Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:31
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Aug 2, 2010

Could not help laughing at this English translation:

Talking about the best performance of each continent in World Cups:

Africa Wednesdays (Shrimps/90; Senegal/2002 Ghana 2010)
Oceania End octaves (Australia, 2006)

(In the first case the original was "quartas". The idea is of course quarter-finals but it was translated as Wednesdays, being the same in Portuguese)

(In the second case the original was "camarões". Camarões are indeed shri
... See more
Could not help laughing at this English translation:

Talking about the best performance of each continent in World Cups:

Africa Wednesdays (Shrimps/90; Senegal/2002 Ghana 2010)
Oceania End octaves (Australia, 2006)

(In the first case the original was "quartas". The idea is of course quarter-finals but it was translated as Wednesdays, being the same in Portuguese)

(In the second case the original was "camarões". Camarões are indeed shrimps, which we eat, but the country Camarões is of course Cameroon and never "Shrimps"!)

"End octaves" is, perhaps more surprisingly, the round of 16 ("oitavas", which in the musical sense is indeed "octaves", but in the footballing sense is the round of 16)

Other excerpts equally baffling:

"Brazil possesses the selection with more world titles, the only country pentacampeão and the only to have won the tournament out of your (!) continent. It is also the only country to have participated in all the Championships, fact of little relevance because the preliminary rounds very easy healthy sulamericanas and the Brazilian Selection of soccer never boycotted a cup. The selection tetracampeã of Italy, the only tetracampeã, is followed the only three-time champion Germany, the two-time champions Argentina and Uruguay and, finally, the selections of England and of France, with an only title."

"The first two departures of the Cup happened simultaneously, being due for France and USA, that expired to Mexico for 4 to 1 and Belgium for 3 to 0, respectively. The first goal in World cups was marked by the French player Lucien Laurent. At end it was between Uruguay and Argentina, tends the Uruguayans won the game by 4 to 2, in the Centennial Stadium, in Montevidéu, with a dear public (!) of 93 thousand spectators. The gunner of this tournament was the Argentinean Guillermo Stábile.

The forest-forest phase is a phase of fast elimination. Each selection just plays a departure in each apprenticeship of the phase (rounds before the quarter finals, quarter finals, semi-final and end) and to winner it passes for the next apprenticeship. In case of tie in the normal time the departure is taken for the extension and if the tie persists there is the dispute of penalties. The two eliminated selections of the semi-final make a game before to final for us to decide the third and fourth place.

In the first phase (groups) the selections are placed in eight groups of four participants. Eight selections are the head-of-key of each group (the selections considered stronger) and the another are raffled. Since 1998 I raffle it is it done with that never two European and more selections than a selection of the same confederation is in the same group. In the phase of groups each selection plays a departure against the selections of your group, and the two that more punctuate if they classify for the phase of the forest-forest. Since 1994 the victory in a departure is worth three points, the tie an and the defeat none. Before, each victory was worth two points."
Collapse

Fabian Deckwirth
Fabian Deckwirth  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:31
Member (2010)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Hahaha Aug 2, 2010

My favorite: "The forest-forest phase". Mata-mata...

Not bad either for its sheer grammatical anarchy: "Since 1998 I raffle it is it done..."

What if Shrimps play Turkey one day? Will the game be played in Lima or in Istanbul?

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:31
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Baffled Aug 2, 2010

I always thought football was pretty impenetrable - now I know for sure ...
Jenny

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Football impenetrable? How about cricket? Aug 2, 2010

This definition of cricket is pretty impenetrable too.

Cricket

You have two sides one out in the field and one in.

Each man that's in the side that goes in goes out and when he's out he come in and the next man goes in until he's out.

When they are all out the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in out.

When both sides have been in and out including not outs, that's the
... See more

Cricket

Each man that's in the side that goes in goes out and when he's out he come in and the next man goes in until he's out.

When they are all out the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in out.

When both sides have been in and out including not outs, that's the end of the game.
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 03:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
These are the pitfalls Aug 2, 2010

of MT and TM-based "translations" being handled by inept "translators", which I find is ever more commonplace nowadays.
They results may occasionally be amusing, but the big picture is increasingly disconcerting.
How is a client to know if they are getting a pig in poke?
How are professional translators supposed to differentiate themselves from the legions of numpties out there?
Food for thought...

Serban Oprescu
Serban Oprescu
Romania
Local time: 04:31
English to Romanian
+ ...
Quality in translations Aug 2, 2010

neilmac wrote:

of MT and TM-based "translations" being handled by inept "translators", which I find is ever more commonplace nowadays.
They results may occasionally be amusing, but the big picture is increasingly disconcerting.
How is a client to know if they are getting a pig in poke?
How are professional translators supposed to differentiate themselves from the legions of numpties out there?
Food for thought...

Indeed, the appreciation of our work may depend entirely on factors that have nothing to do with accuracy and elegance. The customer might never know the intelligent solutions we found for this or that situation, and, rather often, might not care. He or she could judge our work based on "I don't like the way it sounds", or "According to my knowledge of this language, This means That" - and could, of course, be wrong.
And finally, what decision should a translator make between translating correctly a badly-written document, or go for comprehensiveness, but depart from the written source?
Unless the customer has the tools - and interest - to understand and evaluate our work, we are all exposed.

Kemal Mustajbegovic
Kemal Mustajbegovic  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:31
English to Croatian
+ ...
Absolutely fantastic, Jack Aug 3, 2010

Jack Doughty wrote:

Cricket

When both sides have been in and out including not outs, that's the end of the game.

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:31
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cricket Aug 3, 2010

The description of the game of cricket is one of my favourites too, in fact I have it in my blog at http://paul-translator.blogspot.com/2010/04/british-curiosities-2-curiosidades.html - together with other curiosities about this typically British sport.

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Priceless (without value?!) Aug 4, 2010

France and USA, that expired to Mexico
if the tie persists there is the dispute of penalties
The gunner of this tournament...
to winner it passes for the next apprenticeship
etc.

And we may get told off for missing a hyphen!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lost in Translation

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »