Off topic: People to avoid in this New Year's Eve Party
Thread poster: Edwal Rospigliosi

Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:50
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 26, 2003

There is one in every party:

a) The guy who thinks he's a lady's man, and hits on all the women, even though the women really don't like him and try to avoid him.

b) The woman who just broke up with her boyfriend, and has to tell EVERYBODY her story ...complete with tears.

c) The guy who thinks he can dance to the music ...NOT

d) The much older man or woman who dresses too young for their age, and still thinks they're cool (usually these are baby boomers).

e) The guy who gets way too plastered way too early in the evening and ends up sleeping soundly on the couch through the rest of the night, despite the massive amounts of noise all around him.

f) The guy who stands off in the corner, not really interacting with anyone, but observing everything that's going on with a keen intensity that suggests he wants to chronicle every second of every event to perfection in his mind.

g) Someone who's laughing just a wee bit too loudly...and at everything

h) The political/social activist, who has to tell everyone of their pet cause -- whether you're interested or not.

i) The goth type who is way too cool to be amused by anything.

j) Everybody's Sweetie! Her mating call is "I'm so DRUNK!"

k) The toucher. Male or female. Has to lay their hand on your arm, on your shoulder, stand right next to you, lean to close - GET AWAY!

And last, but not least: The "phantom vomiter." You know, you go into the bathroom and smell something, pull aside the shower curtain and Bam! there it is. But no one owns up.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
RHELLER
United States
Local time: 02:50
French to English
+ ...
Thanks, Edwal :-) Dec 26, 2003

I have to send that one to all my friends!

Some of those characters sound just a little bit too familiar, right?

Happy New Year to the proz gang!
Rita


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxPaul Roige
Spain
Local time: 10:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
Lemme think... Dec 26, 2003

Edwal Rospigliosi wrote:

There is one in every party:

a) The guy who thinks he's a lady's man, and hits on all the women, even though the women really don't like him and try to avoid him.

b) The woman who just broke up with her boyfriend, and has to tell EVERYBODY her story ...complete with tears.

c) The guy who thinks he can dance to the music ...NOT

d) The much older man or woman who dresses too young for their age, and still thinks they're cool (usually these are baby boomers).

e) The guy who gets way too plastered way too early in the evening and ends up sleeping soundly on the couch through the rest of the night, despite the massive amounts of noise all around him.

f) The guy who stands off in the corner, not really interacting with anyone, but observing everything that's going on with a keen intensity that suggests he wants to chronicle every second of every event to perfection in his mind.

g) Someone who's laughing just a wee bit too loudly...and at everything

h) The political/social activist, who has to tell everyone of their pet cause -- whether you're interested or not.

i) The goth type who is way too cool to be amused by anything.

j) Everybody's Sweetie! Her mating call is "I'm so DRUNK!"

k) The toucher. Male or female. Has to lay their hand on your arm, on your shoulder, stand right next to you, lean to close - GET AWAY!

And last, but not least: The "phantom vomiter." You know, you go into the bathroom and smell something, pull aside the shower curtain and Bam! there it is. But no one owns up.



I decided long time ago I am not cool, not a lady's man (then I'm married so, hey watch it), I tend to touch people (inherited habit), corners are eventually boring, can't dance gracefully, haven't a tearful story to tell, can't hear what people say because of loud music, the loud music is normally awful, don't know how loud is too loud when I laugh, I tend to rant against Mussolini after two martinis, I'd possibly get a fine for using an ashtray, I see etiquette as a price tag to be removed, I used to be approached often by gay individuals in my bachelor days (NEVER by that gorgeous brunette!!!!!), I'm physically unable to vomit (so, if it doesn't come out, it stays IN) and, last but not least, there will be cool fireworks at New Brighton beach.

Party goers the world over, one less to worry about!!
Happy New Year then!
P


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Andy Watkinson
Spain
Local time: 10:50
Member
Catalan to English
+ ...
I tend to rant against Mussolini after two martinis, Dec 27, 2003

What about when he's sober?

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:50
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
? Dec 27, 2003

andycw wrote:

What about when he's sober?


Him or Mussolini?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Andy Watkinson
Spain
Local time: 10:50
Member
Catalan to English
+ ...
I wouldn't address Paul as "he"...... Dec 27, 2003

.....that's the whole point)
Never mind.

Felices Fiestas,

Edwal Rospigliosi wrote:

andycw wrote:

What about when he's sober?


Him or Mussolini?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:50
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
My own reaction Dec 27, 2003

was the Martini that bad?

I'll never know what they mean by "dry Martini". The few I've tried have been sweet by my standards...


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
You forgot one... Dec 29, 2003

Edwal Rospigliosi wrote:
There is one in every party:



The pesky Spaniard who, no matter what continent she is in, will insist on initiating everyone in the room to the oh-so-dangerous ritual of the 12 grapes...even if she has to bang on a kitchen pot to simulate the "campanadas"...guilty as charged

Happy New Year to all of you!

Susana


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:50
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That reminds me... Dec 29, 2003

[quote]Susana Galilea wrote:


The pesky Spaniard who, no matter what continent she is in, will insist on initiating everyone in the room to the oh-so-dangerous ritual of the 12 grapes...even if she has to bang on a kitchen pot to simulate the "campanadas"...guilty as charged

Happy New Year to all of you!

Susana


Also, the pesky Peruvian who will take a bunch of "ruda" (a kind of foul-smelling bush considered as lucky charm) branches and whip everybody in sight with it, to give them "luck". Ouch!

Not me, fortunately

Happy New Year everybody!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:50
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
That's nothing Dec 29, 2003

compared to the Filipino with that innocent "patay-mali" ("who, me"?) look when he's reminded about bans on illegal types of fireworks. Yes, the same guy who invites you to the New Year's party in his house and jumps with glee at 12:00 midnight when his garden begins to explode like another Chernobyl.

Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

People to avoid in this New Year's Eve Party

Advanced search






SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums