Off topic: Jutlandish: Complete sentence with all-vowel single-letter words
Thread poster: Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:14
English to Danish
+ ...
Jan 29, 2004

In the Western Danish dialect Jutlandish, it is possible to construct a complete sentence using only all-vowel single-letter words:

a e u o æ ø i æ å, e a! (depending on subdialect)

Word-for-word meaning: I am out on the island in the river, am I!

Real Jutlandish is unintelligible for most people from the rest of Denmark, and therefore some linguists see Jutlandish as a separate language. Unfortunately, Jutlandish is disappe
... See more
In the Western Danish dialect Jutlandish, it is possible to construct a complete sentence using only all-vowel single-letter words:

a e u o æ ø i æ å, e a! (depending on subdialect)

Word-for-word meaning: I am out on the island in the river, am I!

Real Jutlandish is unintelligible for most people from the rest of Denmark, and therefore some linguists see Jutlandish as a separate language. Unfortunately, Jutlandish is disappearing in many parts, being replaced by standard Danish. You only hear it in the the country-side, from older people or less educated individuals. Television and mass communication is taking its toll.
Besides pronounciation and terminology differences, Jutlandish also differs from standard Danish grammatically. One example is the position of the definite article.

In standard Danish, Jutlandish and English, the indefinite article goes before the noun, e.g. DAN "et hus" = JUT "en hus" = ENG "a house").

In standard Danish, the definite article is a suffix (-et) on the noun, e.g. DAN "huset" = ENG "the house". But in Jutlandish, like English, the definite article goes before the noun, e.g. JUT "æ hus" = ENG "the house".
Collapse

JessicaC
JessicaC  Identity Verified
English to Swedish
+ ...
Connection? Jan 29, 2004

Maybe this is connected to a well known
Swedish example in a dialect called
"Värmländska" by Swedish poet Gustaf Fröding.

The sentence is "Å i åa ä e ö" which means
"And in the creek there is an island"

A translation of the story into Swedish
... See more
Maybe this is connected to a well known
Swedish example in a dialect called
"Värmländska" by Swedish poet Gustaf Fröding.

The sentence is "Å i åa ä e ö" which means
"And in the creek there is an island"

A translation of the story into Swedish
can be found at

http://w1.548.telia.com/~u54808711/inswedish/katrin/Dialekter/Varmlandska/sv-froding.html
Collapse

Lorenzo Lilli
Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
In my home town... Jan 29, 2004

... ie Bergamo (north of Italy; by the way, mentioned by Shakespeare in A Midsummer Night's Dream), we also speak a dialect with an all-vowel sentence: aì a ù a é i ae? That is: are you going to see the bees, too?

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Scenario in the Philippines (Tagalog) Jan 29, 2004

Elevator door opens to a line of waiting people. The first one in line asks:

Bababa ba?
([Is this elevator] going down?)

Daniel Meier
Daniel Meier  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Here´s one from Vienna Jan 29, 2004

A musician of the Vienna philharmonic orchestra pointing to his score, asking the conductor:

"Is des des des, des des des sei soll?"

(Is this the d flat you meant?)

And, as a variation to the topic of this thread, a complete sentence with all-consonant words in Czech:

Strc prst skrz krk.
or written with Czech diacritical signs:
Strè prst skrz krk.

Which means something like "Put your finger through your neck." (
... See more
A musician of the Vienna philharmonic orchestra pointing to his score, asking the conductor:

"Is des des des, des des des sei soll?"

(Is this the d flat you meant?)

And, as a variation to the topic of this thread, a complete sentence with all-consonant words in Czech:

Strc prst skrz krk.
or written with Czech diacritical signs:
Strè prst skrz krk.

Which means something like "Put your finger through your neck." (note: the Czech people love nonsense rhymes).

[Edited at 2004-01-29 20:19]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Jutlandish: Complete sentence with all-vowel single-letter words

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »