Mobile menu

Off topic: Scam?
Thread poster: xxxSanmar
Local time: 13:01
English to Dutch
+ ...
Nov 24, 2003

I have put an item up for sale on the internet and have had various responses from West Africa amongst others. Two of these respondents state that people in the UK owe them money and suggest sending me a large cheque from which I deduct the price of the item (bike) after which I send the remaining amount to the shipping company. This sounds dodgy to me (especially with 2 people from the same region having a similar story!). Now, I have heard about the Nigeria scam whereby people ask to use your bank account in exchange for a sum of money but not of this one. Has anybody heard about this particular scam and how it works? Any info gratefully received.

Direct link Reply with quote

Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:01
German to Polish
+ ...
Delete and forget. Nov 24, 2003

Hilary Davies Shelby
United States
Local time: 07:01
German to English
Yes - scam Nov 24, 2003

Quite a well-documented one, too - I got LOADS of them when I had a car for sale on I would just do exactly what has already been suggested - delete and forget them. Best wishes,

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs