Off topic: Have you ever had this kind of dream?
Thread poster: RafaLee
RafaLee
Australia
Local time: 19:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 24, 2004

Have you dreamed that you were in a foreign place and spoke a language that you do not understand at all?

RafaLee

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxBombero
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not quite Feb 24, 2004

No, but I spent a long time in Germany, and even though my German is mediocre at best, I had dialogue in my dreams there where I spoke perfect German--and I understood every word.

RafaLee wrote:

Have you dreamed that you were in a foreign place and spoke a language that you do not understand at all?

RafaLee

Kevin Schlottmann  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:05
German to English
Kind of... Feb 24, 2004

I was once sick with a fever, and vaguely recall reading ancient French troubadour poems. This happened about a year before I began studying French...

RafaLee wrote:

RafaLee

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:35
English to Tamil
+ ...
I had a similar dream involving my father Feb 24, 2004

For my late father the subject of mathematics remained a horror. And when I was studying in the fourth year of my 5-year engineering course, way back in 1968, I dreamt that he was taking our maths class teaching us Laplace transformation. And he was really good at it. The next day when I related this dream to him, he laughed out loud at the very idea. And then he was curious to know whether he taught correctly at all. When I replied in the affirmative he was just thrilled.
One of our famous Tamil writers, Sujatha, wrote that the mind plays a trick and combines two or more things at random in the sub-concious. Thus it is quite possible that the American president George Bush (the father) gets to sing a duet with the French authoress George sand in one's dream.
Regards,
N.Raghavan

[Edited at 2004-02-24 10:52]

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Why dream? Feb 24, 2004

RafaLee wrote:
That's the everyday experience of many tourists.

Hilary Davies Shelby
United States
Local time: 04:05
German to English
Re: Reading ancient French poems... Feb 25, 2004

oooh...xenoglossy?

RafaLee
Australia
Local time: 19:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thats it, xenoglossy! Feb 25, 2004

Hilary Davies wrote:

oooh...xenoglossy?

Thats the word, xenoglossy!

I have experienced xenoglossy when I was little. I spoke a kinda Eastern European language, which I did not understand, to a number of Eastern European officials during the communist era.

I also had a passion for Eastern European and Middle Eastern stuffs. I remembered I managed to be able to write down Indonesian language in Russian cyrillic alphabet just after 1-2 hours study when I was 8 years old.
It was pretty strange..

RafaLee

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Have you ever had this kind of dream?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs