Mobile menu

Off topic: DOG TRANSLATION DEVICE...(ENJOY IT!!!)
Thread poster: Robert INGLEDEW

Robert INGLEDEW  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 13:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 21, 2003

Something completely new in the translation business. Have a good laugh (sorry, a good bark...)

http://edition.cnn.com/2003/TECH/biztech/03/24/tech.dogs.language.reut/index.html

Regards from Argentina

Roberto

Direct link Reply with quote

Agnieszka Hayward
Poland
Local time: 17:36
German to Polish
+ ...
Lovely idea Dec 22, 2003

undoubtedly brings us, humble humans, a step closer to our 4-legged friends.

However, as an owner of 2 mad cats, I am a bit sad and at the same time happy to read the last paragraph in the link you provided...

Meow!
-Agnieszka-

xxxPaul Roige
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Japanese ingenuity Dec 22, 2003

Robert INGLEDEW wrote:
Something completely new in the translation business. Have a good laugh (sorry, a good bark...)
http://edition.cnn.com/2003/TECH/biztech/03/24/tech.dogs.language.reut/index.html
Regards from Argentina
Roberto

I mean, do Japanese dogs bark the same stuff as their US counterparts? What does a Japanese pooch bark when it finds the remains of a Sushi feast or a whale collarbone? Unheard of in American Macdoggyland, I say! And what about the Spanish ones? Take an Andalusian pooch to a holiday camp with Patagonian mongrels and then tell us what they talked about and if they actually understood each other at all! What do you do with ¡guau guau!, ouah ouah! and woof woof! ? Do they mean the same or do they depend on context and location?
I'm not buying it. Actually, I don't even have a doggie. But one day I'll get a golden retriever... and that one will become barkbilingual through sheer practice!
Is it a Sony too?
P

two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 13:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
Amazing Dec 22, 2003

I guess these translations will be rated many cents per surce bark, until the agency decides to cut costs to the bone.
Will they be digitalized in bites?
Q

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:36
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Barking mad Dec 22, 2003

Sounds barking mad to me. I fear this product will be dogged by difficulties and may even be hounded out of business.

Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
LOL! Dec 22, 2003

By the way, see also http://www.proz.com/topic/12711
And some time ago I even saw in a newspaper the same device for little babies, which some years before I had seen in a Simpsons episode http://www.snpp.com/episodes/8F23.html. I had thought it was just sci-fi, but I was wrong!

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
You mean all that time and effort I've spent on Trados was wasted? ;-) Dec 22, 2003

tygru wrote:

However, as an owner of 2 mad cats, I am a bit sad and at the same time happy to read the last paragraph in the link you provided...

Meow!
-Agnieszka-

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DOG TRANSLATION DEVICE...(ENJOY IT!!!)

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs