Direct link Reply with quote

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:13
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
How did they do it? Nov 2, 2003

I too found it fascinating (thanks, Caliaa!).
I have no idea myself how it's done, but I sent it to a friend of mine and this was his reply:

Yeouch! I don't know if you are up on `Chaos Theory' and Mandelbrot Equations and things, but I used to have a programme - which this reminds me of - where by feeding in certain equations you could use the computer to generate beautiful `fractal' images and then continue zooming in presumably forever. I remember trying it out one evening and winding up when the programme told me the image I had on the screen had come from the first which now - due to the magnification - was larger than the orbit of Mars!

The same of course would hold for that picture if you keep going in far enough! And it could have been a more interesting picture too!

Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:13
German to English
+ ...
I found it quite Nov 2, 2003

Agnieszka Hayward
Local time: 05:13
German to Polish
+ ...
uuuuuaha Nov 3, 2003

don't do that to me... my little brain now rattles in the huge skull... ouch!

sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:13
English to French
Some basic explanations Nov 3, 2003

If you look at the file format, you will see it's a Flash file. Flash typically use a sequence of images, very much like a regular movie:

You have a time line and pictures (called "frames") appear and disapear successively, as time passes. The main difficulty here is to create a set of matching pictures. In fact you are just looking at a movie, except that it uses an endlessly repeting patern, on the center.

A fractal's behaviour (for the little I know about it) duplicate a certain shape ad infinitum to form an image. See for examples.

You will note also a very nice moving fractal made with 16 frames.

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:43
English to Tamil
+ ...
Place yourself between 2 mirrors Nov 3, 2003

Put two plane mirrors facing each other. Place yourself between them. This happens in a hairdresser's saloon. Then you can see the infinite rows of mirrors inside mirrors. I cannot remember the name of the phenomenon given by our physics lecturer. Imagine yourself going into the mirrors. You will get the same sensation given by the reference in this thread.

[Edited at 2003-11-03 15:12]

Patricia Posadas  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:13
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I'm dizzy! Nov 3, 2003

Great! The last thing I thought about was how they ahd done that! I like to belive in MAGIC!

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:13
Partial member
+ ...
Fractals Nov 3, 2003

There was a book I used to read when I was a child. In it, there was a whole chapter about fractals. I was absolutely fascinated but those beautiful shapes.

I barely remember the theory -- I'm terrible at Physics, but I do remember that they are everywhere in nature: the shape of the waves, the growing of some plants, DNA, clouds, mold, etc.

Here are more web sites about fractals:

Cheers to everyone

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wanna get dizzy?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs