Thread poster: Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 21:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 10, 2003

For curious creatures such as ... ourselves!

Have a great week! Au

Our idea of boredom -- ennui, tedium, monotony, lassitude, mental doldrums -- has been a modern invention. The word "boredom" barely existed even a century ago. To "bore" meant, at first, something another person could do to you, specifically by speaking, too long, too rudely, and too irrelevantly. Boredom as silence, as empt
... See more
For curious creatures such as ... ourselves!

Have a great week! Au

Our idea of boredom -- ennui, tedium, monotony, lassitude, mental doldrums -- has been a modern invention. The word "boredom" barely existed even a century ago. To "bore" meant, at first, something another person could do to you, specifically by speaking, too long, too rudely, and too irrelevantly. Boredom as silence, as emptiness, as time unfilled -- was such a mental state even possible? Samuel Johnson, in the 18th century, tried hard to believe it was not, for curious creatures such as ourselves. "To be born in ignorance with a capacity of knowledge," he wrote, "and to be placed in the midst of a world filled with variety, perpetually pressing upon the senses and
irritating curiosity, is surely a sufficient security against" -- here no simple word came to his mind -- "the languishment of inattention."

James Gleick, American writer, ³Faster², 1999
Collapse

Cecilia5
Cecilia5
German to Italian
+ ...
of course in those times Nov 10, 2003

technical translations didn't exist!!

giogi
giogi
Local time: 01:49
just not to be bored... Nov 10, 2003

Boredom, according to Pascal, is proof of the existence of God, and proof also of our dissimilarity to the beasts.

It means that animals never feel bored...lucky them!!!!!!!!

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Amazing! Nov 10, 2003

Giovanna Rampone wrote:

Boredom, according to Pascal, is proof of the existence of God.

I guess Pascal had a very poor idea of God, if he demonstrated His existence through boredom!
Regards,
Enrique

Thierry LOTTE
Thierry LOTTE  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:49
Member (2001)
English to French
+ ...
Even better... Nov 11, 2003

Two Tango wrote :

I guess Pascal had a very poor idea of God, if he demonstrated His existence through boredom!

Pascal, talking about the believing in God, even said :

"I believe it because it is absurd"

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
.... Nov 11, 2003

Thierry LOTTE wrote:

"I believe it because it is absurd"

It sounds so human...

Au

Jean-Luc Dumont
Jean-Luc Dumont  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:49
English to French
+ ...
Whipped cream Nov 12, 2003

Voltaire said something like :

Let's live as much as we can, life can be just boredom or all whipped cream...

Gimme whipped cream and it wont be boring...and let's ignore the "absurd-ity"...

Jean-Luc

PS - Strawberries don't hurt either

Stephanie Mitchel
Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:49
French to English
whipped cream and other delights Nov 12, 2003

Seems to me that boredom (like laziness) is a byproduct of other emotions.. or you could say it's a choice - even when we feel it stealing over us. Every time I think I'm bored, my next thought is, where did my imagination get off to..? But it's not without its place: it's an excellent alarm bell when I'm not stretching my mind, and an excellent exercise, rather than waiting for something or someone to come along and cajole me out of it, is to turn to something that seemed somewhat beyond my rea... See more
Seems to me that boredom (like laziness) is a byproduct of other emotions.. or you could say it's a choice - even when we feel it stealing over us. Every time I think I'm bored, my next thought is, where did my imagination get off to..? But it's not without its place: it's an excellent alarm bell when I'm not stretching my mind, and an excellent exercise, rather than waiting for something or someone to come along and cajole me out of it, is to turn to something that seemed somewhat beyond my reach only recently when I was feeling (you guessed it) lazy.
Just my $2.50 (inflation, you know). Plus, I'm bored with this translation I'm working on :^)
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

About boredom...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »