Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: Tuning in to the BBC online... well, trying.
Thread poster: Emérentienne

Emérentienne
France
Local time: 03:18
English to French
Feb 10, 2004

Hello everyone,
Could someone provide a few tips about how to connect to the BBC radio online. I have been trying again and again with no success. There's nothing wrong with my broadband connection or my PC setup and media player as I get the Johannesburg 702 radio loud and clear. I know it's got nothing to do with distance - I live in Southern France - but the relative proximity makes it all the more frustrating...

I can't think of the reason why the BBC site shuts down every time I click on "listen now" and swings me back to the program I left open in the background.

Any help appreciated.
Cécile

Direct link Reply with quote

Karin Walker  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Try another browser Feb 10, 2004

Hi Cecile,

Have you tried opening the 'Listen' page using another browser window? I cannot listen using Netscape, it will only work with the AOL proprietary browser or MS explorer.

Sorry I can't offer more alternatives. Maybe someone else will.

From one BBC addict to another
K.

lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
.ram file Feb 10, 2004

peuvent etre ecoutees avec Real Player

Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
install the Internet Explorer again Feb 10, 2004

It seems the Internet Explorer "wears out" after countless hours of use. Removing the existing one and installing a new one helps.

That might be the problem & solution. I'm not sure, of course.

Emérentienne
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
.ram files ? Feb 10, 2004

lien wrote:

peuvent etre ecoutees avec Real Player

Look, Lien, I'm not fluent when it comes to IT - and that must be the understatement of the month - which means I can't read between the lines. Do you mind getting into a little more details ?
Sanx.

lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
It is not me Feb 10, 2004

Cecile Watrin wrote:

[Do you mind getting into a little more details ?
Sanx.

When I tried to connect to the BBC radio 1 (on the site you can choose several radios) to check what you said, I got a pop up window telling : window cannot open this file, [with .ram above in the box]. Choose the programme you want to open it, bla bla, and comes a list with only one program to choose from : real player. I have the old version of window multimedia (la 8 je crois) and music match, I throwed out Real Player it took to much space on my drive. Thus, I think .ram file can only open in real player.

Jeremy Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:18
French to English
+ ...
real player Feb 10, 2004

Download the Real Player here:

http://uk.real.com/freeplayer_r1p.html?&src=ZG.uk.idx.rp_ann.760.rp_ann

The link to download the free player is on the right-handd side. If you're on a dial up connection, the player isusually found on the free CDs you get with computer magazines. The BBC site supports the Real Player only - not Windows Media Player.

Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
You need Real Player... Feb 10, 2004

You need at least the free version of real player to listen to BBC radio - it won't work with other players. There is a link on the radio player page that says something like "having problems listening live? click here" - that'll take you to the site that allows you to download real player.

HTH

Alison

Emérentienne
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Alison and Jeremy Feb 10, 2004

Your explanations sound like you hit my little problem right on the head - I was on Windows Media player.

Thank you very much. I will do as instructed.
These forums really are useful.

Cheers
Cécile

[Edited at 2004-02-10 19:33]

David Villarruel  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 23:18
English to Spanish
BBC - RealPlayer Feb 10, 2004

Hi Cecile,

Perhaps you should try with RealPlayer, it works perfectly with the BBC on my PC (and I live in Argentina!!!).
If you don't have it, you can go to:
www.radio-now.co.uk
there you'll find a lot of radio stations from the UK, including the BBC, and there is a link to download RealPlayer.
I hope this can help you.
See you
David

Lesley Clayton
France
French to English
+ ...
Will this work for video news reports too? Feb 11, 2004

I've had exactly the same problem, but like you, I only have the Windows media player.

DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
BBC video & audio online Feb 11, 2004

Lesley Clayton wrote:

I've had exactly the same problem, but like you, I only have the Windows media player.

I believe you do have to use Realplayer to view video (as well as hear audio clips) from the BBC.

Emérentienne
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Got through. Feb 11, 2004

Dr. Giuli Kvrivishvili wrote:
I believe you do have to use Realplayer to view video (as well as hear audio clips) from the BBC.

Yes, simple as that. Download the basic free version of Realone Player using the link posted above by Jeremy and you can listen to the BBC. I think viewing videos actually requires the payment of a fee. Not sure.
cw

DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
Video clips (BBC) Feb 11, 2004

Cecile Watrin wrote:

Dr. Giuli Kvrivishvili wrote:

Yes, simple as that. Download the basic free version of Realone Player using the link posted above by Jeremy and you can listen to the BBC. I think viewing videos actually requires the payment of a fee. Not sure.
cw

I was thinking of the shortish online video clips from domestic or BBC world service news, eg. at:
http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/default.stm
which normally can be watched freely with Real player. I'm not aware of any long "video programs" which they "broadcast" on the internet (unlike some quite long radio programmes, which they do broadcast on the internet).

[Edited at 2004-02-11 17:10]

But now I am aware of longer internet video broadcasts, thanks to Jeremy below I hadn't run into them....

[Edited at 2004-02-12 01:33]

Jeremy Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
news programme Feb 12, 2004

You can watch the entire latest news bulletin (sometimes full half hour long programmes free of charge using Real Player) -

Direct link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsa/n5ctrl/tvseq/news_ost.ram

I think a few other programmes are left on the net for free viewing for a limited time (very few programmes though).

I personally prefer Channel 4 news (another British channel), as I find BBC news has been dumbed down a little over the past couple of years. Channel 4 news (50 min daily programme) can also be viewed using realplayer.

Direct link: http://www.channel4.co.uk/news/c4n.ram

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tuning in to the BBC online... well, trying.

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs