Mobile menu

Off topic: What was your freest translation ever?
Thread poster: schmurr

schmurr  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:13
Italian to German
+ ...
Jan 24, 2004

After awarding myself the record for the shortest translation for having rendered 23 Italian words with just 5 German ones ,
I'm now after the record for the freest translation:
for the Italian equivalent of
"At what time does the Colosseum open?"
I put the German equivalent of
"Hats off!"

Now, you must know that the Italian was not the normal "A che ora..." but "A ke ora": in fact the article was about SMS, and not having found any German SMS abbreviation that could be used in a cultural context (most of them are understood by SMS addicts only, anyway), I chose "attention" = "8ung" and made "Well done!" of it: "Alle 8ung!"

I'd like to learn about your freest translations!
Martin from Udine

[Edited at 2004-01-24 10:35]

Direct link Reply with quote
Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
Wow! Jan 24, 2004

Great translation Martin, hats off 2 U! That's quite an interesting topic. I don't remember precisely a single free translation of mine, but when I translate marketing texts (not really advertising copy, but sort of) I sometimes have to forget the original and invent something completely different in Italian. I know the Italian public and the German public, for one, have different tastes. Of course I do so only if my client allows me to.

[Edited at 2004-01-24 11:23]

MJ Barber  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Spanish - English Jan 26, 2004

Not a translation as such, but a Madrid metro loudspeaker announcement:

La próxima estación está en curva. Al salir del tren tengan cuidado de no introducir el pie entre coche y andén.

Literal translation: The next station is on a curve. On leaving the train take care not to get your foot trapped between the carriage and the platform.

The equivalent on the London Underground: Mind the Gap.

21 --> 3 !

Robert INGLEDEW  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:13
English to Spanish
+ ...

or you will soon be out of business...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What was your freest translation ever?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs