Off topic: International Mother Language Day (Feb 21)
Thread poster: Subhamay Ray (X)
Subhamay Ray (X)
Subhamay Ray (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:57
English to Bengali
+ ...
Feb 21, 2004

“Following a proposal made by Bangladesh, UNESCO created International Mother Language Day in 1999. The date chosen was 21st February in commemoration of the movement in which five students died in on this date in 1952 defending recognition of Bangla as a state language of the former Pakistan, the eastern part of which became Bangladesh after the war of liberation.

jaswinder singh
jaswinder singh  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 04:57
English to Punjabi
+ ...
changing world and mother tongue Feb 22, 2004

At the time, when world is shrinking, when globalisation still brings the english US or UK to the forefront and jobs are limited to people knowing english(spoken or written), the awareness of one's mother tongue is much more important. We as language experts and natives as well should give respect to the mothertongue and with them be near to our culture and our roots. Though with onslaught of globalisation, one see the changed face of mothertongue and sometimes it is painful as well. The languag... See more
At the time, when world is shrinking, when globalisation still brings the english US or UK to the forefront and jobs are limited to people knowing english(spoken or written), the awareness of one's mother tongue is much more important. We as language experts and natives as well should give respect to the mothertongue and with them be near to our culture and our roots. Though with onslaught of globalisation, one see the changed face of mothertongue and sometimes it is painful as well. The languages of politically incorrect or marginalised people are facing the burn of it.
Sometimes back we had to compromise on our language, just because the client didn't knew the language and the vetter him/her self had limitation in the language-may be because of other culture's values or may be because he/she felt ashamed of his/her language. Do you tell your mother to get out of your house, just because she now looks old or ugly in comparison to your wife or beloved??????
Let's hope, people become more aware, responsible and reponsive to the call of their mothertongue!!!!
Collapse

Elissaveta Toteva (X)
Elissaveta Toteva (X)
Local time: 02:27
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Which is my mother tongue ... Feb 24, 2004

and which is native language?
My mother was Russian. My father was Bulgarian. I am born in Germany. The whole my life passed in Bulgaria. So, on your opinion, which is my mother tongue?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

International Mother Language Day (Feb 21)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »