Thread poster: patyjs
patyjs
patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 9, 2010

My favorite search engine, dogpile.com, has suddenly disappeared. I've had it as my default engine for ages but since last week IE has been unable to find it. I've tried on another computer, too, without success.

Anyone know anything about it?

thanks

RichardDeegan
RichardDeegan
Local time: 23:05
Spanish to English
They might not have paid Big Bill off Jan 9, 2010

Shows in Opera and Mozilla (Go Fetch)

patyjs
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But does the page load? Jan 10, 2010

I downloaded Opera and Dogpile still doesn't load.

I can't be the only one who uses this search engine....

Someone must know what happened...

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:05
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Works fine here! Jan 10, 2010

It was the first time I used Dogpile and it has worked very nicely with Google Chrome and Internet Explorer, so let's put an end to the conspiracy theory!

Now, to me this looks like some problem with your computer finding Dogpile's domain. Something you can easily check is whether the domain is accessible from your computer at all. If you use Windows, use Start > Run, enter cmd and press Enter. This opens a command li
... See more
It was the first time I used Dogpile and it has worked very nicely with Google Chrome and Internet Explorer, so let's put an end to the conspiracy theory!

Now, to me this looks like some problem with your computer finding Dogpile's domain. Something you can easily check is whether the domain is accessible from your computer at all. If you use Windows, use Start > Run, enter cmd and press Enter. This opens a command line window. Write:
ping dogpile.com

and press Enter.

If you get a message saying that your computer cannot find the domain, it means that your computer (in general, not just the browsers) cannot see Dogpile.com. Now, if your computer does not see the domain name, we can rule out DNS server problem by pinging Dogpile's IP address. You can type:
ping 67.63.50.147

and press Enter.

If you see a repeated message about a timeout problem for your request, it means that for some reason your ISP has no access to Dogpile.com. You might want to ask them.

If after pinging the IP address you do get a series of messages showing response times from the IP address pinged, it means that you have a DNS server problem: you are using a DNS server which is not able to convert "dogpile.com" to its corresponding IP address. This could be because Dogpile have changed their IP address and this fact is still not reflected in the DNS server you use. Also in this case, talk to your ISP about it and let them check with you whether your DNS server addresses are correct in your computer's configuration.

Good luck!
Collapse

patyjs
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks...that's it. Jan 10, 2010

Thanks Tomás, that must be it. I pinged it like you said and got the timeout responses. But still, I don't understand why I would have access to the site for years with the same server and then suddenly no access.

Thanks again!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:05
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ask your ISP about their DNS server Jan 10, 2010

patyjs wrote:
Thanks Tomás, that must be it. I pinged it like you said and got the timeout responses. But still, I don't understand why I would have access to the site for years with the same server and then suddenly no access.

Personally I would call your ISP and ask them whether any change took place in their DNS servers (maybe they have changed address and are not available to your computer). Your ISP is definitely the people to ask at this stage then. Good luck!

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
English to Spanish
The reason could be... Jan 10, 2010

patyjs wrote:
...I don't understand why I would have access to the site for years with the same server and then suddenly no access.

Some "actualizashion" (Windows Update) you got recently. Typically, this keeps your PC secure and safe from virus... and sites MS don't like.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What happened to dogpile?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »