find that people are willing to go out of their way to help you out and welcome you to the islands.The government of CV spends well over 30 % of their budget on Education. The population speak CV Creole, which is a mixture of languages with its major basis on Portuguese. In it we have a salad of Spanish, French, English, German, Arabic, african dialects etc.You will find that most of the people, especially the newer generation will speak at least english, besides Creole and Portuguese; another great portion will speak French and a lesser group will speak some German and Dutch. Cape Verde belongs to the Francophone society. I am from Fogo island, grew up in the San Tiago island, in the capital and left the country in late sixties to go to the army in Angola and Mozambique. I immigrated to the United States in 1976 and live in Orlando Florida.I am sure you will enjoy the islands and its beautiful warm waters and sunny beaches with windy breezes.If you get a chance visit S. Vicente island and the capital Praia in S. Tiago island.I noticed that you are going in Santo Antao, hence you definetly will be touching down in S. Vicente. Try to spend sometime there. You won't regret it.
And you also will find out that there are lots of foregneirs in CV these days. So bring your travelang dictionaries...
I don't know your nationality, however it doesn't matter. It is irrelevant in CV. Whether one comes from Zimbahbue or from Germany, every one is absolutely welcome! You maybe a CVerdean jus sanguinis or whatever! We in Cverde feel like we are from the world, which we are; in that sense we think:"Nous sommes des citroyens du monde." Enjoy your days at the beach, your afternoon at the cafes, your evenings at the restaurants and late eve in boites...fun will be in the air. Have a good trip and don't forget the camera.

Perhaps you should find out if there are Cverdean embassies in the are in Europe and ask for directions. I am sure they should have informative pamphlets and the like to help tourists to find their way around the island:

Auf Wiedersehen!

Bon Voyage!

Manny

"
http://www.helplinedatabase.com/embassy-database/country-in-other-countries/cape-verde.html"
Collapse

Terry Gilman
Terry Gilman  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:49
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you both for your replies Nov 24, 2003

It was a terrific vacation, great people, and about 1/3 each beachcombing, easy walks, and strenuous walks.

This was my second visit to CVI (or ICV). First was in 1997 for 2 weeks incl. Sal (Espargos only), Santiago (Praia, Tarrafal, Assomada), Sao Vincente/Mindelo, and Sao Antao/R. Grande + Paul.

This time we spent 3 weeks, first hopping from Sal to Boa Vista (Pension Sossego in Sal Rei), then Sao Nicolau, Sao Vincente, and Sao Antao (incl. Tarrafal de Monte Trigo + R
... See more
It was a terrific vacation, great people, and about 1/3 each beachcombing, easy walks, and strenuous walks.

This was my second visit to CVI (or ICV). First was in 1997 for 2 weeks incl. Sal (Espargos only), Santiago (Praia, Tarrafal, Assomada), Sao Vincente/Mindelo, and Sao Antao/R. Grande + Paul.

This time we spent 3 weeks, first hopping from Sal to Boa Vista (Pension Sossego in Sal Rei), then Sao Nicolau, Sao Vincente, and Sao Antao (incl. Tarrafal de Monte Trigo + R. Grande).

Best all-round www site on hiking (German, Portuguese, and English) by a German-CaboVerde couple:

http://www.cabo-verde.bela-vista.net/index.htm

Another is caboverde24 (but it is said to contain some nutty or outright wrong information in its forum).

A French group has evidently recently published a sort-of dictionary of CV lore, i.e., on the demise of Ceris, the local micro-brewery, and the various creole dialects (which are also discussed in a short column in one of the weekly newspapers).

All the best,
Terry
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any ProZians in the Cape Verde Islands?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »