Off topic: Graffiti taggers and respect
Thread poster: Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:28
German to English
Jan 23, 2004

Here's a newspaper article I'd like to share. I am in awe of Bruno Mariscal's message of peace to those who might feel like destroying his creation.

"A roadside sign bearing a colorful image and ecological messages now greets motorists traveling between Chapala and Guadalajara. Those approaching the lakeside area are welcomed by a stunning sunrise panorama and the legend "Lake Chapala – Life for All." Drivers headed in the opposite direction are met by a send-off reading, "Take ca
... See more
Here's a newspaper article I'd like to share. I am in awe of Bruno Mariscal's message of peace to those who might feel like destroying his creation.

"A roadside sign bearing a colorful image and ecological messages now greets motorists traveling between Chapala and Guadalajara. Those approaching the lakeside area are welcomed by a stunning sunrise panorama and the legend "Lake Chapala – Life for All." Drivers headed in the opposite direction are met by a send-off reading, "Take care of your ecosystem. Remember that extinction is forever." The design, painting and calligraphy were created by Ajijic artist Bruno Mariscal. In dreaming up a replacement for the previous sign, Mariscal came up with a novel concept to protect his work. He has left a wide band of white along the base of the monument as "canvas" for those who might be tempted to deface the sign. Next to a large arrow pointing to the free area, the artist inked in the following note:

"Amigo Graffitero, this message is for you. My art is different from yours. I will always respect yours. I ask that you please respect mine. I don't know you, but you are my friend. I leave this space for you."

Is there a message here for ProZ and KudoZ???

Kim

[Edited at 2004-01-23 18:24]
Collapse

asil
asil
Local time: 19:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Now we will see... Jan 23, 2004

if taggers can respect others as much as they wnat other to respect them...the designer's idea is great, although I don't think the empty white space will be enough for taggers and graffiters, most of them simply don't know the word "respect"...

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:28
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Question Jan 23, 2004

It is a nice story.

Kim Metzger wrote:
Is there a message here for ProZ and KudoZ???

In what sense?

Gianfranco

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Graffiti taggers and respect

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »