Thread poster: Anne Lee

Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:11
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Nov 6, 2003

The only time Belgium seems to grab the headlines in the British press is when someone there does something silly (which is not very often). Mind you, this was about an ex-ambulance driver who managed to resuscitate his koi carp, so it was quite a feat, really. The British never respond the way you want them to. It's no good telling my baker that 'Belgian buns' (sticky rolls) do not exist in Belgium; he won't change the name. But when I was recently interviewed about my translation business by a local radio station, fully prepared as I was with translator's jokes and lists of famous Belgians (, all he wanted to talk about was translations! (The interview was terminated shortly after I asked why the DJ never plays non-English songs on his station.) Maybe other emigrants on this site struggle with the image their motherland has in the country they've moved to.

Direct link Reply with quote

Local time: 08:11
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Canadian bacon Nov 6, 2003

Is it from Canadian pigs ? It's called back bacon here, as opposed to side bacon -- but in England it's known as gammon instead of streaky, and sometimes peameal bacon.
It's cured, lean, delicious -- but is it Canadian ?
And the Canada goose (many of whom are flying above me now, heading South, lucky things)-- does it remain a Canada goose while it swims in warmer waters to the south ?
I spent a couple of years in the UK as a young girl, but the only time I got news of Canada is when that nut job shot up 14 girls at the Polytechnique in Montreal Dec 5 1989, a day observed in these parts for that tragedy.
And we celebrate Thanksgiving here, only 6 weeks sooner than our southern neighbours. I suspect that's so people can travel about to visit their families under colourful foliage rather than the white stuff... brrr

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:11
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Kanadahanhi, yes! Nov 7, 2003

Canadian goose often find their way to Scandinavia and are called kanadahanhi in Finnish. I'm no bird-watcher, though.
The "news" of the fish-rescue was reported here too, in the yellow press at least, I just wonder how it works, because fish have no lungs.
For Finns of course the most outrageous thing are foreign "Finnish" saunas, barely warm and steam-throwing forbidden, sometimes part of brothels!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Man gives fish kiss of life

Advanced search

The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs