Mobile menu

Off topic: Tip: Breaking Caffeine's Spell
Thread poster: Borana Moisiu
Borana Moisiu
Local time: 23:39
English to Albanian
+ ...
Nov 6, 2003

As you can tell, I am a fan of Doctor Weil. By the way, can we have a Health Forum here in Proz???

Tip: Breaking Caffeine's Spell

We may not think about it as we're having a second cup of coffee or another can of cola, but caffeine is an addictive drug that four out of five American adults use every day. The problem with caffeine is that people love the "rush" - they feel more awake, more energized and more productive - but hate the "crash," which is accompanied by symptoms such as irritability, headaches and sluggishness, indicating to the body that it needs more caffeine.

If you feel you may be addicted to caffeine and wish to give it up, try doing so at a time when you are most relaxed, such as a long weekend. Make a commitment to try three caffeine-free days, and see how you feel afterwards. Be prepared to experience tiredness, irritability and a very bad headache, especially after avoiding caffeine for 24 hours. Prepare for these side effects by keeping yourself busy: take walks, spend time in the garden, or do other light, soothing activities. Avoid anything that may aggravate a headache, such as prolonged TV watching or reading in low light. These side-effects will eventually diminish - and are worth it in the long run.

If the side-effects are too much for you, consider weaning yourself off caffeine by gradually reducing your intake. Substitute green tea or decaffeinated coffee for caffeinated coffee, and drink water or fruit juice mixed with sparkling water in lieu of cola. Breathing exercises, physical exercise and a diet rich in whole grains, fruits and vegetables may also help reduce the severity of side-effects.

Direct link Reply with quote

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:39
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Do you WANT to break caffeine's spell? Nov 6, 2003

Some of us don't have a problem with caffeine!

It stops me biting my husband's head off (He can't help being male and he's really one of the best, except when he is completely stressed and impossible. He doesn't drink coffee...)

It keeps me awake long enough to work AND get some exercise.

It means breaks when I do my shoulder exercises and sit back properly on my chair and think about avoiding repeated strain injuries. I go outside and once round the house to get some air while waiting for the coffee to brew. (You can use tea or orange juice or any drink for this, but coffee works for me )

It makes those apples, carrots and hunks of ryebread and cheese I eat taste quite fantastic. OK, it does the same for chocolate, but I don't have so much of that in the house. (Guess who eats it!! )

In fact coffeine keeps my consumption of migraine pills to a minimum.

Tea is good, but I get waterlogged before I've had enough coffeine unless I supplement with coffee. Only six cups or so of each per day ...

Sleep? Well, I can't drink coffee when I sleep. But I don't miss it then either.

It's not the worst thing to be addicted to.
But if you're not happy with it, there are plenty of other vices!

[Edited at 2003-11-06 21:53]

[Edited at 2003-11-07 08:48]

[Edited at 2003-11-07 08:50]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tip: Breaking Caffeine's Spell

Advanced search

Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs