Mobile menu

Off topic: Donald Rumsfeld wins "Foot in Mouth" award from Plain English Campaign
Thread poster: louisajay
louisajay
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 2, 2003

From Sky News:

KNOWING YOUR UNKNOWNS

US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld has won the dubious honour of making the year's most baffling comment by a public figure.

Rumsfeld was awarded the "Foot in Mouth" award for a particularly confusing response at a press briefing, Britain's Plain English Campaign said.

The Defence Secretary said: "Reports that say something hasn't happened are interesting to me, because as we know, there are known unknowns; there are things we know we know.

"We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns - the ones we don't know we don't know."

Campaign spokesman John Lister said: "We think we know what he means. But we don't know if we really know."

Rumsfeld took the booby prize ahead of a bizarre effort from actor-turned politician Arnold Schwarzenegger.

"I think that gay marriage is something that should be between a man and a woman," the new California Governor said.

Direct link Reply with quote

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 09:12
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Posted yesterday Dec 2, 2003

Hi Louisajay

It was posted yesterday and it already has some comments
http://www.proz.com/topic/16316

louisajay
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Claudia! Dec 2, 2003

I hadn't looked at that one, thanks for letting me know! I see Arnie's quote isn't on that thread though, I found that one just as funny!

Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:12
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Knownsense Dec 2, 2003

So is the double posting an unknown unknown or an unknown known?

Said Kaljanac a.k.a. SARAJ  Identity Verified
Belgium
Bosnian to French
+ ...
It depends on which side of the double duality you are Dec 2, 2003

Klaus Herrmann wrote:

So is the double posting an unknown unknown or an unknown known?

1) If you knew that there was a posting but didn't know the content of it, then it is a known unkown. But if you didn't know that there is such a posting then you, of course did not know its content and you are in the situation of the unkown unknown. This is the undeliberately ignorantly unkown double side.

2) But, as a matter of fact, if you knew that there was such a posting and if you knew its content, then it is a known known. The same thing applies for the situation in which you would know that the existence of the content, but not the one of such a posting which would be defined as an unknown known. As opposed to the undeliberately ignorantly unkown double side mentioned earlier, this is a deliberately non-ignorantly known double side.

This double duality might be questioned by many people and I completely understand them, but they even do not realize that they are in situation of unkown known upside down complex, meaning that they refuse to admit that things unknown to them might be known by someone like me who realized that I know only one thing which is the fact that I know nothing at all after having pretended that I knew everything in those times when actually I knew nothing at all.

Cheers
Said

[Edited at 2003-12-02 19:08]

Agnieszka Hayward
Poland
German to Polish
+ ...
Saraj, you're brilliant Dec 2, 2003

and Mr. Donald Rumsfeld definately needs more sleep...

xxxPaul Roige
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yeap... Dec 3, 2003

tygru wrote:

... a long one!
P

Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:12
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Absolutely! Dec 3, 2003

Paul Roigé wrote:

tygru wrote:

... a long one!
P

Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
in Italian Dec 4, 2003

For those of you who speak Italian http://www.corriere.it/Primo_Piano/Esteri/2003/12_Dicembre/04/rumsfeld.shtml
In this case, however, "Foot in mouth award" was translated "Premio stai zitto", something like "Shut up award" - they recognize it's quite a loose translation.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Donald Rumsfeld wins "Foot in Mouth" award from Plain English Campaign

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs